DVD Recorder DMR-ES35V Stoped playing discs

vbimport

This is the stangest thing. I was in the middle of burning a disc when all of the sudden the dvd player just stoped burning the disc and the front display of the DVD player went blank. When I turned it back on it started making all of thess loud buzzing sounds and A message came up on the DVD that said NoRead. And not when I try to put in any disc weather it is a store bought one or a burned disc it starts buzzing and said NoRead.

I have tryed the Holding the power button for 10 seconds and unpluging the unit for 5 minutes and it still does the same thing.

Does any one know what has happed to my dvd player and how I would go about fixing it?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Unplug the machine for a few minutes, then try again. If it doesn’t restart, then there’s a good chance it’s dead.

I have all ready done the unpluging thing, I have even tryed unpluging it over night and still nothing. So, your telling me there is nothing I can do it fix it? How did this happen to my dvd player?

Will the disc eject? If not try power off unplug then power on and press/hold OPEN.
If you can get the disc out then try your DVD-RAM disc.

Yes, the dics will eject, thats not the problem, Its when I put in any type of disc my machine starts Buzzing real loud and the NoRead Message comes up. I tryed to call Panasonic today but they dont work on the weekends, so im going to try them tomm.

I have the same problem only my DVD tray will not open/eject. I tried all the techniques to open it. It is a DMR-ES30V. I just bought it refurbished from Ebay. I guess I will try the advice in another section here. I should have bought a new model.

Try this :-
Turn off the power and press [(DVD) STOP], [(DVD) CH UP] keys on the front panel simultaneously for 5 seconds.

eggs44,

The same thing happened to one of my DMR-ES30V combo recorders. Panasonic replaced the DVD drive under the one year warranty for products purchased new.

alright4u,

If LaserBurn’s advice does not work call the number on the orange sticker on the top of your machine for advice. The number also appears on the front cover of the Operating Instructions.

Panasonic refurbishes their machines to perform as new. If your DMR-ES30V was refurbished by Panasonic it comes with a 90 day Panasonic warranty.

This exact thing has happened to me today (24 June 2007).

The recorder thinks a disc is still loaded and when a disc is actually loaded it keeps making buzzing sounds and comes up No Read (for all discs).

What did you do to fix the problem? Put it in for a service? My recorder is still within its 12 months warranty period.

Cheers :slight_smile:

There are firmware updates for the ES30 & ES35, might help :slight_smile:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vDownloads?storeId=15001&langId=-1&page=DVDFirmware

I am facing the exact same problem with my Panasonic DMR recorder.

Was anybody able to solve it without having to return the unit to Panasonic ?

So 2 days ago I joined the failed DMR-ES35V club, getting a ‘No READ’ message on DVDs, plus no video from the VCR. The problem appears to be a (embedded) software bug somewhere in the video data management chain, since it’s definitely not the hardware.
After trying a few things, including those mentioned here, I just called Panasonic here in Australia. My unit is now 18 months old, so out of warranty, but given that this is definitely a software bug, so is designed-in, rather than related to usage or wear or treatment, I can see no reason why they shouldn’t support it.

[B]Panasonic’s response: out of warranty, bad luck. [/B]This was not just the response of the initial consultant, but also further up the line. The senior consultant (Paul xxxx) initially tried to tell me that these devices don’t have software (implying it couldn’t be a software bug). My point was that with the new recorders being so rich in functionality, mostly provided by software, that there was NO WAY I could contemplate buying a Panasonic replacement, given my current experience and Panasonic’s ‘support’.

[B]Their advice: Pay for the extended warranty.[/B] Nice for them, they win again.

Well, maybe I will get extended warranty next time, because apparently we need to insure ourselves against designed-in bugs as well as traditional failure modes. [B]But I WILL NOT be buying a Panasonic.[/B]
Nice work, Panasonic customer service team.

[QUOTE=digitalics;2184923]So 2 days ago I joined the failed DMR-ES35V club, getting a ‘No READ’ message on DVDs, plus no video from the VCR. The problem appears to be a (embedded) software bug somewhere in the video data management chain, since it’s definitely not the hardware.
After trying a few things, including those mentioned here, I just called Panasonic here in Australia. My unit is now 18 months old, so out of warranty, but given that this is definitely a software bug, so is designed-in, rather than related to usage or wear or treatment, I can see no reason why they shouldn’t support it.[/QUOTE]

With regard to your DMR-ES35V “no read” situation, if there are grinding or scrubbing noises the problem is most likely dust, debris or oily residue on the DVD drive rubber hub. If there are loud clunking noises the problem is most likely a dirty or failed lens. See this thread for the Saint Baz hub/spindle cleaning procedure:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

The following post provides a photo showing the hub cleaning and the correct far left positioning of the roller/slider prior to securing the DVD drive lid:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/where-can-i-find-dmr-es25-replacement-drive-255277/#post2148477

The photos I posted in the Saint Baz thread show the older style black plastic DVD drive used through the 2005 model year.

In the US the DMR-ES35V model entered the marketplace in April/May 2006.

I’ve cleaned the hub/spindle at intervals of around eight to ten months in my five functional DMR-ES35V models, three of which now have more than 3,000 recording hours per machine. In a DMR-ES35V the hub/spindle cleaning procedure takes around fifteen minutes from opening to closing the case. The Saint Baz cleaning procedure utilizes one or two cotton swabs and 91% rubbing alcohol.

The lack of video from the VHS section may be due to dirty video heads. There are a variety of wet or dry video tape path cleaners. Since you will have the machine open for the DVD drive cleaning it will add perhaps another five minutes to clean the tape path. One must be very careful with the heads found on the VHS drum. I use an alcohol dipped cotton swab to very gently roll the swab over the heads a couple of times in the same direction as the tape travels. Clean the stationary heads, guides, and rubber pinch roller as well.

If the VHS section provides no video or audio there is a remote possibility of a VHS mechanism ribbon cable or contact failure.

The Digital PCB mounted on the sub-platform under the DVD drive is the “brains” of the DMR-ES35V. This board has the main logic chips and RAM as well as the “software.” Once the Digital PCB fails the only remedy is replacement as this part may not be repaired. Each Digital PCB must be specifically configured for the model in which it is fitted.

The DMR-ES35V has been the most reliable “workhorse” among my many Panasonics. I have these functional Panasonics: (2) DMR-ES30V and (1) DMR-ES40V (2005 models); (5) DMR-ES35V and (3) DMR-ES15 (2006 models); (4) DMR-EZ17 (2007 model) and (1) DMR-EZ28 (2008 model).