Dvd recorder or writer?

…hi everyone.
as a newbie you’ll have to excuse me if this has already been answered a thousand times, but can anyone tell me what is the best way to copy dvds?

I have just started making back-up copies of my dvd film collection, so I can lock away the original films somewhere safe and play the copies on a day-to-day basis without fear of them getting damaged.

This I have been doing by playing them on an old Pioneer dvd player (at least 5 years old) and recording onto dvd-r disc on my Panasonic DMR-E30. The quality of the copies is pretty good, although areas of highlight are too bright and contrasty and white areas have a kind of phosphorescent glow. Obviously as well recording in “real time” means it’s going to take a long time to do the whole collection!

I have been thinking for a while of buying a Pioneer DVR107 for my computer to do data back-ups, and was wondering if this (with the appropriate software) would be a better way to duplicate film discs.?
Also if I stuck with the Panasonic DMR-E30 way, would replacing my old Pioneer player with a new progressive player improve quality?

I know that the DVR107 would burn discs quicker, but for me the big issue here is image quality rather than speed.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to the benefit of your expertise!

Oz :iagree:

Oz,

Go for the DVD writer! It is quicker, also retain the original quality - 100% in digital format.

CY

Thanks for such a swift reply Cychou.

any ideas what would be the best software to use, and is it best to go for an “all in one” package, or rip to hard disc and burn as normal?
Forgot to mention that I only use a Mac (OS 9.1) so need something that works on that platform.

Thanks