DVD rental kiosks could hurt Hollywood

vbimport

I just posted the article DVD rental kiosks could hurt Hollywood.

The Los Angeles Economic Development Corp (LAEDC) has released a new report indicating $1 per day DVD rental kiosks could cost the movie industry up to $2.2 billion in lost revenue due to the popularity of $1 daily DVD rentals.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-rental-kiosks-could-hurt-hollywood-23238/](http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-rental-kiosks-could-hurt-hollywood-23238/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Maybe this will push “hollywood” to lower prices on movie rentals and even box office tickets.

Heck, I’d settle if concession stand prices would drop . . . $5 popcorn just ain’t worth it.

Concession stand prices are so high because theatres (especially small independent ones) make little or nothing on ticket sales these days.

I guess maybe Redbox does hurt DVD sales - I can’t think of any movie I’ve rented from Redbox over the last couple of years that I’d want to own. Most of them get fast-forwarded through or even stopped less than half way through.

I pretty much don’t go to the movies anymore because to take my family it is at least $50-$60. I do occasionally rent from red box, but have never rented a DVD from a rental store (Blockbuster, etc). I occasionally buy DVDs if the price is right. Maybe if the movie theaters would lower their ticket prices to $5 or $6, they would sell many more tickets. This in turn would bring more people in to but the overpriced popcorn, soda, etc. In this economy, many people are not making the disposable money they once did so they simply cannot afford to be able to go to the movies .

People just do not have the time these days to go to the theater regularly. Nor do people have the money. So many other things are vying for our entertainment dollars these days and something has to give. The first things many people excise from their lives are those things which are inefficient. Going to a theater is a cool way to experience a movie but it’s extremely inefficient.

This is the grumblings of an industry whose business model is failing due to being outdated. See also the music industry. Hollywood just needs to get over the fact that The Times They Are A-Changin’

IMO it’s time for the movie industry to put up or shut up. Similar to the RIAA, it’s easier to attack a technology rather than go back to the drawing board and see what’s wrong.

Consumers are increasingly wishing to 1). stream content (via Redbox through Xbox 360, Roku, etc.), or 2). rent movies through Redbox, Blockbuster, and the other kiosk services.

Work with Redbox and find a better revenue sharing system, instead of trying to whine, complain, and blame Redbox.

I rent from Red Box, Blockbuster and Netflix.
I have a 52 inch TV with a surround sound Amp. and Blue Ray.

I don’t go to movies for a number of reasions. I like to stop the show when I want. The snacks are cheaper. I don’t have to listen to other people’s comments & laughter. I don’t mind waiting for the movie to come out on disk to enjoy thease things. I do feel for the movie people though. One day I hope there is a solution that will make all happy.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2473370]

Work with Redbox and find a better revenue sharing system, instead of trying to whine, complain, and blame Redbox.[/QUOTE]

There isn’t much revenue sharing going on with $1.00 DVD rentals…

Redbox is a joke, half the time the discs are trashed and unusable, you have to wait in long lines because the system is so slow… things would be better if places like Blockbuster downsized drastically to cut down on costs and lowered rental prices… there will always be renters, there are many out there who have no interest in purchasing DVD’s… and plenty of movies worth watching but not owning…

If the rental stores smartened up they could make it through the changes and still be around a few years from now… sadly most won’t and the industry will hand itself back to the Mom and Pop stores that started it…

We recently added rentals to test at one of our B&M stores… traditional rentals… not a machine… we’ve been adding new customers daily and it’s been going pretty smooth… $1.99 new releases and .99 cent for older titles is drawing plenty of interest as was expected…

Rentals are not dead… the days of 3,000 square foot video stores are though.
to make it you’ve got to be able to cram that much stock into 500sq ft of space… which can easily be done if you know what your doing… but there in lies the problem… these corporate idiots have never known what they were doing…

[QUOTE=Charles Tabb;2473627]I rent from Red Box, Blockbuster and Netflix.
I have a 52 inch TV with a surround sound Amp. and Blue Ray.

I don’t go to movies for a number of reasions. I like to stop the show when I want. The snacks are cheaper. I don’t have to listen to other people’s comments & laughter. I don’t mind waiting for the movie to come out on disk to enjoy thease things. I do feel for the movie people though. One day I hope there is a solution that will make all happy.[/QUOTE]

Yep . . . we take our kids to the occasional family friendly flick, but other than that my wife and I rarely go to the movie on our date night.

I have a rental account at a local video store and Netflix. Plus I’ve got all the premium channels on DirecTV so I’ll get to watch the hot new movies at some point. :wink:

I saw as other have mentioned Hollywood hurt themselves not the other way around rentals have always been around and will stay with us for years to come. Streaming is good but if you don’t have or can’t afford broad band that isn’t going to happen. I have dsl but will stay with Netflix as they have older movies that you can’t see in movies nowdays that is the main reason rentals will always been around. Hollywood is just like the RIAA and MPAA whine and cry fowl all the while they are the one that thumb their nose at the rentals and now the rentals are taking off they say they are loosing money. They the hollywood monguls should’ve saw this coming and deveoped their own marketing stragties on rentals and Theatre release to jump ahead of the rentals but instead fell off the bandwagon and now cry they are loosing money. They themselves are their own worst enemies the Rentals just pickup where the moguls whom where concerned with greed rather then customer services.

Movie tickets alone are $12.50 in NYC. It is ridiculous that they charge so much for the tickets. I wont even mention snacks. I rather rent from redbox or watch on directv.

I had to give my son (17 years old) 50.00USD to take his girlfriend to the movies and thats just for tickets and popcorn and candy. I am disgusted with this.:iagree: