DVD-RAM formatting & usage issues

vbimport

Hi.
I have purchased a Maxell 5X 4.7GB DVD-RAM.
I have rpoblems about how to burn this disc.

I realised there’re at least 3 formats I could format my disc, ie UDF 1.5, UDF 2.0 & FAT32. Does anyone know what’re their differences, pros & cons (or do you know any article which discuss about this)?
Which one should I choose?
As to UDF, what software do I need to format my disc in UDF format.

OK, after I’ve formatted my disc, do I simply drag and drop to burn, or else?

Is it okay to utilize all the 4.7GB space?
Or should I need to keep some free space for some reasons?If so, why?

Thanks for yourr help. :slight_smile:

What burner do you have? There’s a Panasonic driver linked to around here that will allow you to format and write in UDF…failing that, Windows XP supports FAT32 natively (via “Disk Management”).

And if you can use the Panasonic driver, yes, you can just use it to drag and drop in Explorer.

Not sure about how much space it’s OK to utilise, though…I don’t think any of my RAM backups have come near 4 gigs…yet. :slight_smile:

Not sure about the pros and cons of each format, maybe someone who knows more about them can post about that :wink:

I’m using LiteOn SHM-165P6S.
Please help me to update the first post and include this info in.
I don’t know why the edit post disappears after just a short while.

Hi Wai Wai
The way you use your disc will depend on: your drive (trademark, model?), your Operating System (XP. Mac OS, Linux), the software you use, the purpose you want DVD-RAM for.
Arachne have already made the impotant remarks.

XP supports FAT 32

Depending on your drive (OEM, Bulk, Retail), you may have got software to work with the disc or not.
Panasonic is the probably the “father” of the format and has a driver (RAM-Driver), but now it requires a Pana drive to install.
There are some “flavours” of this driver, one being marketed by BHA, that used to come with LG drives - not anymore, so depends on your model. But there are other manufacturers that use it yet.
This driver can use FAT32, UDF 1.5 and 2.0 (it seems BHA’s have also 2.05, but not sure).
With this driver installed, Win98, Win2000 also “see” a FAT32 disc as an extenal HDD, so jusr D&Drop.
Other drives come with Nero (including the last LGs) and use InCD for DVD-RAM.
InCD can format several more flavours of UDF, but you have to look for the purposes.

The advantage of FAT32 is that you don’t need packet writting software (a lot of problems caused by them) and work just like a big floppy or HDD, using the OS.

On UDF - Panasonic says 1.5 is for data, 2.0 is optimized for video, and 2.05 maybe for streaming video also.

If you look around (Gloogle can help you) you will find information on the purposes of the several UDF versions, that are not as “Universal” as they should…

Advantage of UDF over FAT32, apart from speed difs, file size limit - FAT32 MAX 2GB.

If you have InCD installed be awere about conflicts with the Pana RAM-Driver.
InCD will allow you D&Drop with USF dormatted discs.
I don’t know if the last version can also handle FAT32 the same way.

Linux supports DVD-RAM (native) - you can D&Drop.

Formatted disc MAX around 4.3 GB.

Last point: isn’t your Maxell disc pre-formatted? A lot of discs come that way, most of them formatted as UDF 2.0 +

Drive: LiteOn SHM-165P6S
Burning Software: Nero, and PowerDVD
Purpose of DVD-RAM: Keep frequently updated personal data and software backups.

Panasonic is the probably the “father” of the format and has a driver (RAM-Driver), but now it requires a Pana drive to install.
There are some “flavours” of this driver, one being marketed by BHA, that used to come with LG drives - not anymore, so depends on your model. But there are other manufacturers that use it yet.
This driver can use FAT32, UDF 1.5 and 2.0 (it seems BHA’s have also 2.05, but not sure).
With this driver installed, Win98, Win2000 also “see” a FAT32 disc as an extenal HDD, so just D&Drop.
Other drives come with Nero (including the last LGs) and use InCD for DVD-RAM.
InCD can format several more flavours of UDF, but you have to look for the purposes.

As I use LiteOn, so the only way I could do is to use Nero InCD to format my DVD-RAM, right?

And InCD seems to be problematic and unstable.
I use InCD to write CD-RW previously with no good result.

If you look around (Google can help you) you will find information on the purposes of the several UDF versions, that are not as “Universal” as they should…

I tried googling PDF vs FAT32 in vain.
It seems no one interested in a comparison between these 2 formats.

If you have InCD installed be awere about conflicts with the Pana RAM-Driver.
InCD will allow you D&Drop with USF dormatted discs.
I don’t know if the last version can also handle FAT32 the same way.

I assume you say “D&Drop with UDF dormatted discs”, right?

Last point: isn’t your Maxell disc pre-formatted? A lot of discs come that way, most of them formatted as UDF 2.0 +

I’m not sure, but when I inserted the disc and run in Windows XP Pro, a dialog prompt me that "the disc has not be formatted. Would you like to format it now?"
Maybe the disc is already formatted but cannot be recognised in Windows.

I use a version of the Panasonic driver (I have two LG drives), not sure if they work with LiteOn drives, though.

There is a thread which discusses the differences between UDF versions/FAT32…I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: if you want to format to FAT32 in XP, try it via “Disk Management”.

Edit 2: Found a link to said Panasonic driver, in this thread. As I said, don’t know if it works with Liteys.

:slight_smile:

Arachne, Just used the link but could not find the files?
Has he stopped hosting them or is it time for a G&T, the sun is over the yard arm. :bigsmile:

It’s time for that G&T, I can see them :bigsmile:…they’re underlined, latest one is 5.0.2.1 for XP :wink:

I can see the links but does not take me directly to the file for download and no guide on the site that leads to them. :confused:

Right-click on them, “Save Target As”…works for me, just tried it twice :bigsmile:

The Panasonic driver has a data file that lists all the drives it works with plus a so called “generic” device, that’s the reason why the link given by Arachne indicates it will work with any drive, but no direct knowledge about yours.

You only need InCD if you want to format as UDF and you don’t have another software. Be careful because the Pana drive offers format facilities when you right click the mouse over the drive’s letter, and as InCd does the same you may not have both of them at the same time.
You can take both off the start of the machine and call the one you need at dif times, but I don’t know if even that way it works without problems, because there is allways the case of conflicting dlls.

If your needs do not involve files larger than 2GB and having only to backup data files and software, you can live with FAT32 and keep InCD installed without ant problem.

DVD-RAM formatted as FAT32 will behave as a big floppy and you only need Explorer to dreag and drop files to the disc. During backups don’t worry about writting speed because it will work in the background as a normal HDD.

On UDF see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
Sometime ago there was a discussion on this topic in the forum, maybe it can be of any use to you. You can find it here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=166723

As you can read, there is a ref to UDF 2.01 not to 2.05 as I did indicate (you may understand, its dif to keep everything in fresh memory if you don’t use it)

To finnish, you are not the only one to complain about packet-writting software. My experiences with DVD+RW under InCD were not good ones, and the format was said to offer the same facilities as a “big floppy disc”.
Not the same with RAM up to now, and I use both FAT32 and UDF 2.0, what means that I aslo use InCD because I need to use the discs in a WIn2000 machine were I have it to use some CD-RWs.

Ooer time for something stronger I’m off for the whisky. :o :bigsmile:

So does it mean the Panasonic driver actually apply to every drive (since it can accept generic drive too)?
If I installed that driver, does it mean I can write/read/transfer files by drag-and-drop (or do I need to use burning software to burn this DVd-RAM)?

If your needs do not involve files larger than 2GB and having only to backup data files and software, you can live with FAT32 and keep InCD installed without ant problem.

Actually what’re the pros & cons between FAT32 and UDF?
It looks like UDF is better than FAT32.

DVD-RAM formatted as FAT32 will behave as a big floppy and you only need Explorer to dreag and drop files to the disc. During backups don’t worry about writting speed because it will work in the background as a normal HDD.

Yes!
If I were to burn DVD-/+R // DVD-/+RW, I have to get off the computer and wait. :wink:

As you can read, there is a ref to UDF 2.01 not to 2.05 as I did indicate ([B]you may understand, its dif to keep everything in fresh memory if you don’t use it[/B])

What do you mean by “ts dif to keep everything in fresh memory if you don’t use it”?

To finnish, you are not the only one to complain about packet-writting software. My experiences with DVD+RW under InCD were not good ones, and the format was said to offer the same facilities as a “big floppy disc”.
Not the same with RAM up to now, and I use both FAT32 and UDF 2.0, what means that I aslo use InCD because I need to use the discs in a WIn2000 machine were I have it to use some CD-RWs.

That’s why I don’t wish to use InCD.
Sometimes my disc couldn’t be read in another computer (or even in the same computer) even if the burn is successful. Strange?!

Hi

1. If you install the driver you can D&Drop to discs formatted according to the formats it supports, but just for DVD-RAM.
    For the RWs (CDs and DVDs) you’ll need packet wrotting software.
    You have a trde off and a decision to make about it.
    By the way, I’ve an old machine (win98SE) where I have Roxio’s WinOnCD and DirectCD packet w.
    application. I just took it out of startup and the Pana driver is working with no prob. I don’t know if you can do the same with InCD dlls.

2. One of the links I gave you points to a discussion around this UDF/FAT32 pros/cons.
    At the end, the important is if the one you choose meets your needs.

• Memory refers to “my” memory not a piece of computer hardware. You read about a subject and if you don’t make use of it, mother Nature did create a way to freed “space in your own memory” (sometimes better than MS…) and allow you to input new info. This is meant to avoid “No disc space availabe” messages from your brain…just that.
    • Not that strange as InCD can refuse to read discs burnt by it’s own prior versions.

Since InCD has reliability issues, Panasonic Driver seems to be the better option.
So only 1 question remains. Does this driver support my LiteOn well?

1. One of the links I gave you points to a discussion around this UDF/FAT32 pros/cons.
    At the end, the important is if the one you choose meets your needs.

I did read the thread, but the question remained.
From what I know, UDF seems to be a better version of FAT32.
I see no real benefits about FAT32 unless you are lazy. Speed imporvement in UDF, support over a 2GB file. What’s the point of getting FAT32? I must have missed something.
And how about UDF 1.5 and 2.0? Common sense should say 2.0 is better than 1.5, but is it true in fact? I just know UDF 2.0 is for videos. but does it mean UDF 2.0 is just for videos, nothing more? Or UDF 2.0 is for everything, especially videos?

• Memory refers to “my” memory not a piece of computer hardware. You read about a subject and if you don’t make use of it, mother Nature did create a way to freed “space in your own memory” (sometimes better than MS…) and allow you to input new info. This is meant to avoid “No disc space availabe” messages from your brain…just that.

Human memory is a very different thing. :cool:

Human memory has no fixed limit, unlike computer memory which you can only store, say 500GB, and no more. Although I don’t know if it is umlimited, it seems it never gets out of memory unless it becomes faulty when you aged. Human memory is expansible. You may always get more space as the time goes by. What’s more, it’s always free. :clap:

Another strange thing is: “The more you stuff, the larger your storage room is”. Don’t you think it’s incredible? :smiley: Your brain always knows how to clear more rooms for new stuff provided that you give enought time & efforts to him. :iagree:

However human memory is not reliable. Memory often get corrupt and you can’t read back what is stored some time ago. The data is always here, but buried deeply in somewhere. You need to scratch your head hard to figure out the hidden data :doh: , as if you search your room for your lost ring.

• Not that strange as InCD can refuse to read discs burnt by it’s own prior versions.

That’s the real pain!