DVD recognised as DVD-rom

Hello,

I have a DVD (Spooks season 3 disc 2) which will not play on my laptop. I’ve tried updating DVD player software and decoders, but have noticed that in My Computer it does not show the DVD label, but shows “DVD-Rom” instead. Clicking into the drive it appears as blank, no VIDEO_TS etc. directories. But it works fine on my linux PC. All other DVDs seem to play fine on the laptop. I’ve tried the firmware update on the Toshiba website but that hasn’t fixed it. If anyone has any ideas it would be wonderful. The drive is a Toshiba SD-R2512.

Is Alcohol software installed?

It happens rather often that a disc in the box is damaged (bad pressing in the factory). I heard this many times from my friends, and this issue is rather annoying because even the replacement discs provided by vendors are often bad pressed (probably an entire batch of discs is damaged).

I suggest to make a backup of that disc asap, until it is readable just to be sure :slight_smile:

No, alcohol isn’t installed. I’ll try doing the backup on my linux machine and see if that works.

Thanks for the help, btw. I forgot to add that!