DVD Recover Software (Lost My Home Movies)

vbimport

Hi Everyone,

A few years ago I transferee many movies to DVD’s. I had no problems reading the DVD’s. Years have gone by, and now the disc’s are not reading in the drive. I’m quite puzzled and sad by this. Though, I’m hoping there is some way to read the DVD’s.

Is there any good DVD recovery software that can help me retrieve any data off the discs?

I go thru this too and, in the past months of reading more on the subject, I’m blaming this on “chemical deterioration of the data film”, which seems inevitable. It’s the nature of the beast - chemical data-film, sandwiched between petrochemical plastic, with some kind of gluing compounds or bonding process.

I have too many varying types and ages of Readers for those to all be faulty, so “the disk is bad” is the likeliest culprit. Since some played once or twice, or several times, but appear otherwise pristine, there has to be some other cause - and that’s the data film inside.

Like your question, I’ve sought different software packages for hopeful solutions. ISO PUZZLE is one product that I’ve used, but never retrieved everything (although I’ve only tried it on 4 DVDs - not a huge sampling).

Other folks here can offer different suggestions.

I’ve started doing Backups-of-Backups, though, as if I can find safety in numbers. “Surely, not ALL of these can chemically die at the same time!”

And we’ve switched to the somewhat more expensive Falcon Pro DVD-Rs (and sometimes Taiyo-Yuden Professionals) because they have a reputation of substantially longer lifespan. “Do I pay twice as much for perhaps 10 times the lifespan?” That’s our choice for now, at least.

I’ve recovered some discs with IsoPuzzle or it’s predecessor h2cdimage.
Usually these weren’t "chemical deterioration of the data film"or “the disk is bad”.
They were usually scratched discs .

IsoBuster pro is what I would try . It has some learning curve but has worked when the OS is the problem & can’t read a disc done by an older OS.

Do these discs show in Windows Explorer ?

[QUOTE=JasonCA;2675729]Hi Everyone,

A few years ago I transferee many movies to DVD’s. I had no problems reading the DVD’s. Years have gone by, and now the disc’s are not reading in the drive. I’m quite puzzled and sad by this. Though, I’m hoping there is some way to read the DVD’s.

Is there any good DVD recovery software that can help me retrieve any data off the discs?[/QUOTE]

First off what format was those movies that you placed onto dvd in what format? And what program did you use to create them? And is the same hardware you trying to play them on the same hardware? And did you try to test those dvd on another working computer with working cd/dvd drive to see if the media was still good? It sounds more like the drive is bad or dirty and or the lens needs to be cleaned. But since there is no background info on the dvd media or type or what software was used giving help as what to do and try won’t help at this point in time.

While the OP hasn’t revisited, apparently, I have picked up a couple of scratch-marked commercial DVDs and have been spending the weekend with ISO PUZZLE and ISO BUSTER. Uselessly.

ISO PUZZLE, I forgot, has a Nero DLL requirement that, while we have several from Nero 6, don’t seem to let ISO P function. It’s a 2007 ReadMe File and other comments have mentioned this abject failure so I suspect this software’s usefulness was finally decided by the developer. “Left it in beta, long ago.”

ISO BUSTER is only 19 hours and 65% complete. Yawn. Hubby reminded me that, a few years ago, I did this and left it run for a weekend, but finally returned after two days and gave up. “Yes, buy another copy off of Amazon, and get it here much faster.”

But my question is… has ANYONE truly got these packages to work? I was looking thru other sites with threads from 2003 thru 2010, and “success” in any endeavor is never mentioned by an OP. In fact, they all give up.

I think suggesting ISO PUZZLE is a terrible thing to do unless someone’s going to supply the correct and functioning DLL with it.

ISO BUSTER’s “replace with Zeros” or “replace with Random Bytes” should give an idea of the quality of the final product - “missing chunks of video/audio” - is going to be the best possible result this product offers.

If that’s all a user has, though… well…

scratch-marked commercial DVDs

Wouldn’t they have CSS and appear as random (scrambled) data?

@ ChristineBCW , I have had with both IsoPuzzle & IsoBusterPro.
I have an older version of IsoBusterPro because an upgrade costs money
& the old one does everything I bought it for.

IsoPuzzle is basically a GUI for the older h2cdimage which works from a command window. h2cdimage will do a few things IsoPuzzle doesn’t but I won’t go into that now.
If you download the h2cdimage zip below it has the correct wnaspi32.dll for IsoPuzzle . If you are interested.

h2cdimage

I recently used IsoPuzzle on a scratched DVD & you are correct it can take a while. On this DVD it took 6 hours & three different drives . One in a different computer (my old backup IBM). That’s one thing I like about IsoPuzzle you can keep working on the same .iso & .flg file with different drives & computers if necessary.

One other note you need to have AnyDVD(What I normally use) or PassKey (I’ve only tested with PassKeyLite)to decrypt commercial DVDs. The OP is working with burned DVDs so that is not necessary. IsoPuzzle won’t decrypt by itself.
IsoBuster won’t decrypt by itself.

@ olyteddy,

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2677766]Wouldn’t they have CSS and appear as random (scrambled) data?[/QUOTE]

I think you were going in the direction of using a decryption program. Would that be correct ?

Yeah. It seems that ISO Puzzle would have no clue as to what it was looking at if the disk was CSS scrambled, and if you could successfully de-crypt it then you wouldn’t need ISO Puzzle.

Of course, this pie-in-the-sky would be great IF the disk wasn’t scratched. So, when I used the English words “the commercial DVD is scratched”, that also means not readable, not decrypt-able, and recovery products can’t function. Oly’s won the Catch-22 award.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2677787] if you could successfully de-crypt it then you wouldn’t need ISO Puzzle.[/QUOTE]

That might be what you would think but the scratched commercial DVD I used IsoPuzzle on just a couple of days ago.
AnyDVD decrypted it . I usually use CloneDVD2 to rip because I have more control over what I rip. No menus & the audio track I want
It failed to rip the DVD.
Then AnyDVD by itself failed. It only rips the whole movie.
I then tried DVDFab Copy & the decryption worked but the rip failed.
I then used IsoPuzzle with AnyDVD & as I posted it took 6 hours & I used three different drives in two computers but I got a clean rip that I saw no artifacting on when I played it on my 46" TV.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2677789]Of course, this pie-in-the-sky would be great IF the disk wasn’t scratched. So, when I used the English words “the commercial DVD is scratched”, that also means not readable, not decrypt-able, and recovery products can’t function. Oly’s won the Catch-22 award.[/QUOTE]

I have found as above many times a decrypter will work even when the ripper designed to work with it doesn’t . Of course a disc can be so badly scratched the decrypter can’t read it either.
So far I’ve never had one that AnyDVD has failed to decrypt. I concede it is possible though.
I have had it take 20 minutes or so to decrypt a damaged DVD.
The one I did the other day took about 2 minutes for AnyDVD to decrypt.

@ ChristineBCW & olyteddy ,
Do you have AnyDVD ?
If so have you tried it for decrypting a scratched DVD ?
My personal experence is AnyDVD will decrypt a scratched DVD
that it won’t rip .
If you have a scratched DVD that won’t rip with the regular copy software.
See if AnyDVD will decrypt it . If it finishes see if it will rip the DVD with IsoPuzzle.
With the wnaspi32 in the h2cdimage download link I posted.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.

So, I gave IsoPuzzle and IsoBuster a try.

Neither of them can read the DVD’s with my home movies on them. When you flip over the DVD, you can clearly see it was burned.

Also, I’ve attached a picture from IsoBuster. It’s almost as if IsoBuster can see there was some session or something written to the DVD, but it fails in being able to recover it.

Sadly, I have a good batch of these DVD’s that seem to have failed. They are all the same type of DVD.

Because they are home movies, I’m actually considering sending them into a company that can possibly recover DVD’s. But, I’m doubtful how much better they can do? :confused:

It’s a sad state of affairs for me. :sad:

Have you tried reading the problematic discs in some other drives, e.g. by borrowing someone else’s computer?

Lots of times a disc can be read in some drives and not in other drives, so you shouldn’t give up without first trying other drives.

Great idea. I have found much older drives have different luck than newest drives, but you might also look for different brands (it appears yours is an LG SATA drive) so maybe you know someone with a much older WinXP machine with a Pioneer (or any other brand) drive. Older, newer, different brands - hopefully you’ll have good luck.

If it’s a chemical breakdown of the data-film, well - this is something we’re all facing.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2678955]Have you tried reading the problematic discs in some other drives, e.g. by borrowing someone else’s computer?

Lots of times a disc can be read in some drives and not in other drives, so you shouldn’t give up without first trying other drives.[/QUOTE]

To add a bit to this if your DVDs were written with an older OS sometimes reading with that OS works better.

It would be even better if you have the drive & computer they were written with.

In IsoBuster it didn’t look like you let it “Find missing files & folders” .