DVD read error

Few days back, a friend of mine gave me a set of softwares written on a cheap quality DVD-R. Very well, when i used it with my DVD-rw(sony dru G170A), it detected the DVD as a CD and failed to show up its content. I primarily thought it was because its a cheap DVD. Later i went to his home got the softwares written a sony DVD, he too has a sony dvd burner(dru G190).

Again my drive failed to recognize the DVD, it still said it was a CD. Fearing that the dvd drive’s read component has failed, I burned a test DVD on my system. Burned well & worked fine. But whenever i use the other DVD, it never shows up its content. next when I use the test DVD, it too doesnt show the contents. Only after a restart, it starts to show the contents of the test DVD. I tested the same DVD at my friends place, it works absolutely fine.

I wonder whats wrong? either the DVD drive or some software files have become corrupt.

Any nice suggestions for trouble shooting?

I have burned a lot of DVD’s before & never had a problem like this.

Here’s my rig config:
AMD x2,3800+,
mobo: m2n-mx, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD.
nvidia 7600GT 256MB
sony dru G170A/ dru aw G170A.
450 SMPS.

Software’s installed, winxp sp2, nero 8, isobuster, alcohol.

The drive is still under warranty. its almost 11 months, so I need to be quick to get it repaired/replaced if its a faulty drive.:smiley:

[QUOTE=shiraz045;1965704]Few days back, a friend of mine gave me a set of softwares written on a cheap quality DVD-R. Very well, when i used it with my DVD-rw(sony dru G170A), it detected the DVD as a CD and failed to show up its content. I primarily thought it was because its a cheap DVD. Later i went to his home got the softwares written a sony DVD, he too has a sony dvd burner(dru G190).

Again my drive failed to recognize the DVD, it still said it was a CD. Fearing that the dvd drive’s read component has failed, I burned a test DVD on my system. Burned well & worked fine. But whenever i use the other DVD, it never shows up its content. next when I use the test DVD, it too doesnt show the contents. Only after a restart, it starts to show the contents of the test DVD. I tested the same DVD at my friends place, it works absolutely fine.

I wonder whats wrong? either the DVD drive or some software files have become corrupt.

Any nice suggestions for trouble shooting?

I have burned a lot of DVD’s before & never had a problem like this.

Here’s my rig config:
AMD x2,3800+,
mobo: m2n-mx, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD.
nvidia 7600GT 256MB
sony dru G170A/ dru aw G170A.
450 SMPS.

Software’s installed, winxp sp2, nero 8, isobuster, alcohol.

The drive is still under warranty. its almost 11 months, so I need to be quick to get it repaired/replaced if its a faulty drive.:D[/QUOTE]

1. What kinda media did your friend use?
  2. Is your firmware updated on your burner?
  3. Alcohol might be causing read problems??
  4. What software did your friend use to write it to the DVD?
  5. Was the media finalized properly?
  6. Can isobuster see the media files on the DVD media?
  7. Is your burner the sole drive on the cable or MS and SL setup??
  8. Are you using 80 pin cable?
  9. Have you tried to read store bought movie DVD to see if it works properly??

That seems alot of info to ask but hardware and software various from system to system so it’s best to get more info to diagnosis the problem.

Hey, thanks.

I was just replying thru your questions, was just pondering over these questions
"[I]7. Is your burner the sole drive on the cable or MS and SL setup??[/I]
[I]8. Are you using 80 pin cable?"[/I]

Yes, its the only drive on that parallel IDE ribbon.
I just replaced it with a different IDE ribbon & rebooted the system. & voila it reads the DVD-R.

I have no idea what caused that problem. but it works absolutely fine now.
Maybe sometimes we need a completely different perspective to view a problem.

Did I say thanks before…

NP

Number 7 is meaning if you have two drive setup on a single IDE cable as you probably noticed the ribbon cable has one long end and two short ends with connectors close to each other those two connectors connects onto the IDE pins on your drive itself with the notch in the right way. Why I mentioned the Master and Slave setup is if you have a mix of HDD or DVD drives connected on the cable and one has to be jumpered Master and the other as Slave. Some people have missed this part and resulted in improper reading or locating of the HDD or DVD itself when they bootup.

Number 8 is the meaning it’s a 80 pin cable as it will be labeled or written on the package that contains the cable. Sometimes the people mistake 40pin for 80pin cable and switching to 80 pin solves the connection problem. And sometimes the 80 pin cable itself will go bad and since the cost of the cable is inexpensive that is a to check if our cable is still working order.

Well I hope I help at least clarify it more…good luck there…