DVD recorders on the up - will you buy one?

I just posted the article DVD recorders on the up - will you buy one?.

CeBIT, the largest exhibition of information technology, started today. First news is already arriving. According to analysts, DVD video recorders will be the thrill of this year. Not surprising,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5548-DVD-recorders-on-the-up---will-you-buy-one.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5548-DVD-recorders-on-the-up---will-you-buy-one.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I will certainly never buy a DVD video recorder. Same problem as with video tape each time you forget where you’ve put a certain disc! Without a hard disc, it’s not of much use for me.

I will wait till Blue Ray recorders are cheap seeing how they can handle HDTV recording. Alexnoe: You canbuy a DVD recorder with a harddrive built in.

Why get an expensive DVD recorder for my home theatre when I can get an ATI All_in_Wonder and a DVD burner for my computer for less and have far more functionality and flexibility?

I agree with phr0gster! A pc is much more versatile solution. Besides DVD it can play divx/xvid and future codecs! A small fast silent black/silver pc with dvd drive and big mf hd would be nice :d

I would only purchase a set top dvd recorder if the price was less than 200 dollars. I have yet to see anything on tv worth recording :p. Especially now that each tv program is replayed several times a day on cable and there are 3 commercials evey 7.5 minutes. :r Also I can rent a dvd movie for a dollar. However I also agree with phr0gster. I am thinking of an All in Wonder and a DVD burner on my next system. It would be sweet to image my drive on 1 dvd disc rather than 3 cd’s. I use a Leadtek tv card now and I like tv in a window whilst surfing.

Easy to use, perhaps? Do you have any idea how painful is it to record TV shows on a PC? For example, you set a timer only that when the time comes the capture program crashes on you and of course you don’t know it until you come home. PC can do a lot of things but that doesn’t mean it’s good at every one of them.

When there $99 for a 4x model I’ll buy.

“Do you have any idea how painful is it to record TV shows on a PC? For example, you set a timer only that when the time comes the capture program crashes on you and of course you don’t know it until you come home.” obviously you’ve never used a stable operating system like linux…

You don’t even need Linux…Windows 2000 on an Intel BX440 or similar chipset runs and runs and runs…even with the DC10+ and its somewhat picky drivers. I’ve captured really a lot (ST TNG, DS9, DBZ, Charmed, Buffy…), these are some DVD-Rs full of divX, captured from TV, and not one single capture failure since the first Win 2k drivers have arrived. Only Win 98 was a bit :r

You geeks just don’t get it. Ever heard of HP’s Media Center PCs? That’s one of the stupidest business decisions in the recent memory (and before you start no, it won’t work even if you put Linux on it). Try teaching someone who can barely use a VCR to use a PC, let alone record things on a PC. Just that YOU know how you use a PC does not mean it’s easy to use. PCs will NEVER reach the level of ease and robustness of delicated applicances and you can’t argue about that.

no for now still no where near as practical as a VCR. lol and why ask a bunch of children if there going to buy something only their mums and dads could afford?

…coz for those of us who can afford it, we’ll have all solutions, and probably in multiple quantities…I’ve already replaced my shitey VCR with a DVD Recorder, and am just waiting for the right PC DVD Recorder to hit the market…a LiteOn probably…:d P.S. The only source worth capuring on a PC is a Digital one. Anyone tried a Hauppage Nova-T? Well if you have you’ll know you can actually only capture from the BBC since all the other channels are encrypted with macrovision, thereby destroying the grab!

PCs will NEVER reach the level of ease and robustness of delicated applicances and you can’t argue about that.
Ease means little functionality, which is automatically inacceptable for me. Whoever wants to pay $$$$$$ for a device with only few functions is free to do so.

My new Sony Vaio w/DW-U12A works just fine I’ve written to everything.Now I’m just waiting for June when The Sony RDR-GX7 dual format recorder for home theater comes out and I’ll buy one! :4

Sorry this is a test. Thanks

I recently bought a DVD recorder from Sony (DRU500AX). I’ve copied about 100 movies already, using smartripper+dvd2one and dvdxcopy for the largest movies (spliting onto 2 DVD’s of course). Because TV sucks here in Portugal I don’t intend to record TV programs, that´s why I decided to go onto the DVD movies copying stuff. I would like to say that the dedicated DVD video recorders are really very expensive and not worth buying yet, and that the PC DVD recorder will never replace these, but are a very good solution if you want to copy only DVD movies and of course use it as a regular data recording unit. Thanks.