DVD reading problems with LG DRD8160B drive!

I bought a DVD-ROM about 6 months ago, a LG DRD8160b 16X

I installed it no probs, started to watch some DVDs, it was playing all right, but maybe after the 10th DVD, problems started.
Almost every movie I’m playing starts skipping at about 50 minutes of playback and sometimes the drive has a hard time trying to recognise a DVD, DVDs that are “dual layer” or “DVD-9” (i’m not sure how to call it) like Back to the future trilogy seems to be hard to recognise.

And there’s something else… The fact that the DVD starts to skip after about 50 min seems to be related to a conflict with the HD drive cause when the DVD drive’s orange LED shows activity the HDD’s red LED goes on simultaneously, I don’t think that it is normal. The HD led thing also happens when I read other medias too like DivX or simply by reading a Data or music cd:confused:

I’m running Windows XP SP1, almost all drivers are updated to their latest version, by the way I also have Win98 installed on another partition and the same problem also occurs, I also tried 2 different version of firmwares for my DVD drive, UDMA is enabled in the BIOS and in windows…

I don’t know what to do anymore, watching a DVD is still possible with the drive but with those conditions its so unpleasant, PLEASE somebody help!

Here lies my specs:

CPU : Intel Celeron 1100Mhz
Mobo : Asus CUV4X-C
RAM : 256 megs
HDD : Maxtor DiamondMax 40gigs 7200rpm
DVD drive installed as Secondary Master

For any other info just ask.

Thanks!

C’mon, nobody has a hint?!?

This DVD drive is going to drive my mad!:a

I listened to a whole movie without a hitch and tried 2 other DVDs, it won’t read them at all!!

:a :a :a

It could be an ide-driver problem, reinstall ide-drivers

It could be an ide-driver problem, reinstall ide-drivers

Thank you for your reply Hanfra!

Do you mean the Via hyperion 4 in 1 pack? If so, I installed the latest version yesterday.

Originally posted by Abacab
[B]Thank you for your reply Hanfra!

Do you mean the Via hyperion 4 in 1 pack? If so, I installed the latest version yesterday. [/B]

Yes that’s what he means.

If it doesn’t work out, try to uninstall all older IDE drivers before installing the new ones; sometimes that helps!