DVD Region-Free anyone?

vbimport

Has anyone used DVD Region-Free? It seems to be the only thing that works with my external SCSI Toshiba drive (firmare patched to make it region free) and WinDVD Platinum 4. Have tried a few free progs, but non worked OK with this combination. Not sure about paying $40 to watch my R1 DVDs!?

Originally posted by rendez2k
Has anyone used DVD Region-Free? It seems to be the only thing that works with my external SCSI Toshiba drive (firmare patched to make it region free) and WinDVD Platinum 4. Have tried a few free progs, but non worked OK with this combination. Not sure about paying $40 to watch my R1 DVDs!?

I suppose its a case of how much you want to be able to watch your R1 Movies … If this is the only thing that has worked, then surely it is worth the price to pay? … Only you can make that decision, you have all the facts there …

I guess I just wanted to know if there were anymore options out there before making the purchase!

:slight_smile: NP … there used to be a program DVDGenie I think, dont know if it is still updated, but that used to work quite well …

FYI i actually use DVD Region Free and find it very handy.

Here is Region Killer from Elby (CloneCD) and it’s free.

Doesnt WinDVD rely on ASPI?

Not sure on that …

Yeah Region Killer didn’t work with WinDVD and DVDGenie dosen’t support veresion 4 of WinDVD!

Originally posted by rendez2k
Yeah Region Killer didn’t work with WinDVD and DVDGenie dosen’t support veresion 4 of WinDVD!

Well, did you install CloneCD before installing Region Killer like the prompt said? Hell, it works for me using Pioneer 105S, Lite-On 163D & 166S, which comes w/ a copy of PowerDVD XP (better than WinDVD IMO). The way I see it, you’ll get a better value buying a Lite-On 166S from newegg for under $40 than buying DVD-Region Free.

I dont think thats rendez2k’s problem Stoner, I think his problem is the resetting of the region switch in his software (WinDVD), rather than the region switch in his drive … You only get so many tries before it permanently sets the region to the last one used. DVD Region Free is the only one available at the moment that actually does this with WinDVD beyond version 2 (or whetever it was before 3 and Platinum). As mentioned earlier I think WinDVD relies on ASPI so in this case the one from Elby will not work, it states that on the main page.

The Platinum 4 version of WinDVD is pretty good, and well worth the money in my opinion, although as you say you get a free copy of PowerDVD free with Liteons. All in all, the only option seems to be registering DVD Region Free in this instance, again something which I have done, it is well worth it fro the macrovision free options etc.

[disclaimer] I am in no way affiliated with DVD Region Free, I just think its a great little proggy [/disclaimer]

Belgarath is right - it seams to be the only thing that works OK with WinDVD Plat. Never mind!

i got a Toshiba SD-R5002 patched with xirmware x031 to change to region free.
disc info is a good tool to get to check your dvd drive.

shows mine now as no lock detected
i got dvd region killer but it seemed to cause some discs problems playing so took it off.

turns out didnt need it
everything plays including rce discs

EXCEPT!!

my region 3 disc of battle royale (awsome movie)
that & my region free disc of naked killer (both from hong kong) dont recognise at all in my dvd drive

my other hong kong discs & ones from around the world do fine, just these too.

:rolleyes:

now THATS a question…
plays fine in stand alone dvd players.
never had the chance to try it in a dvd drive on another pc.

HELP!

i think you can also use Remote Selector from the guy who done dvd2one havent tried myself but might be worth a look

I’ve tried all kinds of region free software over the years, especially after my region free DVD drive packed up and I have to say that RemoteSelector is by far the best. Just keep it running in the system tray everytime your pc boots up and it does all the rest.

You can even obtain a free trial version from: -

http://www.remoteselector.com/index.html

Happy ripping… I mean watching!

VideoLAN and DVDSynth supposedly do the job of DVD Region free, for free…