DVD-RAM vs. RW?

vbimport

I’d like to know about the difference between DVD-RAMs and DVD-+RW.

What are exactly the benefits of using a DVD-RAM on a stand-alone DVD recorder, for cable tv/VHS captures, instead of a regular RW??

Is it better than RW when it comes to transfering the videos to a PC for editing and authoring??

Theres any REAL technical plus, or just the fact that DVD-RAMs can be rewritten many more times than a RW??

thanks for any explanation…

I couldn’t tell you about difference on a standalone, but a couple of differences on a PC are that you can use RAM like a hard drive, and back up in bits, without having to redo the whole disc.

Another is that it verifies the data as it’s being written, whereas RW doesn’t.

As you can probably tell, I’m a RAM-lover :bigsmile:

thanks!!

anyone knows how the difference applies to standalone DVD recorders??

are there real benefits??? should a buy a Panasonic JUST because of this??

Generally the use of DVD-RAM on standalones allows time-shifting, which to me is a useful feature. This would enable me to start recording a program & then , say, half an hour into the recording actually start watching it from the beginning.

I wouldn’t buy a DVD recorder that didn’t have this feature.

Plus the expected life of RAM discs far exceeds RW media.

thats absolutely useless for me…

is that the major benefit???

i thought there was something related to editing of the videos on the media.

If you plan on editing on the stand alone, RAM is clearly superior. If you’re going to edit on a PC after transfering I would chose RW media due to faster transfer rates.

sorry if its a dumb question, but i really never used a stand-alone DVD recorder:

what can i edit on a stand-alone??

what “editing” i would be able to do on a DVD-Ram that a RW wouldnt allow me??

i thought i could only edit on a PC!!! thats great news!! i guess…

It all depends on the model you purchase. In general, editing on a standalone is limited and clumsy because you have to use the remote to control the editing functions, enter titles, etc.

i know this is the blani media section, but, maybe a kindred heart would tell me what is the best manufacterer concerning editing capabilities: LG, Philips or Panasonic. thanks…

In a set-top recorder, the biggest practical difference is that a RAM disc does not have to be finalized, which can save a couple minutes of waiting to remove the disc from the drive. Apart from that, the editing options are the biggest difference. Suggest reading a coupla owner’s manuals, as the various recorders can differ. RAM also usually offers the option of recording in 16:9 format if you have a source that’s in that format.

I use RAM discs because they are reliable. RW discs all seem to fail eventually.

DVD-RAM media is hardsectored, like hdds are.

Other recordable media isn’t, of course.

AFAIK the main advantage to RAM is that it can be read and written to at the same time.

Yeah, overall I like RAM because I can backup incrementally, and I’ve had one backup on the go for about a year, just over…and it’s still doing nicely, thankyou very much. :slight_smile:

DVD-RAM > really safe for backing up precious media.
DVD±RW > not, especially RW.

I use a Panasonic HDD DVD Standalone recorder. When copying contents from HDD to DVD I only use RAM. The main advantage using DVD-RAM is that I can do high-speed dubbing to RAM without any restriction. With DVD-R features as advanced CBR and recording with subchannel (in Japan some programs have 2 sound tracks when movies are shown 1 is japanese and the other is original language) have to be turned off before recording to HDD to allow high speed dubbing afterwards. So this is no option for me. I can dub to DVD-R but then the dubbing time is the same as the running time of the program (if movie is 3hrs long dubbing time is 3hrs) while with DVD-RAM it only takes about 15mins when using 5x media. So most of the time dubbing to RAM and then Editing and burning to DVD-R using my PC is much faster than editing on standalone recorder and then burn to DVD-R.
Many Panasonic have this restriction when using anyother type than DVD-RAM and I heard of other makers having it too. So i would first DL the manuals at the Makers homepage and check before buying a recorder (1x dubbing to DVD-R really sucks !).

I have a LiteOn standalone recorder and DVD+RW discs don’t have to be finalized, and can be played in other standalone players.

That only depends on the standalone recorder and it’s firmware/software, not all of them have this feature…

DVD-R and DVD-RW need to be finalized to asure maximum compatibility with other players. It is not a problem if you use those in your own recorder but can cause problems when trying to play these discs back in a standalone player from an other maker or older players which are not DVD-VR (DVD Video Recording) compatible. Non finalized disc are recorded in the DVD-VR format and this can cause above mentioned problems. DVD-RAM is also recorded in DVD-VR. DVD+RW is done in the DVD+VR which is not the same as DVD-VR.

I’d like to THANK everybody who is kindly sharing theri knowledge on this post!!

Really? I thought this was a feature of the DVD+RW media, not the recorder.