DVD Region+CSS Free Destroyed my DVD Drive!

vbimport

So I had some Region 3 DVD’s I wanted to play on my computer (to rip)
and used DVD Region+CSS Free to change the region. It did this nicely the first time around. Then afterwards, 1 reboot many hours later and I tried another DVD, and my drive started spinning the disc out of control and wouldn’t load and hung my computer. I rebooted and DVD Region+CSS Free said it was protected by Region 1 still, and tried to change it, well I rebooted as it asked me to and on reboot my computer said it detected a new DVD Drive was installed but the software still said it was Region 1 and protected no matter how many times I set it to region 3 and clicked ok. Every time I tried to access the DVD it hung my comp.

Now my drive reads as some new weird name, and it wont auto-load DVD’s anymore. I later found that all I had to do was go to Hardware Devices under System, and click the properties of my DVD Drive and change the region right there (which worked perfecctly btw). But my new question is - how can I change the ID/BIOS of my Drive back to defaiult?

I would try going into device manager and removing the drive, reboot and let Windows find and install it. You might even have to remove the controller.

You can change DVD drive region four times after initial install. It will not go back to default. After 4 changes the drive will stay on last region, you will not be able to reset it any more.
I am not sure about this region free software , but you can get AnyDVD and it will bypass region setting so any DVD region can be played and it will also help you to rip DVD.
It runs in background so you can play any DVD on your computer without a problem.

So just click Uninstall in the Device Manager?

[quote=CDuncle;2078965]You can change DVD drive region four times after initial install. It will not go back to default. After 4 changes the drive will stay on last region, you will not be able to reset it any more.
I am not sure about this region free software , but you can get AnyDVD and it will bypass region setting so any DVD region can be played and it will also help you to rip DVD.
It runs in background so you can play any DVD on your computer without a problem.[/quote]

I don;t know why anyone would use 3rd party software when you can just go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Right click on drive, Properties and then change the region code there…

Had I known that ahead of time I may have been able to save my drive from the retarded state it’s in now.

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2078968]
I don;t know why anyone would use 3rd party software when you can just go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Right click on drive, Properties and then change the region code there…

Had I known that ahead of time I may have been able to save my drive from the retarded state it’s in now.[/QUOTE]

Did you read what I said. You can change region four times. After that you are done.
Either you hack the firmware or are stuck with last region change.

[quote=CDuncle;2078971]Did you read what I said. You can change region four times. After that you are done.
Either you hack the firmware or are stuck with last region change.[/quote]

So how do I hack the firmware? Can I do so without the use of 3rd party software killing my drive?

Look here for region free firmwares > http://tdb.rpc1.org/ You never mentioned what drive you have…

It’s a

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M - OEM

though it now reads as:

[B]TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M [/B]in my Hardware Devices.

ok go here and download RPC1 patched firmware for your SH-S182M > http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares_samsung.html

Thanks for the link. What exactly do I do with the BIN file though?

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2079020]Thanks for the link. What exactly do I do with the BIN file though?[/QUOTE]Load it up in this flasher. Make sure you choose your S182M if you have more than one drive > http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities/SFDNWIN3.27.11.rar

It’s always a good idea to shut down all apps when flashing your drives. Let the flasher run. It might take a minute or two.

Ha! worked perfectly. I Opened that file in the Flasher, then hit the “Download” button and it said I need to reboot . I rebooted, then it says new drive installed successfully and may not work properly unless I reboot again. Did that, then tested it with a Region 1 DVD which it read fine, then tried a region 3 DVD which it also read fine.

In Hardware devices under the drive properties it says No Region selected. (Region Free)

That’s beautiful, thanks m8.

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2079069]Ha! worked perfectly. I Opened that file in the Flasher, then hit the “Download” button and it said I need to reboot . I rebooted, then it says new drive installed successfully and may not work properly unless I reboot again. Did that, then tested it with a Region 1 DVD which it read fine, then tried a region 3 DVD which it also read fine.

In Hardware devices under the drive properties it says No Region selected. (Region Free)

That’s beautiful, thanks m8.[/QUOTE]kewls :cool: glad it worked :slight_smile:

I Stand Corrected. :slight_smile: