DVD+R Yes / DVD-R No...Why?

vbimport

Greeting!
Just bought a Mad Dog 16x external burner. I downloaded (and bought) a bundle package software that contained AnyDVD, and Clone DVD.
My first attempt to burn a DVD resulted in all of the following errors: 10 11 W2, media write error, please install recordable media…etc). I was using a Memorex DVD-R blank disc. Next, I tried a Maxell DVD+R disc and everything worked just fine. The burned copy was perfect.

After some investigation, I learned that other people were having problems with Memorex media when used with Mad Dog drives. I also looked at the compatibility chart on the MD site, and Memorex was not listed as a recommended disc. Ah, I thought my problem was solved. I went out and bought some Fuji DVD-R’s expecting that I my problem was related to Mad Dog and Memorex not being compatible, but nooo…I was unable to write to the Fuji DVD-R disc’s either.

So here’s my question, why will my combination of AnyDVD, CloneDVD, and MAD Dog drive write to a DVD+R disc, but NOT to a DVD-R disc? What am I missing? Is there a setting that I’ve over looked? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

So here’s my question, why will my combination of AnyDVD, CloneDVD, and MAD Dog drive write to a DVD+R disc, but NOT to a DVD-R disc? What am I missing? Is there a setting that I’ve over looked?

I don’t think it is a combination of the 3 that is the problem. Before you decide if is just that combination, maybe you should try and burn with some other software. You can try and back-up some information off of your harddrive with the -R’s to see if it is working properly

Certain drives tend to be weaker or stronger with certain media types (+R, -R) and even brands. I have little problem with using any +R media, but I have to stick to specific brands of -R media.

I will try that. Thank you!

Hamp, would I use a DVD disc to back up info from hard drive?
-g

Yes, you would also use the same disc that you are talking about…

Thats what the Blank DVD’s are really for, for data, they were not really made to make back-up of movies

I dont have an axe to grind in the +R or -R debate but I will say this as far as I am concerned Memorex media is crap regardless what burner you put it in.

You can start a DVD+R/-R debate, because the “cheap” +R media is usually of higher quality (usually Ricoh made) than cheap -R media, because there are much less chinese / taiwanese +R media manufacturers. Even the +R Memorex are quite good… :slight_smile:

I have a preference for +R media and have never used -R but I tend to stay away from Memorex of any kind because of all the headaches their CDR media caused me.

I really don’t have an “axe to grind” with either the + or the - media. I’m just curious why I’m able to write to one, and not the other. The other reason that I’d like to be able to write to -R’s is because one of the DVD players that I have and only play DVD-R’s, plus it has a zoom feature. The other DVD player that I have will play both +/-, but has no zoom. Normally when I rent a movie it’s in letterbox format. I got use to zooming slightly to reduce bars at top and bottom of screen. I figure if I’m going to burn movies, I’d like to be able to watch them in the player with zoom.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions, still looking for a solution. Please keep inputs coming. Thanks to all! -Gary

I really don’t have an “axe to grind” with either the + or the - media.

I’m not sure that that means? but if you are having problems, you will have to test, to narrow down the problem…

it is just possible your burner will not burn -R’s, possible defect, I don’t believe the combination of AnyDVD, CloneDVD is the problem

Since you are not having any trouble burning the +R media, why not just change the booktype of the +Rs to read as ROMs so they will work in both players?

Does is burner have Bit-setting?

Hamp, I’m not sure, how do I tell? It’s a Mad Dog MegaSTOR 7 in 1 16x DL DVD +/-R, +/-RW. I guess it’s supposed to be a decent burner? Assuming it has bit setting, what would you have me to do or change? My thanks to all! -g

Hopefully this will solve his problems.

Visit the NEC hardware forum for more info on this drive. There are many firmwares available for this particular drive. MadDog is just a rebadged NEC drive. Enjoy!

Mad Dog firmware does support DVD+R to DVD-ROM bitsetting.

I am having the same problem. i even went out and bought different kinds of DVD-Rs and it still won’t recognize it for some reason. I had no problem before and suddenly it changed. Any suggestions?

You’re problem is the media you used, as is the case in most situations. The following media is pure cr*p, don’t use them:

Memorex (any),
Teon (any),
Legacy (any),

One’s that work:
Sony, Maxell, TDK.

Cheap DVDs that work: Ri-Tek (a newegg.com brand), and believe it or not the Staples DVD+R are also cheap and work great!

Hope that helps. Sometimes DVDs can also have problems if improperly stored over a long period of time too.
:smiley:

Well i have been using memorex all along. But then I tried to use Fuji and it rejected that too? Could it still be the media?