DVD-ROM booktype DVD+R compatibility?

I had read somewhere some time ago that normal DVD-R has about 90% compatibility with commercial DVD players, and that DVD+R has about 80% or so.

I’ll assume that this is without the bitsetting done.

If I have the booktype set at DVD-ROM, then there shouldn’t be a reason for me to get DVD-R for making movies, right?

if your burner support bitsetting, you can of course use DVD+ medias in combination with your commercial DVD player. they will be then auto. be recognized as DVD-ROM

One thing to note --> Bitsetting will make a difference only on some (old/funky) dvd players that are rejecting discs just by looking at the booktype - in other words, the player is actually capable of playing DVD+R (as in modified optics etc ), but is not willing to just because its a DVD+R.
In this case you can set the booktype and fool the player.
If the player is not capable of playing a DVD+R ( as in lets say an older laser pickup), then a bitset DVD+R won’t work either.

Thanks!

Don’t trust such statistics at face value. Nobody can test all kinds of DVD media on all kinds of DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. Imagine how many combinations of firmware, bitsetting, media batch, software, player engine, and others could have existed.

Therefore, often it is up to “what you test is what you get” basis.

Visit DVDPlusRW.org, DVDRHelp.com, CDFreaks.com (here), CDRLabs.com, CDRinfo.com, DVD+RW Alliance, DVD Forum, DVD Demystified’s DVD FAQ (by John Taylor), CNET, Tom’s Hardware Guide, Anandtech, Doom9.org, Mitsubishi, DigiTimes, BeAll, Princo, and many other sources and every site and company will tell you differently. That’s a very short list of those I visited at least several times for DVD recordables between 1999 and 2003. Because standard means money means control means war, lies and propaganda flourish. Only because I’m a moderator here, I don’t talk much about “which format does what and not” issue.

One more thing is if you have a good DVD player recently designed, it is likely that your player will be able to recognize any DVD+R that are recorded properly you put in. A combination of high-quality DVD media plus players and drives ready for DVD recordables will work and it is not hard to get these days.

Well, I guess what I want to know is whether the DVD+R format has any other significant differences from a pressed DVD-ROM, besides the slightly lower reflectivity (but since all dvd players must read Dual layer DVD-ROMs this shouldnt be a problem, correct?), and the booktype setting?

If i have a DVD+R that can fool DVD players into thinking it’s a DVD-ROM, then are there any other factors that could cause that DVD+R to not play in the player?

Meaning, is DVD-R better than DVD+R w/booktype set at DVD-ROM?

I’m not looking for it to be read in some 5 year old hardware… it’s just that if i were to lend or sell a home-made DVD, I want to have the best compatibility rate, and most people would either have a newer DVD player or at least one that isn’t ancient.