DVD-Ranger crowdfunding page disappears – taken down

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: DVD-Ranger crowdfunding page disappears – taken down[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/09/myce-cinex-module-screenshot-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

We recently reported about DVD-Ranger hoping to raise $120,000 for the development of their Cinavia copy protection removal software CinEx, now the page on crowdfunding website Indiegogo is disabled.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-ranger-crowdfunding-page-disappears-taken-down-68856/](http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-ranger-crowdfunding-page-disappears-taken-down-68856/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Several users on our website were afraid that the disappearance of the page had something to do with Sony or Verance which reportedly tried to stop development of CinEx before but we can now confirm this isn’t the case.

Odd how they make claim and removes it without explanation. That kinda transparency is the reason why one can’t trust them and their software to even work to start with or do as they claim. This is regardless of what Sony or Verance does explaining rather then hiding helps more but since one is good at hiding problems that would explain the sudden disappearance.

The trustworthiness that DVDRanger has earned here for their claims remains at a low point for me. So the comment “DVD-Ranger told us someone reported the project to Indiegogo as fraud” is given the same value as the Verance-Sony obstacle claims from last year.

And even in our recent exchanges, DVDRanger admitted that he promised nothing, and that a new obstacle could stop developments. He offered up nebulous white-washes about open source, but ended by saying he couldn’t promise anything.

And I’m scratching my head over the “success” rating the MyCE article uses for CinEX’s Cinavia ‘removal’. Since they’ve allowed the video to proceed, I guess “success” might be correct in that very limited sense, but the severely-degraded audio in a format (BluRay) that heralds Highest Audio Standards earns less-than-successful ratings, in practice. If White Papers alone solved all problems, we’d all be enjoying nirvana.

But there remains hope!

And so the Soap opera continues Dvdranger and Cinivia been going on now for a year just about to the date… first no product delivery as annouced for Halloween of 2012 whcih took them 7 days to release a public staement… because of the Sony Injuction which no one can prove or deny happenned.

Now the Page for donations has been taken down do to a complaint about Fraud.

This company has more problems that I can count and more stories that just don’t add up.

One thing they have done is Cinex will get you by the dreaded warning flag and mute but the sound is degraded so bad at this point in development it is useles.

I hope they make improvements but I have to say this is one for the books,never have I seen so much posted about a single company in a years time than Dvdranger too bad 99% of it was all negative but the company brought it on themselves.

Time will tell rather they defeat Cinivia or Just completely loose whatever reputation they had before all of this Cinivia Mess .

Good luck to them…

Enough speculation here, this is embarrasing, I do not think anyone is committing fraud, I do not think anyone is doing anything hurtful here, I think its just a mixup and it will get sorted. I really do not like to see any developer get bashed for trying to make a product that the public might be able to use, no one can force you to buy it, but lets have a bit of class here at Myce.com. At least give the benefit of the doubt.:wink:

I don’t believe most members here actually bashed DVD-Ranger .
We asked questions that seldom had forthcoming answers .
The asking of such questions were quickly labled “Dissing” by DVDranger & the other one.
That did lead to some limited “bashing” but usually only after the “Dissing” accusation.
If the responses had been professional from the DVD-Ranger side I don’t beleive there would have been any “bashing”. That’s not the way most CDFreaks (myce) members conduct themselves.

“the benefit of the doubt” is not something that is unlimited. In this case, “fraud” might be a bit strong but it’s not an accusation that’s without any basis. Credibility is very low, and money has been taken from people. So when nobody is buying the software, a plea is made for “donations”. That’s not really how its supposed to work - you create a useful tool and then people pay you for it. Making false claims about what the software actually does is not helping in the credibility department.

What baffles me is why MyCE persists in offering free publicity. This is not a “company” that I would want my name attached to.

[QUOTE=cholla;2700779]I don’t believe most members here actually bashed DVD-Ranger .
We asked questions that seldom had forthcoming answers .
The asking of such questions were quickly labled “Dissing” by DVDranger & the other one.
That did lead to some limited “bashing” but usually only after the “Dissing” accusation.
If the responses had been professional from the DVD-Ranger side I don’t beleive there would have been any “bashing”. That’s not the way most CDFreaks (myce) members conduct themselves.[/QUOTE]
Thank you cholla, I know you are very respectable as are most of the Myce faithful, I would just like our threads to be posted as we would like to be treated, we are Myce.com, we are a professional community, I just wanted to remind some of the posters to make us proud, even if the OP has a bit of an attitude, he may have been through alot in the past few weeks, and lets take that into consideration, and I do agree with you, he might come off as unprofessional, but that does not mean we have return that attitude. :wink:

[QUOTE=CDan;2700784]What baffles me is why MyCE persists in offering free publicity. This is not a “company” that I would want my name attached to.[/QUOTE]

Since we started to report about DVD-Ranger I feel we should do the full coverage. I think our members are smart enough to decide whether they want to support the company or not.

And of course other members can advice them what to do and I can guess your advice :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2700793]Since we started to report about DVD-Ranger I feel we should do the full coverage. I think our members are smart enough to decide whether they want to support the company or not.

And of course other members can advice them what to do and I can guess your advice ;)[/QUOTE]

All true as far as it goes, but there do seem to be an inordinate number of “headlines”. And the wording of those headlines is often slanted towards the company in question. An unbiased approach would look more like a dedicated thread or even forum for all topics related. DVD-Ranger has thus far done nothing deserving of headlines.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2700776]Enough speculation here, this is embarrasing, I do not think anyone is committing fraud, I do not think anyone is doing anything hurtful here, I think its just a mixup and it will get sorted. I really do not like to see any developer get bashed for trying to make a product that the public might be able to use, no one can force you to buy it, but lets have a bit of class here at Myce.com. At least give the benefit of the doubt.;)[/QUOTE]There is No way that I believe the company has been fraudulent in any way shape or form to make that crystal clear.
Their marketing tatics are far from polished a forum like this can make or break a software Company just do a google search.

Before all the Cinex stuff came out last year I was happy using their standard release of dvdranger I seldom ran into any problems with their software and it was updated on a regular basis and has been since 2009.

I can see where the owner / author can be a bit tempermental if everything he has said is the truth going through a injuction from Sony the first time last year and then decideing to circumvent Cinivia another way is Just mind boggling to anyone that has read about this for the last year.

I will give the company a fair shake but still too many unanswered questions…

If you Visit their home page it just adds more to the mistery comparing thier Cinivia to the big players like Slysoft and Dvdfab that are doing nothing to defeat cinivia I don’t think that is a true statement.

Facts I know first hand:

1.)Since the first release of dvdranger back in 2009 I bought a license and it never said lifetime anywhere when first launched but the key I have is lifetime and every version has been free from version two right through version 5 fact:).

2.) dvdranger with out cinex works very well and they have added many features free of charge since 2009 for free.

Facts I don’t Know.

1.) Was there ever a sony court Injuction last year unknown.

2.) if there was in fact a Sony Injuction last year why would Sony not block this attempt too?

3.) I wish the company had asked for donations to defeat Cinivia before they even annouced there was a presale for it and would be available Halloween of 2012 that never was to be.

Conclusion I think the company has mostly a lack of marketing skills and what they do is not very well thought out does that make this Company a fraud absolutely not in my opinion.

Good luck to the company and I do wish them well:)

[QUOTE=CDan;2700784]“the benefit of the doubt” is not something that is unlimited. In this case, “fraud” might be a bit strong but it’s not an accusation that’s without any basis. Credibility is very low, and money has been taken from people. So when nobody is buying the software, a plea is made for “donations”. That’s not really how its supposed to work - you create a useful tool and then people pay you for it. Making false claims about what the software actually does is not helping in the credibility department.

What baffles me is why MyCE persists in offering free publicity. This is not a “company” that I would want my name attached to.[/QUOTE]Reporting on Cinvia and Dvdranger makes for higher ratings in the search engines bringing in more Visitors that while here click on advertising each click equals money to support the forum costs.

The more of a debate the more new guests come and new members = more money from ads for the forum.

Plus the debate for the most part makes for interesting reading and I would hate to see the debate stop here and I would like to see where this ends in a few months to another year it maybe interesting.:slight_smile:

I knew of this 3+ days ago I believe. I even had a insider tell me the donation link is on their forum but to see their forum you must register.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2700851]I knew of this 3+ days ago I believe. I even had a insider tell me the donation link is on their forum but to see their forum you must register.[/QUOTE]Interesting news along with what was posted here it only takes one complaint on some sites for them to stop it until they come to a decsion of rather the donations on the site conform to their rules it doesn’t mean it was fraud of any kind.

Nice to know it has been moved to the support forum that no one can read because you have to register I refuse to do that.

Nice to know it has been moved to the support forum that no one can read because you have to register I refuse to do that.

Yeah that. Let’s do something marginally legal [I]and[/I] require ID before you can donate something to the cause…I think not, thank you.

I dont see any donation page in their forum and I am registred

I have mixed feelings about all this, on the one hand, I would like to see progress made toward getting good quality audio infested by cinavia but I think we have to be realistic about it at the same time.

If he is bundling his cinex along with his other offerings, I understand that would allow him to lure buyers by that fact in addition to his main software offering.

About being realistic, there are too many great workarounds that don’t have to include defeating cinavia–this is no doubt about it, this is the best way to go.

Here’s my main thought and my intention isn’t to be disrespectful to him but I don’t think he has the talent level needed to truly defeat cinavia in the fashion most everyone is use to IRT getting rid of copy protection schemes.
Not that he isn’t good at what he does but this doesn’t include copy protection in the form of audio protection.
The majority of high def. video users…who go further than simply putting the original disc in a player have moved away from making their copies in the form of another disc (BD).
Therefore for the most part the community as a whole only has a low level curiosity about cinavia…not to mention that the movies that have it…for the most part…aren’t exactly blockbusters.

IMO, what is would take to break the CP is for a group of talented individuals to first get interested then as a team effort work toward the goal of breaking it.
Such a group usually consists of members of doom9 although it wouldn’t be limited to them alone.
I don’t see them interested at all in this…because of the afore-mentioned reasons.

Without true removal or rendering it ineffective, what we will be left with is a lower quality audio…by means of applying already current filters…no doubt were not designed with the intent to handle something as complex as cinavia.

So to put this in perspective, everyone must lower their expectations with the end result since it is as of now impossible to defeat this CP by the way things were done in the past.

Having said all that, I do believe the audio quality can be improved using current filters but it will never…ever be high definition audio…likely one will need to forget about even high fidelity or multi-channels…only 2 channel/ stereo should be considered.

I have continued working with filterings to see how the scheme reacts to different scenarios…roughly documenting my results.
I think I have a fairly good theory of what it is…if I am correct, most of what I have read isn’t exactly true.
It can be masked so that it doesn’t respond though it is a formidable challenge to try to keep the audio closer to the original…and without the cinavia activation message.

I have got it down to …still having trouble retaining midrange to the level I want it…so it sounds…well…too tinny…more tests and tryouts to do…
I know what it takes to beat it…just haven’t got the sound I would like yet.

[QUOTE=calcu007;2700864]I dont see any donation page in their forum and I am registred[/QUOTE]

Probably got deleted

Much better, discussion in a professional manner is always encouraged at Myce.com, I am very happy that everyone can express their opinion in a way that is respectful and yet get your point across. Lets hope DVD Ranger succeeds and has a bright future. There is no downside to wish someone well.:wink:

I wish Dvdranger the best in their on going try to defeat Cinivia if they reach a point where they have not degraded the sound at all then I will say Cinivia is in fact beaten.

Until then there is still no Viable fix for Cinivia.

It will be broken in time that I have no doubt but by who is the question, will it be another company or a group of individuals?

We don’t know at this time but the day will come.:slight_smile: