DVD raw data Iso/Joliet Or Udf (data integrity)

I have been writing Dvds For years in Iso/Joliet format… I have only used udf for dvd video and for files larger than 2 gb …

In all other cases i use Iso…

My question is is there any advantage in goin to Udf completely?

Will Udf provide better data integrity?
Less errors? easier to recover or anything?

What are the other benefits of udf?

If i am switching to udf ( completely avoiding iso for an important reason you guys give) which version should i choose …

Which is the most stable and reliable and also readable in windows XP and vista? 1.2 or 1.5 or 2 or …
_sekhar is offline Reply With Quote

I can only try to answer one of your questions. When reading a DVD, the file system being used should not have any affect on integrity. The error detection and correction for DVD is on a sector basis (actually ECC block) and not based on the file sytem being used. I can’t think of any advantages of switching to UDF unless you must (RW media). But perhaps there are good reasons.

RM

has iso or will iso become obsolete… and some1 clear all the doubts in the abov question

please help

No it hasn’t become obsolete, me personally I use the iso/udf option in nero for data dvds, the disc then contains all 3 files systems iso/joliet/udf I only ever use just udf if backing up a file that’s over 2GB and iso if I am burning some avis off to watch on the xbox as it doesn’t seem the like the iso/udf option(files don’t show up in xmpc).

As for the UDF option I use 1.02 as its the lowest one so in theory the backwards compatibility should be better.

@jedi master

Thanks for the reply so my strategy of writing Iso/joliet For Dvds(data)
and using udf for only Dvd Videos and larger files , I think in should continue with what i am doing…

The defect management feature in udf is for RW ? right and not for Dvd±R

Defect Management is only for DVD-RAM and Some RW (depends on the FS).
It is also there for BLU RAY.