DVD Ripping Problem

I think this is a newbie question, but it involves DVD stuff and I have seen problems posted in dvd forum so I will put it in DVD and I think it should be hardware but not sure, so if it should be in another forum, please move it there, thanks…

I am pretty sure I have a problem with my DVD drive. I set smart ripper to rip a DVD and after about 4 hours it is only 40% done with the ripping. This problem also seems to happen with DVD Decrypter. I have ASPI 4.6 correctly installed and the computer this is on is a 6 gb, 224 mb ram, p2 450 mhz computer (yes old but It has about 5.2 gigs free). I just got this DVD drive recently and it seems to be pretty old (did not buy new) it is a pioneer drive, set up as a slave. So far I have ripped about 2 times successfully, with it taking an hour. Now it takes forever. With DVD decrypter it seems like it reads at 0.0X and then at something like 1.2X for a fraction of a second and it keeps doing this (flashing different speeds).

Is this because of the DVD drive being crap? Is the drive salvageable? Or is it something with the computer… HD, RAM, windows 2K? Could it be a problem with a CD-Rom drive being a master (the cdrom drive is OLD)? If necessary I am willing to swap the drive with another computer. Could it be a program conflict? CD protection?

By the way the DVD I successfully ripped was emperors new groove (with dvd decrypter) and then I was told not to use dvd decrypter with guardian knot, so I had to install aspi, then neither program worked well…… Emperors new groove takes forever, just got spiderman… same problem so far… HELP PLZ!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :a

well i fixed the problem, although i dont know what the problem actually is…

i was lifting up the computer to see if the power cable was fully plugged in when i noticed that the speed of the DVD jumped to 11X/ 20X… i thought that it was odd and set it down, it went back to 0X… so i lifed the comp up again and it went up

so i started tapping (almost hitting) the drive, and it kept going fast.

a friend suggested moving the monitor off of the computer ( i dont have much space with that computer so i have the monitor resting on the case, and the speed has become zippy!

i have no idea why the monitor would do that?!? could it be the weight? a magnetic thing? wierd.

anyways it works now so it would seem that my problem is fixed. if anyone knows what actually happened PLEASE tell me! thanks

Are you sure it wasn’t a encrypted dvd so certain sector reads faster than others? I had the same problem with two Chinese DVD had… both would be ripping at 7x but once it hits a certain area it would go back down to 0.3 x. I don’t know how it could be monitor related. Only things that can slow down ripping, if you have a decent dvd-rom drive, are encryptions on the disc and Dirty or Scratch DVDs.

BTW what kind of dvd-rom drive do you have? I’m using the LiteOn 163. I don’t know of any DVD drive that can rip at 20x as you stated. Anyways at this point I think the disc you were ripping was encrypted. :stuck_out_tongue:

–DA

i am not sure if the dvd was decrypted, it was the new Spiderman DVD. Anyways, the 20X i was talking about was a number that flashed in DVD Decrypter, it was mainly below that, but when i used smart ripper, it constantly said that the speed was 1.3X (it took almost 2 hours to rip the DVD)… but im happy with that… Ill check the model later

Originally posted by TheNate04
i am not sure if the dvd was decrypted, it was the new Spiderman DVD. Anyways, the 20X i was talking about was a number that flashed in DVD Decrypter, it was mainly below that, but when i used smart ripper, it constantly said that the speed was 1.3X (it took almost 2 hours to rip the DVD)… but im happy with that… Ill check the model later

Most new dvd drives rip at 2x now but I’ve got the LiteOn and it seems to be the best drive for ripping… speed wise. On avg I rip at 6-7x on encrypted disc compared to 2x on my old toshiba 16x.

–DA