Dvd recorder

Big time newbie with some dumb questions.

I subscribe to Time Warner HD TV cable service which came with a DVR tuner/hard drive recorder. It is connected to a wide screen HD tv.

I want to be able to put HD tv shows on DVDs as well as play DVD ROMs and watch them on the TV. I called Time Warner and asked them what kind of DVR to buy and was told the two important things were progressive scan and Dual layer capabilities.

So, I went lookin. Found this:

Philips 1080p Conversion HDMI DVD Recorder
Philips DVD recorder and player provides high quality video output
High-definition A/V device brings out the best in programs
DVD video recorder has 1080p HDMI with true high definition video upconversion
Progressive Scan component video for optimized image quality
Dual Media records on both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW
i.LINK digital input for perfect digital camcorder copies
Plays DivX, MP3 and JPEG digital camera photos
Playback Media: CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD-Video
Compression formats: MPEG2, MPEG1, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0
2.32 inches high x 16.54 inches wide x 9.72 inches deep

which clearly states progressive scan. It even mentions Dual Media.

The playback media does NOT mention DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL which I understand are the types of media for double layer.

I have a feeling this product misses the mark. Please advise if this is the product or if I need to keep looking (recommendations are welcome).

This website has dozens of DVD recorders. I have not looked at every one. NONE of the ones I HAVE looked at say RECORDS ON DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL .

Thanks for your time. Appreciate the help.

What’s the Philips model number? We can help confirm +R or -R DL capability from that (even though I suspect it will happily use these discs).

However I would be more worried about the copy protection mechanisms on the Time/Warner systems. Not being from the USA, I’m a bit unsure; but would speculate there’ll be some protection to stop you recording.

What’s more, any recording by the Philips or any other standard DVD recorder will only be in SD (standard definition) and not HD. The recorder may upscale your SD recordings - and commercial DVDs - to pseudo-HD, but it won’t record natively in HD.