DVD-RAM, +R DL, -R DL... which is best?

Which kind of media is best to backup movies???

Best as in “more reliable” and most important: cross-device!.. I want to be able to play them back in other DVD readers!

DVD-Ram is most reliable. Rewritable up to 100000 times (!), afaik.

Unfortunately, it is not readable by most standalone players and dvd-rom readers.

The best you can do is to get high quality DVD-R or DVD+R media (booktype set to DVD-Rom!) by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. You should avoid Ritek or Princo media, imo.

easy-going-man is dead on right. Read up on bitsetting.

I’ll just add, that DVD-RAM is best suited for backups of personal data like documents, mails and similar, as newer files can easily be added without fiddling around with multisession and burning software.

Michael

Moving this to the blank media forum where you should get a better response. It doesn’t really belong in the LG writer forum.

I’d just like to add that if you choose DL media, stay with DVD+R DL and specifically Verbatim branded ones only.

DVD-R DL discs are a newer standard not properly supported by many DVD players. If you use those, you are likely to run into compatibility problems when playing them back on DVD players. So you are better of with DVD+R DL discs.

Why only Verbatim? The other brands generally either a) won’t burn properly on a lot of writers or b) give problems with playback on DVD players. I am not making this up. If you do a few searches, you will see that it is true.

Bear in mind that if you do choose DL media, it costs more than single layered discs. Whether to use SL or DL media, the choice is up to you.

I’ve had better luck with -R media than +R media as far as compatibility goes. I’ve come across a number of Panasonic DVD players that can’t play +R media unless it’s burned to very stringent specifications… I don’t remember the details for sure anymore, but there was something about a certain number of bytes of info between certain files (I believe it could only be accomplished with ImgBurn??? Maybe someone else knows what I’m talking about…)

thanks to all for this info… indeed very helpful for a newbie.

btw, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum… thanks for moving it admin.

I’ll try with Verbatim from now on… is there any other brand, aside from Verbatim that you’d recommend??. Indeed I’ll stay away of Princo and Ritek -actually, Datasafe DVD’s are Ritek as I just discovered…

Thanks again

That’s and Plextor are also recommended. :wink:

excuse me one last question: is there different “qualities” within Verbatim itself?, that is, if I ask for Verbatim DVD+R DL… are there different “types”?. I am asking this because I have seen some Verbatim 2.4x, other 4x… and I was wondering if getting for example the 2.4x means I have “less” quality than getting the 4x. If it’s only a matter of speed I don’t really mind, since ok it’ll take more time to write but I don’t really write “that” often so a bit of delay is ok.

there’s 2.4x and 8x.
they’re both good.
how fast you can actually burn them depends on your drive.
e.g. some drives will burn the 2.4x at 2.4x only, others at 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x.