Dvd recording

i am having difficulty transferring from my panasonic NV_DS77B digital video camera to my hard drive on my panasonic dvd recorder DMRE85 h . my tv is a jvc with 3 scarts and 4 av recording modes .can you help please . many thanks:

Have you checked the manual of the Panasonic camera?

yes and used the scart supplied but still no joy . i wonder if i tried to copy direct to a dvd if this would work

SCART? Is there no usb or firewire connection?

[QUOTE=chef;2307109]SCART? Is there no usb or firewire connection?[/QUOTE]

I have just read the manual of the DMR-E85H. With this recorder the OP is stuck using the analogue input jacks (composite video or S-Video, plus stereo audio) since it has no USB or Firewire input at all whatsoever. The OP, therefore, is forced to find a cable with S-Video or composite video plugs plus stereo analogue audio plugs which is compatible with the NV-DS77B camcorder in order to successfully transfer content from the camcorder to the DVD recorder. The camcorder does have a Firewire output jack, but it’s useless since the DVD recorder has no such input. (As the top-end model of Panasonic’s consumer-grade DVD recorder line of the time, the DMR-E85H was conceived before digital camcorders became popular, and the most popular camcorders then on the market were analogue-only.) Similarly, the DVD recorder (in its PAL-region version) has no SCART video input – its SCART jack is for output to TV set only.

The TV set has no video output jacks at all – only audio outputs (and therefore, the TV set cannot output video to anything besides its screen).

In other words, with this DVD recorder there is no way around the resolution loss due to the limitations of both the S-Video and composite video inputs. S-Video (the better of the two available types of video inputs offered on the DMR-E85H) delivers only 400 lines of horizontal resolution (compared to about 500 lines for a true 4:3 DVD), while composite video delivers only 330 lines (same as the old analog TV signals).

Mh, then svideo to scart would be a good idea, but you never know if Panasonic has decided to disable some in or outputs…

[QUOTE=chef;2307148]Mh, then svideo to scart would be a good idea, but you never know if Panasonic has decided to disable some in or outputs…[/QUOTE]

Maybe so (on some of their lower-end models, whose circuit boards allowed for the addition of such additions but left unused by Panasonic). But this particular Panasonic offered no USB or Firewire jack at all. And there is only a single physical SCART socket on the unit’s rear panel.

The weak link here is definately the Panasonic DMRE85 because it has no DV input. :sad:
You can burn the video straight onto a DVD using the S-VHS input then import the footage from the DVD into your computer using a programme such as DVD Decrypter.
Then you can edit the footage (and audio) using a software programme such as Mpeg Video Wizard which is superb with vob and mpeg 2 files.

The sad thing is by transferring from the DV tape (which I assume you are using) to the DVD using a scart lead or super VHS lead you are losing a lot of quality. :doh:

And using DVD Ram discs is not a good idea use the DVD-R which is an option on the Panasonic DMRE85.

And finally a tip, [U]Always[/U] keep your original DV tape safe, never wipe it or record over it.
One day in the future you might acquire a DVD recorder with a DV connection so you can do the job properly. :iagree:

[QUOTE=nicadair;2309934]The sad thing is by transferring from the DV tape (which I assume you are using) to the DVD using a scart lead or super VHS lead you are losing a lot of quality. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Actually, not by as much as you think. Using the S-Video connection results in a horizontal resolution of around 400 TV lines per screen height versus roughly 500 TV lines per screen height for fullscreen (4:3 aspect ratio) DVD. This will result in a slight loss in detail (compared to the miniDV-to-DVD transfer done using the Firewire connection) that’s barely noticeable at normal viewing distances for standard-definition video. (There is no loss in vertical resolution because all standard-definition video devices for PAL must resolve 576 lines vertically.)

Using the composite video connection would produce significantly poorer results than using the S-Video or SCART connection.