DVD R85 firmware update to ff16k, won't record on 16x DVD+R

vbimport

I bought a DVD R85 recorder (used) back in 2005. It had an problem with recognizing disks, & it went back for repair. I believe it’s the infamous Philips R/W head issue.

Ever since then, it’s been working pretty well.

I tried some recording on Memorex 16x DVD+R discs, but it didn’t work. The firmware is ff13e.

I found a post at:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic321829.html

I followed the links for DVD R85/17 (USA model?) & downloaded the ff16k firmware:

I went through the process of upgrading the firmware

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&cat=DVD_HOME_THEATER_CA&sct=DVD_HARDDISK_RECORDERS_SU&session=20080215120402_72.25.100.70&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&ctn=DVDR75/17&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

I burned a CD using “Nero Burning ROM”. The R85 didn’t take the disk. Then, I had to delete the CPRIGHT.txt file…it took the disk (as per the FAQ, some customers found this was the trick).

The R85 upgraded the firmware to ff16k. However, it won’t burn the 16x Memorex DVD+R disk (it has the white coating for “writing”). Specifically, after 5 secs of recording the image just “freezes”. No recording shows up in the disk menu.
[ before the upgrade it would record for 2 min, 10 min, etc…but nothing would appear in the disk menu ]

?? What’s going on?

I have another DVD recorder, the Philips HDRW 720. A 16x Memorex disk records fine there, & it will play on the DVD R85.

Is the DVD R85 just too old, & Philips doesn’t have an upgrade to use the 16x disks?

You say it’s a Philips DVDR [B][U]8[/U][/B]5 several times in the post, but have upgraded using a firmware for the DVDR [B][U]7[/U][/B]5?

I have never heard of a DVDR85… :confused: I’m wondering if you mean 985 or 75 possibly? BTW there is a sticky thread on firmware upgrades and downgrades on this forum; see here

Where discs are concerned, Memorex brand can be rubbish and it’s probably that the more recently manufactured HDRW720 has better OPU than the older machine. To be honest for that DVDR 85/75 or whatever: get some Verbatim +RW discs rated at 1-4x, and just make copies of the recordings onto +R high speed discs on your PC. I have an old DVDR880 which was repaired twice and it’s working well with new Verbatim +RWs.

Edit: I see in this post that you are referring to a DVDR 75 which was repaired. Is that the same one as above?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2000788]You say it’s a Philips DVDR [B][U]8[/U][/B]5 several times in the post, but have upgraded using a firmware for the DVDR [B][U]7[/U][/B]5?

I have never heard of a DVDR85… :confused: I’m wondering if you mean 985 or 75 possibly? BTW there is a sticky thread on firmware upgrades and downgrades on this forum; see here

Where discs are concerned, Memorex brand can be rubbish and it’s probably that the more recently manufactured HDRW720 has better OPU than the older machine. To be honest for that DVDR 85/75 or whatever: get some Verbatim +RW discs rated at 1-4x, and just make copies of the recordings onto +R high speed discs on your PC. I have an old DVDR880 which was repaired twice and it’s working well with new Verbatim +RWs.

Edit: I see in this post that you are referring to a DVDR 75 which was repaired. Is that the same one as above?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant DVD R75. sorry about that.

I realized my previous disks were Maxell DVD+R (8x), & they worked fine. So, maybe it could be a disk brand issue (Memorex doesn’t cut it).

By using RW & burning to fast R on a PC, do you imply that a desktop PC equipped with 2 DVD drives? I’m a Mac person (2 Mac desktops), & only have a PC laptop

I went to Office Depot & bought Office Depot 16x DVD +R disks. Same problem, won’t record (after 5 secs of recording, the image freezes, DVD recorder turns off).

Who makes Office Depot DVD +R disks? They kinda look like my Maxell disks.

I didn’t see any 8x DVD disks for sale. That seems to be a workaround, to get some older disks. Or, is this impossible?

With an older machine like the DVDR 75, it will be very much trial and error as to what [B][I]brand[/I][/B] of discs will work. This is because companies like Memorex use different disc [B][I]manufacturer’s[/I][/B] discs and recording dye types, some of which are quite poor quality, but print them up as if they were all the same. An exception is Verbatim, who are one of the few brands to consistently use very good dye types, and which is why we recommend them.

What matters to the optical pickup unit (OPU) of the recorder is the dye type, and not manufacturer, and hence you can get a better success rate if you purchase by this criterion. Can you download and install CD-DVD Speed on your laptop, and start it up (doesn’t need installing). Then put a disc in the drive and look at the information under the ‘Disc Info’ tab. There will be a line for Media ID, and if you could get the info for the discs which work and those which don’t, it would be a good start.

As for the speed-rating of the discs, I think ff16k updated the firmware to handle 4x discs, so anything higher than that will be pushing it. Remember the recorder is always going to be recording at 1x, so if you’ve had success with 8x discs then that’s pretty good. I doubt whether you’ll be able to find good quality +R discs rated at 4x, which is why I suggested using 1-4x rated +RWs and making a copy.

No problem if you have Macs: you can probably use Toast to make a copy from a +RW to +R. In fact there are some advantages to doing this: all the manually-entered edits and chapter marks on the +RW will be preserved on the new +R - something that doesn’t happen when making them directly on the +R.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2001134]With an older machine like the DVDR 75, it will be very much trial and error as to what [B][I]brand[/I][/B] of discs will work. This is because companies like Memorex use different disc [B][I]manufacturer’s[/I][/B] discs and recording dye types, some of which are quite poor quality, but print them up as if they were all the same. An exception is Verbatim, who are one of the few brands to consistently use very good dye types, and which is why we recommend them.

What matters to the optical pickup unit (OPU) of the recorder is the dye type, and not manufacturer, and hence you can get a better success rate if you purchase by this criterion. Can you download and install CD-DVD Speed on your laptop, and start it up (doesn’t need installing). Then put a disc in the drive and look at the information under the ‘Disc Info’ tab. There will be a line for Media ID, and if you could get the info for the discs which work and those which don’t, it would be a good start.

As for the speed-rating of the discs, I think ff16k updated the firmware to handle 4x discs, so anything higher than that will be pushing it. Remember the recorder is always going to be recording at 1x, so if you’ve had success with 8x discs then that’s pretty good. I doubt whether you’ll be able to find good quality +R discs rated at 4x, which is why I suggested using 1-4x rated +RWs and making a copy.

No problem if you have Macs: you can probably use Toast to make a copy from a +RW to +R. In fact there are some advantages to doing this: all the manually-entered edits and chapter marks on the +RW will be preserved on the new +R - something that doesn’t happen when making them directly on the +R.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing, the 16x Memorex DVD +R disc records fine in my other Philips DVD recorder…HDRW 720 (circa 2005 machine, it’s HDD). When I put this disc in the DVD R75, it shows “empty disk”…??

I missed a deal today @Office Max…100 spindle of Verbatim 16x DVD +R for $19.99 (sale ended today). It’s possible I can get it tomorrow.

Tomorrow @Office Depot, 50 pack of Maxell 16x DVD +R is going on sale for 11.99 so maybe this would be a solution. I.e., like you say, my DVDR 75 machine is brand finicky & likes Maxell disks.

If you don’t understand what I wrote about brand names [I]versus[/I] dye types, and new [I]versus[/I] old optical pickups in the two machines, then you’ll indeed have to use trial and error. However there’s only a small chance that any brand of 16x discs will work in your 75 (whether Maxell or not).

Good luck.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2001817]If you don’t understand what I wrote about brand names [I]versus[/I] dye types, and new [I]versus[/I] old optical pickups in the two machines, then you’ll indeed have to use trial and error. However there’s only a small chance that any brand of 16x discs will work in your 75 (whether Maxell or not).

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the Maxell 16x DVD+R didn’t work…same problem.

Officemax special ordered the Verbatim 16x DVD+R yesterday, I pick them up tomorrow. Hopefully, what you said about their superior dye types will yield a successful result.

I saw TDK brand at Officemax, what is the word on this brand?

Worse Case scenario:

I don’t think I can live with recording on DVD +RW, & then copying them to 16x DVD +R on my desktop (Mac). Probably less hassle to just pay for a new machine. Any recommendations for a good DVD recorder?

Just got the Verbatim 16x DVD+R disks.

Unfortunately, same problem…DVD R85 refuses to record on it.

I get the feeling the DVD R85 is going to be a useless paperweight.