My unit won’t read any discs, and even when the tray is empty attempts to read a disc before failing and saying “NoREAD”. The DVD disc indicator is staying on even when the tray is empty and makes a clunking noise several times before saying “NoREAD”. Tray still opens and closes, but still keeps clunking and trying to read a disc every time I close it even when empty. I’ve tried commercially manufactured discs, blank DVD-R, recorded DVD-R, and music CD.
Problem started last night after I tried to start recording a DVD with flexible recording, but was told there was a problem with the disc and the unit automatically started a “recover” sequence. DVD has not been able to read any disc since the recover sequence ended.
Here’s a list of things I’ve tried so far to see if I could reset:
- Power off and back on after several minutes
- Pressing Stop and Channel Up buttons on the front
- Pressing and holding power button for 10-20 seconds
- Turned off power and unplugged for approx. 7 hours
- Played videotape in the VCR for a minute or so