DVD recorders V VCRs

I have had 14 VCRs (7 different brands) and still have 5, some died some I sold most lasted 2-3 years plus (3 are now 12 years old) and would work fairly well with any tape I would try (at SP speed). Use one and any other was EZ to learn. Tapes would start to lose quality in 6 to 10 years or with frequent play. (can be expensive to fix)
I have had 4 DVD Recorders (3 different brands) and still have 3, one died in a year, one was sent to be repaired 5 time till I replaced the drive twice (now 2.5 years old), one I had to replace the drive in a few weeks. Quality of the recordings very dependent on the DVD media, and the intructions were different for each. (can be very hard to fix)
I have had 8 DVD Players (6 different brands) and still have 5 (some 4 years old), two would not play latest media (I sold or retired), one died, one will not now play origional discs, all were EZ to use. (can be hard to fix)

The price and size give the DVD recorder a clear advantage over tapes. DVD recorders would even more popular if the media and recorders were more consistent and better quality. So companies seen to think you can just dump a DVD drive into a box with a few circut boards and sell it as a DVD recorder.
LiteOn was the first EZ use DVD recorder but the drive was very poor and a bad reputation killed it. To this day I can’t find all that many people who own a DVD Recorders, but as it is getting harder to find VCRs to must change. Lets hope the new DVD recorders are better. Most of the public has no idea about DVD media.

VCRs had a long run and like the compact cassett tape got better and better cheaper and cheaper, and I still keep mine mostly to record sports, but like vinal recordes time of the format is now gone; even my Toshiba S-VHS 6 head Hi-Fi VCR is no longer sold.
Like the Apple II computer it is time to move on.
I loved my VCRs and had nearly 500 tapes, But now have over 1500 DVDs and give most of the Tapes away. Yes a few tapes did fail, but alot more DVDs also failed.
The major problem was tapes were made for SP only (2 hours for a T-120) and users tried to get 6 hours plus (with poor quality) and high quality blank tapes were not big sellers (in the US it is quantity not quality) that was OK for of the air TV and analog TV, but with digital Cable TV more people wanted more quality. VCRs went to units with TV guides and VCR Plus even units that could control a Cable Box, but the DVRs and DVD recorders with HHD were even better. Yet for a peson with a 10 + year old standard TV a VCR is still very usable for now.
Is the DVD recorder or DVR the answer? Protection from copy of VHS tapes, DVDs and [B]most important TV shows [/B] could kill the DVD recorder replacement of the VCR. How many people want to spend the money to replace their VCR only to find out they can’t even copy the Cable channels they pay for each month. Be real if someone sends out the program someone else should be able to copy it for personal use, just think of how many copies of music on the radio is copied to tape or CD each day. People still copy DVDs and CDs protected or not even the law says they can, so why make it harder? I has a CD recorder that can copy a CD at more than 2x speed, how much longer before there are DVD recorders that can do the same? (many do this with their computers now). I do not sell any copies and don’t wish to, just share to a friend to view.
The powers to be try more and more dumb ideas: Macrovision, Region codes, Music CDs… If it can be played it can be copied
The more cr@p they try the more they delay the VCR to DVD change over.
Like the phone company wanting to charge a home for every extention put in by the owner.