DVD ripping question

vbimport

I was trying to make backups of two DVDs today - one from 1999, one released this year. I ripped them both, removed the extras and surround audio etc. and then noticed that, even though the movies had nearly identical running times, the one from 1999 fit comfortably on a DVD-R without compression, while the new one weighed in at a hefty 6 gigs - way over the limit. I went back to see what I might have missed, but there was no doubt - the files for the main feature were much bigger, despite the nearly identical run times.

Is this some trick the dvd manufacturers are pulling to prevent people like me from “backing up” their :cop: legally purchased movies ? Is there any way of dealing with it, besides splitting the movie to two discs or compressing the hell out of it?

That is just normal.

Split or use DVDShrink…

It is not a trick. It is normal. Most mainstream DVDs released today (fortunately) now use more of the available bitrates, which results in a noticably better picture quality especially for those viewing on larger displays. There are occasional exceptions, but the visual quality of most DVDs has increased dramatically in the past two to three years, and you have noticed one of the reasons for this.

Keep in mind those original discs are compressed already. And, the higher the compression rate, the more likely you will be able to see picture degradation (artifacting, macroblocking, pixel breakups, smearing, etc.) Four years ago, most discs released were full of this. Today, consumers have demanded a higher quality, and the industry had to respond. The (relative) success of Superbit DVDs showed Hollywood that there is an audience who cares quite a bit about picture quality. (Note – it is not JUST Superbit discs which brought about these changes, but they were one factor… Hollywood noticed how many people were buying certain discs because the transfer was so good, or the restoration was was so good). For awhile, there, it seemed almost a backlash against the “loaded extras.” Note how some studios are now experimenting with a 1 disc and 2 disc release, simultaneously. It satisfies those who demand high picture quality, and rakes in extra money for those who insist on the “extras.”

Solutions – Split. You can then keep 100% of the image quality. Or, use a dual layer blank disc. You can then keep 100% of the image quality. Or, go ahead and compress (with a program like DVDShrink) and gamble with the final result.

-Bruce

Or cut as much off as you can.

Most new movies end and start credits can take a long time and thus quite a few hundred MB’s on a disk. Cut them all out and it might fit on the DVD-5, or even if it doesnt you will need less compression.

Good information. Thanks, guys!