DVD recording modes

I’m quite new on burning dvd and I’m glad if someone can explain me what are the recording mode of dvd-r. In the beck of the case of dvd-r and -rw i read that it’s possible to burn dvds in different ways:
Fine: 60 min
SP: 120 Min (the normal)
LP: 240 min
EP: 360 min

I’m not able to find a software who ask me in which mode I want to burn.
What’s my problem? What’s the thing I don’t know?
Thank you very mutch.
Turpo

Originally posted by turpo
[B]I’m quite new on burning dvd and I’m glad if someone can explain me what are the recording mode of dvd-r. In the beck of the case of dvd-r and -rw i read that it’s possible to burn dvds in different ways:
Fine: 60 min
SP: 120 Min (the normal)
LP: 240 min
EP: 360 min

I’m not able to find a software who ask me in which mode I want to burn.
What’s my problem? What’s the thing I don’t know?
Thank you very mutch.
Turpo [/B]

The SP/LP/etc. modes are only for standalone/set-top DVD recorders. Kinda similar to the modes for VHS tapes.

Burning from a computer, it’s the capacity that matters. Single-sided DVD blanks have a stated capacity of 4.7GB (actually 4.38GB). :slight_smile:

Hey Turpo… what it means is this - if u were to do something like capture ur own digital video via a camcorder, or from vcr or something, when encoding it as mpeg2 (the file format for dvd video) in various quality modes, u’d get those respective times. So those modes are not for the actual burning, but for the ‘authoring’ of the dvd from ur own content, or when doing something like converting a divx, xvid, avi to dvd.

Thanks.
So if I want to burn a movie I have in another format like divx or in some other format longer than 120 min, what program you suggest me to use?

you can try checking out some of the guides here.