DVD rebuilder or DVD2DVD

vbimport

I’m looking at both these programmes cos I’m interested in the claims that these are the best to use to compress a dvd and get the best quality. which would you peeps recommend. Also which CCE programme. (ver 2.7 seems rather expensive.) Also these 2 progs are not too flexible for messing about with the files. I would like to get rid of the copyright warnings and film logos etc. :confused:

Maybe the best way to get rid of logos and other undesidered stuff is reauthor mode with dvd shrink, backing up only main movie

I have just tested Rebuilder and CCE 2.7 cobmination with Dances with wolves,
the result was terrible, biggest macroblocks I have ever seen (only in dark scenes).

Best copy I made was with DVDshrink (maximum smoothness) but I would
recommend to use maximum sharpness for most other movies

I am doing another test using RB and HC Encoder (free) right now.
(Quenc mode in RB)

but for the time beeing Shrink is still my number one which I recommend you to use

That’s a really odd result, might be worth mentioning in the DVD Rebuilder forum over at Doom9. Personally I certainly wouldn’t recommend DVD Shrink over Rebuilder (with CCE, HC or QuEnc). DVDReMake Pro would be my recommendation to get rid of the warning screens and whatnot.

DVD Rebuilder (using CCE, HC, or any other true encoder) creates entirely new I frames for its project, since it only uses the original as a reference while encoding a completely new stream.

With transcoders it depends on your settings. As such, transcoders such as DVD Shrink and CloneDVD2 leave I frames alone, and applies its compression to B (and, to a much lesser extent, P) frames. This allows more frames with high detail to sneak by, giving you better perceived quality than some other transcoders offer.

On large movies such as Lord of the Rings, however, the end result will be quite noticeable. The encoder will give you a better perceived quality compared to a transcoder. Because once again, it only uses the original as a reference while encoding a completely new stream that will fit on one DVD-5.

This all goes back to the “what’s the difference between an encoder and a transcoder?” debate.

BTW, I personally use the HC encoder. Additionally, I suggest you get the DVD Rebuilder Pro. as you can choose a different Matrix for different movies.

For instance, I use the BDVD matrix to remove the grainy effect Steven Spielberg uses in the “Band of Brothers” 6 disk set. I don’t care for the grain effect and so prefer my backups to my originals.

Regards,:slight_smile:

I just finished the copy using HC Encoder, Quenc mode in RB,
the movie I am trying to do is Dances with wolves, long version,
directors cut, 4 hours of movie.

The result is much better than CCE was but still not as good as
the result I’ve got with DVDShrink

I have still some visible macroblocks in dark scenes which I don’t have
in my Shrink copy (maximum smoothness)

Next try is HC Encoder, setup with Trelis quantizizer mode in RB and
UnDot and Deen filters added in RB under AVS Settings - Filters

You can get HC encoder for free on the RB Homepage in the Download-section

@johnnieboy
my 1st recommendation is still DVDShrink

if using RB I recommend HC Encoder

to get rid of the warning screens I am using CloneDVD2 (from Elby/Slysoft)

Trellis Quantization only works with QuEnc…

Now, DVD Rebuilder Professional v1.00RC4 is a very good program with many features.
You have to make a donation to get the Pro. version but it is worth it IMO.

You have the choice to encode the Whole movie, movie and menus or just the main movie only with the Pro. version.

There is also a blanking feature to let you blank out some of the extras you don’t won’t in addition to a slideshow feature that I use on the ending credits to save bitrate for the main movie.

There is a add-on called the Rebuilder Matrix Editor that gives you a choice of Matrices to use and a brand new feature…that lets you Extract the Matrix of a movie. Why then if you wish, with the extracted Matrix, you can use that matrix, if you really like it, on another movie.
This feature only works with DVD-RB Pro.

There is no guessing that I like DVD-RB. But I also still like and use DVD Shrink for certain things also. They are both good at what they do IMHO.

Regards,:slight_smile:

P.S. If you like playing with filters you will really like playing with a Matrix.

it’s not that I like to play with filters it’s just another try to get a good copy
of dances with wolves as without filters CCE and HC encoder failed and showed
extreme macroblocking in dark scenes

yes I’ve found out with DVD RB Pro that you can blank the extras etc therefore getting rid of the film logos etc. I guess it depends on whether these unwanted bits exist as seperate vob files. If they are part of one of the movie files it would be more difficult to eliminate them.
How many passes do you reckon with cce 2.5? default is 2.
Is ver 2.5 OK its alot cheaper than 2.7!!

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=53770

Q6: What version should I use?

Well, first you’ll have to choose between CCE-SP and CCE-Basic obviously depending on how deep your pockets are. Generally, I think that considering CCE-Basic uses the CCE-SP encoding engine, $58 is a really great deal. DVD-Rebuilder and Big-4 fully support CCE-Basic for high-quality full DVD backups.

As for CCE-SP, many people around here are still using the older 2.50 version. Generally speaking, at least to my eyes, there is no difference in quality between the 2.50 and 2.66/2.67/2.70 versions when using corresponding encoder settings. CCE-SP 2.50 is still the fastest choice for AMD processors while v2.66/2.67 (*I have not seen tests with 2.70) will run fastest (and a little faster than 2.50) on Intel P4 systems. As with any software, the newer versions have bugs removed and new features added (see the CCE-SP history.txt file). Apart from that I like the revamped GUI in CCE-SP 2.66/2.67/2.70 much better, all I can say is that if you have CCE-SP 2.50 and are happy with it, then you can stick with it, but you should possibly give the newer versions a try as well. Note that CCE-SP 2.50 will happily coexist with CCE-SP 2.66/2.67/2.70 so you can have installed both at the same time.

Note that between CCE-SP 2.50 and CCE-SP 2.66, Custom Technology also released CCE-SP 2.62 and CCE-SP 2.64. I have never used any of these versions but the general opinion seems to be that v2.62 is to be avoided because it cannot import AVISynth scripts and that v2.64 is generally less stable than v2.50.

I would recommend you to test the HC Encoder first (freeware)

In RB you have to choose Quenc mode and under setup you
must show to the ‘HCbatch_015.exe’ file.

Download from here and save in your Rebuilder directory
http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=78

here is a test that was done comparing the encoders i thought it was interesting

That’s one excellent test. Although with static programming you will require a large bitrate to accommodate the random nature of static and setup whatever encoder you use accordingly. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

TZ

Ok some thoughts:

1. I always preprocess my DVD’s with VOBBlanker. Clip out all the useless stuff.

2. I too have done a couple movies with DVD-RB where I experienced some SERIOUS Macroblocking. Finding Nemo was one, and it didn’t even require that much compression! However MOST movies have come out just fine. Where did you obtain CCE and which version was it? I’ve found that certain builds of CCE work better/worse with certain builds of DVD-RB. I have ONE good build now of 2.70 that works VERY WELL with DVD-RB and is pretty quick. And I stick with that. Until some new feature comes out in DVD-RB that requires a newer CCE, I’m just lumping the two together and using them this way.

3. In fact, when I went BACK and did the movies that had blocking with the newer CCE and DVD-RB… no more blocking. :slight_smile: