DVD Region Codes

vbimport

Hello everyone. For sure I am a newbie in the DVD, and Codec arena…erg! I see people discussing firmwhere and would like to know,

Well… if for instance your DVD stops working - do you download new firmware for it? YES or NO?

In other words, is Firmware more like a driver, or a whole new software package specific to run the player?

Question 2

I live in Thailand, for the forseable future. I bought the computer in California, or Region 1. But here in Thailand it is region 3. At first all was well playing DVDs from the US, but I started buying them here too. Having of course to reset the region. I have one reset left.

1. can I download new firmware to reset the dvd region?

2. is there shareware that I can download for the same purpose?

Comment: The region code thing is as frustrating as DRM.

Thank you for your help.

Well you can flash the drive to be region free but I am unsure on how to do that. You can also buy anydvd and it will run in the background making your dvd seem like it is region free to your dvd drive allowing you to play your dvd’s from both countries on it. There is a free alternative and it called dvd43 and it runs in the background the same way as anydvd but is not as good as anydvd.

In most cases downloading new firmware will not fix a DVd drive that is not working.

As for as region codes if you have anydvd running in the background it will remove the region codes and allow you to watch the movies or make a copy.

you can also go here and get firmware that will also get around the region code for most dvd drives.

http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm

GJ sorry about saying the same thing you said was already typing mine when you posted yours so I did not see your post.

If you want to flush the drive, you have to find “firmware/hack” for your model on net. It install the same way as firmware update.
You can visit VideoHelp.com to look.
But like everyone say, get software which will run in a background, it is safer, because sometime hack can mess up your drive.
Yes, if DVD drive is bad, no firmware update will fix it.
But at $30 a piece, most likely cheaper in Thailand, it make no sense to look for fix.
If you are talking desktop, get second drive and set it to region3.
If laptop you can get external USB drive.
I am almost sure, once you get to know few people in there, they will tell you where to get region free drive for your machine.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2178464]If you want to flush the drive, you have to find “firmware/hack” for your model on net. It install the same way as firmware update.
You can visit VideoHelp.com to look.
But like everyone say, get software which will run in a background, it is safer, because sometime hack can mess up your drive.
Yes, if DVD drive is bad, no firmware update will fix it.
But at $30 a piece, most likely cheaper in Thailand, it make no sense to look for fix.
[B]If you are talking desktop, get second drive and set it to region3.[/B]
If laptop you can get external USB drive.
I am almost sure, once you get to know few people in there, they will tell you where to get region free drive for your machine.[/QUOTE]
That makes the most economic sense as a new burner is cheaper than AnyDVD (as long as you only need AnyDVD’s region free option).