DVD reaches speed barrier

vbimport

I just posted the article DVD reaches speed barrier.

Just two
days ago, the Recordable DVD Council (RDVDC), the organization responsible for
the DVD-RAM format, announced that the new 16x writing specification
is near ready. …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10834-DVD-reaches-speed-barrier.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10834-DVD-reaches-speed-barrier.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Speed is good if you’re in a hurry, but it affects writting quality and life expectations. If you want good sound quality record at lower speeds - see last Yamaha CD recorder, it was able to write at 44x but to get “Master Quality” it would write a 4 or 8x maximum. And the same for video, if you are using a video editor and want your own produced DVDs to be top quality record at the lowest speed you can. So, just a matter of choices…

toooo right like we all gonna run out and buy new drives all over again i think not

If you know how LG 4163B’s 16x burns look - they actually spin faster than other drives and PCAV at the end… if it didn’t it would probably reach 18x!

Time to redesign burners so the laser spins instead of (or as well as) the disc.

16x +RW is great but I’ve yet to see any 8x +RW media available anywhere.

Much less, any high speed RW that actually works in a reliable way.

yeah agreed. same about cd-rw (and that is oooooold) - i think only verbatim has 32x cd-rw media? while i agree - 16x rw would be VERY nice, provided it works reliably :slight_smile:

higher speed = media more sensitive to laser = more sensitve to light = faster degradation in most cases - just like people having trouble wid US CD-RW … never seen a US+ yet

I have said this before, 16x is not the top writing speed. Yep, you can’t spin the disc faster, but you can add multiple write heads and increase writing speed by splitting up the work. OK, DVD writer manus. I’ve already figured out what you need to do, now you need to figure out how to implement it. :B
[edited by Saruman on 07.09.2005 13:05]

hehehe last time they tried a multi head reader the company that made it got sued and lost a lot of money. I don’t think anyone is going to touch a multi head anything for awhile.

Although it’s clear to me that 16x will be the maximum speed for DVD…I’m intruiguid by the suggestion of rotating the laser assembly! Manufacturers would NEVER spend the money on a DVD writer because HDD DVD and BLU RAY are knocking on their doors, but it’s nice to be shown wrong just when you think you undertand the absolute technical limitations (media speeds). Spinning the laser assembly is out-of-the-box thinking at it’s best, good job! Now, who would buy a 32X DVD burner for $10,000?