Dvd region unlock

vbimport

Hi I’ve got a samsung r40 laptop.
It just came up with a region change limit. Never heard of this before. Can I/ how can i unlock this or reset it.
Many thanks for any help.
FC

I don’t believe you can. Someone may correct me here, but I thought the hard limit was at 5 changes. You can replace the drive, or have an authorized dealer restore it, you can try playing dvd video in VLC media player, or you can use DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD in the background to remove region restrictions (neither of those programs are free).

DVD43 works in a similar fashion to AnyDVD or Passkey and is free, but not updated as often. http://www.dvd43.com/

There are region free firmwares for many drives, but some laptop drives, like the Matshita drives can’t be made region free. We’d have to know the make and model drive.

You cannot reset it.
Depending on the drive installed, you could either use anydvd etc. or make the drive rpc1/rpc2 autoreset…

But without knowing the exact modelnumber/brand its impossible to give further assistance.

Thanks for the feedback.
How where do I find the model number etc.
I have no documentation with me.

Maybe run nero infotool or nero cd dvd speed to get the drive info.

[QUOTE=fluffchucker;2567825]
How where do I find the model number etc.
[/QUOTE]In case you are running Windows on your computer:
Simply check Device Manager.

Or run msinfo32.exe and look into the “Components/multimedia/CD” tree.

No additional software required at all.

Samsung most likely uses TSST drives for their laptops. If this assumption is true for your own drive, then please read the FAQ mentioned in my signature.

Michael

Ahha!!
It’;s a TEAC DV-W28EC
Cheers

And the drive firmware?

Its important because its a slimtype drive…

OK you’re going too fast lol
Is this what you need?

Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name TEAC DV-W28EC
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMTEAC_DV-W28EC___________________________S.0A____\5&F3289E6&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 15/09/2008 18:47)

FC

drive: TEAC DV-W28EC
firmware: S.0A

Seems that your only chance is to follow [B]Kerry56[/B]s advice (post #2).

Poking around at rpc1, I didn’t find a region free firmware for this drive. As chef noted, your best option may be to use software in the background to remove region codes.

[QUOTE=chef;2567851]drive: TEAC DV-W28EC
[/QUOTE]Looks like a NEC/Optiarc clone: http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w28ec.html

Edit:
I was wrong. Found a HP OEM firmware for that drive, MCSE reports this firmware being from a Pioneer DVR-K17.

Michael

Yeah, looks so. But it seems to be really a puzzle to fiddle out the various hardware variations.

I’m a bit puzzled that Samsung used that drive in ther Lappies…

[QUOTE=chef;2567860]Yeah, looks so. But it seems to be really a puzzle to fiddle out the various hardware variations.[/quote]Indeed. Rather risky.

I’m a bit puzzled that Samsung used that drive in ther Lappies…
Profit optimization. Samsung ODD is in competition with the other ODD manufacturers when Samsung’s Laptop division is ordering hardware. Same with HDDs and LCDs.

Michael

Downloaded that link. Just need a dvd to use it with now.
Thanks for all the help.
FC