DVD Ripper: Why I currently will not use it!

vbimport

NB: This refers to DVD encoding only, not Blu-Ray !!!

I have just been setting up an encode of box set 4 Alien Movies that I was given as a present for testing on a new Media Player that I have acquired using another software package.

I have not used Fab for this task for quite a while and I thought I’d review why I will not use Fab for this task by re-attempting to do the same task with Fab Ver 8.0.7.3.

The other software package is FREE and has met my requirements for over a year, whilst Fab has promised these features and never delivered.

I am of the opinion that most of the development is being utilised on Blu-Ray & Blu-Ray 3D and DVD Ripper has unfortunately become a poor cousin.

Big mistake, because there is still a huge marketplace out there of DVD’s and equipment being purchased.

So I’ll now document why I will not use " DVD Ripper" for this task.

My container of choice is MKV, H264 Audiocopy for a variety of reasons which do not need going into here.

I will state, and anyone who has read some of my posts here and on other forums, will know, I am ANAL about my library and insist on “Do it once, do it right” !!!

Also, the Media Players that I have installed will utilise ALL of these features.

1. ABILITY TO SAVE THE QUEUE. I do not know how many times I have lost complex job setups with Fab or simply just wanted to save the queue for later processsing.

Fab does NOT have this simple feature, has promised it for over 3 years and NEVER delivered. The FREE software has had this ability for at least a couple of years.

2. MULTIPLE AUDIO TRACKS WITHIN THE MKV CONTAINER. I quite commonly require multiple audio tracks within the container, be it foreign language, Dolby or DTS, etc.

Again Fab does not have this feature whilst the FREE software does. Again, this feature has been documented and promised by Fab for a long time and never appeared.

3. MULTIPLE SUBTITLE TRACKS WITHIN THE MKV CONTAINER. I also require that multiple subtitles be held within the container.

Again Fab does not have this feature whilst the FREE software does.

4. CHAPTER MARKS WITHIN THE MKV CONTAINER. Fab will not encode the file with chapter marks whilst the FREE software will and also gives you the ability to edit the chapter names to reflect the scene like “The Alien eats Sigourney Here”.

This one I find really hard to believe that Fab has not implemented as it as simple as muxing an XML file in the MKV container telling where the chapter marks are.

SHORTCOMINGS OF FAB & THE FREE SOFTWARE
Both Fab and the FREE software have two shortcomings that I feel could be easily addressed but currently require a remux of the produced file.

A. Inclusion of Album Art. This is a simple remux with the JPG as an attachment.
B. Ability to add and edit the standard MKV Info Tags such as ACTOR, DIRECTOR, DATE_RELEASED, etc. This is again a simple remux of a compliant XML file.

I would dearly love to see at least a response to this by the developers but why do I feel I am beating my head against a brick wall?

All Fab users please note:-

This post was removed from the OTHER forum as “not appropriate for the public forum”…

You guys let me know what you think !!!

Yo Gregboy

Yeah there are a few tasks I don’t use DVDFab for and is why it is always good to have other software in the old toolbox, BTW…nice to see you here again and posting :cool:

[B]SJ[/B]

Here’s what I think: you should have sent it to Fengtao directly. Why is it important what the other “guys” think of what you said? Self-validation? If you think you will bully-pulpit him into doing anything you are mistaken.

Signals, with respect

Absolute rubbish…You personally know that I have sent numerous bug reports etc to Fengtao and Ting.

All these shortcomings of Fab, I have documented and sent to Fengtao and Ting on numerous ocassions.

Guess what? NO RESPONSE !!! How unusual !!!

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2574931]All Fab users please note:-

This post was removed from the OTHER forum as “not appropriate for the public forum”…

You guys let me know what you think !!![/QUOTE]

Those are all perfectly valid requests but only the actual software developers can weigh up the benefits against the effort involved.

Also they’re the only ones who know whether or not they can fit any features, that they’d like to include, within the current development programme.

I’ve had many suggestions of mine implemented within various programs (including DVDFab) and it’s always good practice for developers to take note of ideas regardless of where they came from.

Unfortunately all you can do is ask, be patient, and hope that they’ll eventually implement your suggestions.

[B]Wombler[/B]

@ Gregiboy

I understand your frustrations but these are things that the developer has to fix and using our forum as a platform for a post that was deleted from another is not going to happen again. Whether I agree with you or not is not the question here, or for that matter whether anyone agrees with you is not the question here, we cannot fix this ( if its broken as you say) . You used to be a regular here and then chose, as is your right to go to another forum become a Moderator and help out. I respect your decisions, but please after you have problems at your other forums do not come back here and use this as a platform for your discontent. If you have a question to ask that we can help you with we will be happy to do so, more than happy, but please do not use this as a platform for your unhappyness with decisions made at another forum. Thankyou. This post needs no response.;)

Alan,

The unhappiness was not with the forum, but with the product.

This is a DVD Fab forum also of which I have been a member for years.

I think Wombler said it best

Posted by Wombler
Unfortunately all you can do is ask, be patient, and hope that they’ll eventually implement your suggestions.

:wink:

Alan,

I assure you that I have been patient, in direct touch with the developers, problems acknowledged and fixes promised, some for over a year, so I don’t hold out much hope.

Also, I will be damned if I will provide my knowledge and technical expertise (of which I have some) to a forum that stifles and censors free and open discussion that actually complies with the forum rules.

I would rather spend my time assisting where it is appreciated.

My decision to return here and posting of this thread here was not done without some discussion with senior colleagues on both forums including the actual content of this original post.

Regards
Greg

Posted by Gregiboy
My decision to return here and posting of this thread here was not done without some discussion with senior colleagues on both forums[B] including the actual content of this original post.

[/B]

[B]This thread has not been altered or edited in any way[/B]. I would never do such a thing unless I felt it was inappropriate. We are happy to have you back here and helping and posting again. I just didnt want this thread to turn into a flaming war between you and the people from the other forum, nothing would be gained from that, other than that we have no problems. Have a nice day.;)

Again, rest assured from my point of view, I’ve said my piece.

The ball is in the other court.

I do reserve the right of rebuttal.

I myself have several software programs that I use for my projects because I know there is no such thing as the best, the programs I do use all have the same ability to fit my needs in all areas and when one fails to complete the task I use another program.

All my programs are bought and are not cheap which I too expect them to do what they are programmed to do but I also take it under consideration that no program is 100 or even 80% perfect, so when it comes to my project I never rely on just one.

It’s called freedom of choice either use a program or don’t the choice is there for everyone.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2575042]I myself have several software programs that I use for my projects because I know there is no such thing as the best, the programs I do use all have the same ability to fit my needs in all areas and when one fails to complete the task I use another program.

All my programs are bought and are not cheap which I too expect them to do what they are programmed to do but I also take it under consideration that no program is 100 or even 80% perfect, so when it comes to my project I never rely on just one.

It’s called freedom of choice either use a program or don’t the choice is there for everyone.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]
Well said SJ.:clap:

Very well said SJ and I also subscribe to that theory also with a couple of exceptions:-

If a software package that I purchased for considerable $$ & purporting to be “The Best Of Breed” has rings run around it by free open-source programs, I query the commerciai packages bona-fides.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2575047]Very well said SJ and I also subscribe to that theory also with a couple of exceptions:-

If a software package that I purchased for considerable $$ & [B]purporting to be “The Best Of Breed”[/B] has rings run around it by free open-source programs, I query the commerciai packages bona-fides.[/QUOTE]

I believe the above in bold is being spread by the users themselves that find it to be excellent at what the product can do compared to other software they have used which is well in their rights of freedom of speach and/or opinion and those rights apply to you as well, which is why this thread has not been closed or altered by me or another Mod.

[B]SJ[/B]

Nope… This is direct from the DVD Ripper advertising on DVDFab.com

“Search the world and you won’t find a faster, more powerful tool for ripping DVD content than DVDFab DVD Ripper.”

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2575053]Nope… This is direct from the DVD Ripper advertising on DVDFab.com

“Search the world and you won’t find a faster, more powerful tool for ripping DVD content than DVDFab DVD Ripper.”[/QUOTE]

The first part of your statment I will only reply to in a PM, as for the end of the comment I’m sure you know about sells/advertising gimmicks :smiley:

[B]SJ[/B]

Actually guys, can we please close this thread as we will continue going around in never decreasin circles until we disappear up our own …!

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2575057]Actually guys, can we please close this thread as we will continue going around in never decreasin circles until we disappear up our own …![/QUOTE]

Thread closed on your request…