DVD-Ram drives detected as CD roms! (HP DVD840e)

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD840e. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok first lets setup the situation. About a month ago my Liteon drive LH20A1H crapped out on me… how I dont know. It ejects and shows up fine in device manager however upon inserting a disc, the indicator light lights up for a half second then stops, and the drive does nothing too…

Now to the present, I’ve been using my external HP DVD840e (which i believe has an LG GSA-4661 drive). Today, it stopped reading DVD’s however, it still reads CD’s just fine… Also, while trying to update drivers, i notice it only allows me to install CD drivers… wtf is windows doing???

I’ve tried fixing the problem in both Windows7 and windows xp (Both 64bit version). The liteon drive i’m not upset cause any internal drive today only costs $25 max, but my external i use and rely on, not to mention is still expensive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

are there any error indicators in device manager?
Have you already tried if a bootable DVD still works?

Michael

So apparently Blank DVD+R’s work, as of now I may have gotten the problem down to dual layer dvd’s.

The 2 dvd’s i tried to play were “Taken” (a rental exclusive???) and “Death Race”. I’m going to try my miniature dvd collection to see what does and doesnt work.

You try to read blank DLs???

so it turns up my drive is incapable of reading DL dvd’s (either owned or rented nor can it read single layer dvds. However it plays burned DL and single layer dvd’s just fine…

How does a DVD drive simply stop detecting movies? (the burned disc i used was a copy of saw 2)

I’m pretty sure nothing has changed with DVD technology since that would make millions of players in households obsolete… so wtf?

Hi,

were these DL discs original manufacturer discs or were these copies on writeable media?
LG’s 4164/4166 drives weren’t known as long lasting, many of these drives went bad. So be prepared to replace this unit also. You may have a look if you can open it without any destruction, so you could just replace the internal drive and keep the enclosure.

Other options would be to open the drive and clean it carefully, including regreasing the rails.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2307152]Hi,

were these DL discs original manufacturer discs or were these copies on writeable media?
LG’s 4164/4166 drives weren’t known as long lasting, many of these drives went bad. So be prepared to replace this unit also. You may have a look if you can open it without any destruction, so you could just replace the internal drive and keep the enclosure.

Other options would be to open the drive and clean it carefully, including regreasing the rails.

Michael[/QUOTE]

these were original manufacturer discs. I tried everything from the first DVD i ever purchased (Titan A.e., Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) to the newest rentals out at blockbuster… the sad thing is the drive in my parents Dell dimension 8200 is still working fine even after 8 years… or however old it is.

I figured worst case scenario i would simply keep the enclosure and just buy 2 new drives to replace the ones i lost. Any ideas?

[QUOTE=raeglatem;2307264]these were original manufacturer discs. I tried everything from the first DVD i ever purchased (Titan A.e., Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) to the newest rentals out at blockbuster… the sad thing is the drive in my parents Dell dimension 8200 is still working fine even after 8 years… or however old it is.

I figured worst case scenario [B]i would simply keep the enclosure[/B] and just buy 2 new drives to replace the ones i lost. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I would try without them…

OK well quick question about enclosures (since i need one for my laptop) does the enclosure itself come with all the necessary hardware to connect via usb? i.e. (i connect the drive to the enclosure and that in turn connects to pc via usb?)

[QUOTE=raeglatem;2307751] does the enclosure itself come with all the necessary hardware to connect via usb?[/QUOTE]Normally, anything needed is included.
I personally would try the HP enclosure before buying a new one.

Michael