DVD-RAM driver 4.0.7.0 is out

Found these while snooping around Toshiba’s notebook drivers.
They work on any make of drive (not just Panasonic who’s drivers they are)
They are for both Win2k and XP, and have multi-language support.
Dates June 2005, these are the latest drivers I have seen.

This driver can be used to format DVD-RAM disks, it seems to do a better job than Windows/Nero formatting for me anyway.

The Download is big (64MB) so dialuppers beware.
If needed I can upload an english only version (~3MB) of both Win XP or 2K

Driver can be found here : http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/sl25dvdramx.exe

Enjoy.

Software Version

June 21, 2005

Driver Software
meiudf.sys - Ver 4.0.7.0
Format Software(DVDForm) - Ver 4.2.2.0
Write Protect Tool(WPTool) - Ver 1.1.5.0
RAM Assistance Tool(RAMASST) - Ver 1.1.0.0

Limitations on Driver Software for Windows XP

March 13, 2003

1. After formatting DVD-RAM disc with DVDForm software,
    there may be a possibility that DVD-RAM icon are changed to
    CD-ROM icon.
    At that case, select [Refresh] from [View] menu on Explorer.

2. Caution when using DVD-RAM disks in the DVD MULTI drive
    Data cannot be written onto a DVD-RAM disk while the function
    for writing data onto Windows XP standard CD-R/RW disks is
    enabled.
    A message appears when this function has been enabled so when
    using a DVD-RAM disk, heed the instruction given in this message
    by clearing “Enable CD recording on this drive”.

END

The above is Panasonic version 5.0.1.8.

There is also a newer driver 5.0.2.1 available here : http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/
BUT these are for Panasonic/Matsushita drives only.
These will need hacking to work with all drives.
But seeing the most important file is the same in both meiudf.sys=v4.0.7.0 it is not worth the bother of hacking it.

5.0.2.1 has these version numbers for files:

Software Version
Driver Software (meiudf.sys) Ver 4.0.7.0
Format Software (DVDForm) Ver 4.2.2.0
Write Protect Tool (WPTool) Ver 1.1.6.0
DVD-RAM Utility (DVDTool) Ver 1.1.3.0
RAM Assistance Tool (RAMASST) Ver 1.1.0.0

The Panasonic Version is only 3.8mb and works with other drives as long
as a Panasonic drive is installed. :smiley:

Update for the DVD-RAM Driver Software for Windows XP
(For DVD Multi drive model:
SW-9571,SW-9572,SW-9573,SW-9574,SW-9581,SW-9582,SW-9583,SW-9584,SW-9585,UJ-815,
UJ-825,UJ-835,UJ-845,UJ-846
Inquiry MATSHITA DVD-RAM only)
Sep. 9, 2005

Compatible operating system
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional

Contents of driver software (Support launguage: English)
Software

Version Driver Software (meiudf.sys) Ver 4.0.7.0
Format Software (DVDForm) Ver 4.2.2.0
Write Protect Tool (WPTool) Ver 1.1.6.0
DVD-RAM Utility (DVDTool) Ver 1.1.3.0
RAM Assistance Tool (RAMASST) Ver 1.1.0.0

How to check the version of current driver software

1. Open [Start] [Programs] [Panasonic DVD-RAM] [DVD-RAM Drive] [About Version]
  2. Check each software version. If the version is older than the one shown in the above, please update them.

How to Update

1. Download the driver software (3.8MB).
  2. Execute it.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
  4. Reboot the PC after the installation is completed.

For people with a Panasonic drive installed English Windows XP version;
http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/data/mkehp/docs/driver/XPDrv5021NEN.exe

OK Mr smartypants :bigsmile:
For those that don’t also have Pansonic drives I’ve uploaded an english only version.

Win XP is here ( 1.9MB) : http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/dvdram/DVD-RAM_XP_5.0.1.8.exe

Win 2K us here (2.5MB) : http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/dvdram/DVD-RAM_2K_5.0.1.8.exe

Uncompress then just run setup and your away.

Note that the read-me file in this package strongly recommends using only the default MS IDE controller driver. Sounds like good advice. :wink:

anyone hack the 5.0.2.1 version yet? Curious to see what this DVD-RAM Utility (DVDTool) 1.1.3.0 is plus I want the later version of Write Protect Tool 1.1.6.0 over 1.1.5.0. I like to have everything the latest and up to date.

BTW, this is working fine on my Pioneer 110 burner.

See this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113829&highlight=panasonic+drivers

The point of that being that there are detailed instructions in there telling you how to hack the driver yourself. Follow that and you can test the new version out without having to wait for someone to hack it for you.

Ok, I got curious too, so I installed 5.0.2.1. So far so good, except that DVDTool did not get installed. So I went to the setup files and ran it directly from there. It is a utility that has two options : Dust Check and Non-cartridge Disc Write Setting. Unfortunately, trying to use either of those gives me a ‘Selected drive is not compatible with the “Dust Check” function’ error. My guess is that it only works with Panasonic’s own drives. A dust check function would have been pretty cool though.

So there you are.

You are right karangguni the DVDTool wil only work with a Panasonic drive (as far as I know) so you can not use the dust check (unless I pull it out of the LG and shove it in the Panny drive) but you can use the WPTool (Write Protect Tool) to enable or disable write protect on a disk which is Exactly the same as Non-Cartridge Disk write Setting.

I found mention of my dvd-rw drive for the first time on panasonic’s site:
http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9574drvxp64.html

it’s the sw-9585. No one else carries the driver for it, that I’ve found, but there is a problem. I’m on Windows 2000 (pro).

Does anyone know what I should do??
does mobilenvidia’s driver apply to this drive? This is very frustrating. I reformatted and now I can’t use ANYTHING because all my drivers are on CD and the CD (the sw-9585 that I mentioned earlier) won’t read a damned thing. :a

anyhow. can someone tell me a bit of information about it?

You can find a Win2k DVD-RAM driver for your drive here :

http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9573drv2k.html

However, this driver is for writing to DVD-RAM discs. It has nothing to do with reading CDs. If you cannot read CDs with your drive, I doubt that installing this will be of any use.

thanks, karangguni. the problem, though is that that one is listed as an ‘update’ for the driver-- and i dont have one to begin with. the link i posted before has ‘updates’ for everything but the single XP driver. (note: i tried this, a little earlier, and was promptly informed that the driver to be updated was not found)

however, im kind of frustrated with this, now, so i’ll likely install my old plain CD reader. we’ll see then where the problem lies…
(lucky i have room for another internal drive!)

Here is a link to Panasonic’s entire list of drivers :

http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/en/down/

You should be able to find a driver for your drive there.

I still find it a bit odd that you need special drivers for your DVD-ROM drive to read CDs. Normally Win2k’s built in drivers should be capable of supporting that.

yeah, normally they should work… but for some reason, not this time. the drivers on this website are ‘updates’ for old drivers, and upon installing them, i am promptly informed that i have no driver to update.
since you last replied to me, i did a little bit of moving around. i unhooked my beloved dvd drive and popped the old cd drive back in, to no avail. it is at least recognized in device manager, though, and tells me that it wont work-- well: “This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)”

when i opened up the computer, i found a cord dangling from the dvd player, but it was only an audio cable. i plugged it back into the sound card, which also hadnt been recognized earlier. i then moved the sound card to a different slot, and upon restarting, the computer picked up this sound card (listed in device manager as “multimedia audio controller,”) but also can’t find a driver for THAT…

now, a huge problem that i have is the CD drive has no brand information, and neither does said sound card. jeez. in device manager, the cd drive is listed as “HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B,”* which i’m about to search around with, but i thought i’d drop back by here and mention all that happened.

wish me luck (again!)… bye!

*edit: by the way, i notice in this name it DOES say ‘cd-rw;’ and i find it quite odd that windows chose to call the drive this, as the old thing was never a cd burner at all.

That drive is an LG drive. HL DT ST stands for Hitachi LG Data Storage. However, before you go looking for a driver for it, I think there is something you should know.

All IDE CDROM drives and DVD writers should work with windows in built drivers. The manufacturers know this and so they do not provide any drivers for it. So, don’t waste your time looking for drivers. There are none available for download.

As I understand it, Windows uses a sort of generic IDE driver for CDROM and DVD drives. If it can’t load the driver, then Windows is essentially screwed up, because it can’t find it’s own component. Something has gone very wrong with your reinstall.

I hate to break it to you, but you might to redo that reinstall.

That drive is an LG drive. HL DT ST stands for Hitachi LG Data Storage. However, before you go looking for a driver for it, I think there is something you should know.

All IDE CDROM drives and DVD writers should work with windows in built drivers. The manufacturers know this and so they do not provide any drivers for it. So, don’t waste your time looking for drivers. There are none available for download.

As I understand it, Windows uses a sort of generic IDE driver for CDROM and DVD drives. If it can’t load the driver, then Windows is essentially screwed up, because it can’t find it’s own component. Something has gone very wrong with your reinstall.

Did you reinstall over an existing windows installation or format and start from scratch? I ask because installing over a pre-existing copy of windows often screws up in weird ways and may be the cause of this problem.

I hate to break it to you, but you might to redo that reinstall.

Lol, thanks, mate. Since I reinstalled only days ago, I haven’t gotten too comfortable anyway. thanks a lot for your help-- i’ll likely come back to this thread and say what happened, either way.

there have been a few other things that felt sort of like loose ends (like standard windows ‘troubleshoot’ bringing up a 404 error… :eek:)

thanks again! be back later days.

[QUOTE=karangguni;1188730]You can find a Win2k DVD-RAM driver for your drive here :

http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9573drv2k.html

However, this driver is for writing to DVD-RAM discs. It has nothing to do with reading CDs. If you cannot read CDs with your drive, I doubt that installing this will be of any use.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the necropost. Windows 2000 does not support UDF 2.01. With these Panasonic drivers CDs/DVDs burned with UDF 2.01 can be read.

greetings

(srry for the doublepost but i can’t edit my old post) Moderator note: fixed.

The latest UDP driver for XP/2K is v2.5. It can be downloaded here or found by searching for “Toshiba UDF 2.5 XP Driver”.

codecpack.co/download/Toshiba-UDF-XP-Driver.html

[B]File:[/B] thdudf.sys v1.0.0.3

greetings