DVD-Ram drive problems

vbimport

Hi.

I’ve run into a problem with my dvd drive. It’s worked absolutely fine for over a year until the other day I tried to watch a standard DVD. Instead of playing smoothly the playback was very stop start. Playing a few frames and a short burst of sound before playback would pause briefly every second or so.

I presumed it might be the DVD so I exchanged it for another. Same result. Since then I’ve tried various things. CD playback is better but tracks are skipping quite a lot. CD-R’s however are not even bieng recogised in the drive. When I put one in the drive will whir for a while and then simply stop.

I’m fearing the worst tbh but before I buy a replacement drive and advice?

The drive in question is a Matshita dvd-ram UJ-841s and I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro notebook.

Hi and Welcome!

Please check your DMA settings as shown in one of the “Read First” threads here.

Michael

Hi. Sorry I’ve read through the DMA read first thread and it didn’t match my settings. When I right click and select properties or the IDE Controller or even the DVD-RAM itself I do not have a tab to select either PIO or DMA. I simply get a plain grey tab called general with zero options.

Sounds like you may have Intel Application Accelerator or some other 3rd party driver running. You need to remove it if so.

Any tips on how? Or where I would need to look for this in order to remove it. As fair as I am aware I’ve not installed anything new recently.

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software.

Michael

Sorry but I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for? I keep installed software to a minimum and don’t really have a clue what it is I’m supposed to be looking for. Can you be any more specific?