DVD-Ranger update adds easy Cinavia removal from torrent files

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: DVD-Ranger update adds easy Cinavia removal from torrent files[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/05/cinavia_headline-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-ranger-update-adds-easy-cinavia-removal-from-torrent-files-71636

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Is there [I]any[/I] way to spin this to claim that this isn’t software made specifically to break the law?

Every copy software is in parts made to break laws, somewhere. It is really amazing to ask this.

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2728113]Every copy software is in parts made to break laws, somewhere. It is really amazing to ask this.[/QUOTE] It can be spun that people should be allowed to copy movies that they have bought. It’s certainly my own moral viewpoint if not actually supported by law.

But anything that is downloaded through bit-torrent or similar AND is protected by Cinavia, is clearly not paid for and is clearly not freely distributable, so any presumed innocence until proven guilty seems to be gone.

There is a difference between copying a dvd for one’s own use and outright piracy in the form of torrent files.

Dragemaster beat me to it.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2728108]Is there [I]any[/I] way to spin this to claim that this isn’t software made specifically to break the law?[/QUOTE]

:iagree:
Since our US friends are blocked from buying a decent decrypter to backup their expensive discs,I think it’s pretty obvious that there’s a lot of them moving to torrents to get their backup copy…:bigsmile:
And now they have the possability to remove the pesky Cinevia,to burn the file or play them in their blu-ray equipment,instead of a converted file through a mediaserver,a hooked up pc or whatever…:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2728113]Every copy software is in parts made to break laws, somewhere. It is really amazing to ask this.[/QUOTE]

Money is the root of all evil. You are probably next on the list for the AACS-LA.

I’m not working with blu-ray but won’t AnyDVDHD decrypt blu-ray ?
AFAIK it is still available in the US.
It doesn’t remove cinavia from a copy but should work for blu-ray without cinavia.

For the torrents : I agree with the above posts most if not all are illegal .
My own opinion is let people do what they want legal or illegal.
Then prosecute for the illegal activity when law enforcement finds it has actually been done . No “thought” crime prosecution . No restrictions just because someone “might” commit a crime.

I had read that a lawsuit was brought against a whole list of people who were warned with DMCA notices by their cable companies in the US for downloading movies through torrents.The judge threw out the lawsuit and ruled that each case would have to be prosecuted on a single basis making it much harder for the movie companies, if not impossible because of the financial cost.

I will try to find the article if anyone is interested.

[QUOTE=cholla;2728123]No “thought” crime prosecution . No restrictions just because someone “might” commit a crime.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:Healthy vision…:clap:
Otherwise we can close the world wide web too,because it can be abused by anyone with internet access…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2728123]I’m not working with blu-ray but won’t AnyDVDHD decrypt blu-ray ?
AFAIK it is still available in the US.
It doesn’t remove cinavia from a copy but should work for blu-ray without cinavia.

My own opinion is let people do what they want legal or illegal.
Then prosecute for the illegal activity when law enforcement finds it has actually been done . No “thought” crime prosecution . No restrictions just because someone “might” commit a crime.[/QUOTE]

I would say the content in the torrent may be illegally distributed. But I would not say that torrents are illegal.

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2728138] But I would not say that torrents are illegal.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!:iagree:
Otherwise,every major Linux distro would be illegal too,as most of them are also distributed by torrents,to save bandwidth for the developers…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cpubound;2728130]I had read that a lawsuit was brought against a whole list of people who were warned with DMCA notices by their cable companies in the US for downloading movies through torrents.The judge threw out the lawsuit and ruled that each case would have to be prosecuted on a single basis making it much harder for the movie companies, if not impossible because of the financial cost.

I will try to find the article if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

All the people make a download without protection, have this self-inflicted. There are VPN and as sample http://www.torrentprivacy.com/, and no one can see what you download.
DO you rob a bank without a mask? Haha

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2728160]All the people make a download without protection, have this self-inflicted. There are VPN and as sample http://www.torrentprivacy.com/, and no one can see what you download.
DO you rob a bank without a mask? Haha[/QUOTE]

My post was meant to explain that if prosecution by the movie companies has to be on an individual basis, then it may be more worthwhile for them to use scare tactics. They can only prosecute a small percentage of the total number of p2p file sharers. Not the ideal situation for them. Thus, the advent of cinavia and other copyright protections.

I am sure that they are aware of VPNs and other torrent privacy techniques. This only compounds the aggravation for them.

If you invented a product and had a copyright patent would you be angry that a person or company was infringing upon your copyright protections.

I do think that dvds should be allowed to be copied for personal use, but how do you enforce that when the enforcement techniques are so weak and there are so many violators.

The only solution would be to give a lifetime waranty on the dvd, which poses a whole new set of problems.

I think, if you have a product and a copyright patent that has the only goal to avoid people to watch a movie or to make a copy, then you have to know that people will crack it. It is stupid to think that noone will crack it.

However, the discussion is not the p2p or copy protection, the only problem are the really stupid movie companies. They spend millions of dollars to copy protections but they are not able to develop a system that allow the people to watch the movies they want for a price that is ok.
In spain you can order a movie from streaming network that costs 2 Euro. The Blu-ray costs 15 Euro. If you reduce the price from the Blu-ray with the costs of production, copy protection and finaly distribution, then you will finaly come to a price of 2 Euro. But you are allowed to watch the 2 Euro movie from the streaming network 1 time. So that is the point. People will pay and watch the movie and if they like they will download by Torrent. And in my eyes, the act the right way.

The movie companies say it is pirate content, but the only thing is they act as a pirate in case of to high prices and too low service.

Kudos ranger for the progress made so far. One thing I noticed is that your program seems to crash when loading HD video files. I tried it on a 2 hour movie file High Definition and it simply crashes.

PC specs:

Windows 7

2 GB of ram.

Fairly recent machine.

Very Nice Update DvdRanger thank you!!:flower:

I will stay out of the torrent discussion…LOL:D

[QUOTE=Macrovision3500;2728171]Kudos ranger for the progress made so far. One thing I noticed is that your program seems to crash when loading HD video files. I tried it on a 2 hour movie file High Definition and it simply crashes.

PC specs:

Windows 7

2 GB of ram.

Fairly recent machine.[/QUOTE]

It is possible, sure. You are willing to upload it to my ftp?

[QUOTE=DVDranger;2728174]It is possible, sure. You are willing to upload it to my ftp?[/QUOTE]
You can reproduce this your self…its the same result for any movie you throw at it in the resolution of 1280x720 in 2 hour length.

hmm, I have tried now many movies in HD and all are working well. What kind of file is it? Avi, mkv, mp4? What audio?