DVD+R vs DVD-R again

vbimport

In general, will home movies burnt to DVD+R or DVD-R have wider compatibility with standalone DVD players? I notice that generally software that allows you to burn directly to DVD from captured Mini DV tape footage (BenQ Q-Video, Nero) only works with DVD+R. Not sure if this is relevant.

Newer players are more liklly to play all of them so this applys more to older players (thought it still applys to some newer players). Dvd+r is the least compatible, dvd-r is in the middle, dvd+r that has been bitset (so that it identifies itself as a dvd-rom) is the most compatible. Nero should let you bitset (if your drive is capable). I’m just guessing here but benq drives can bitset so I would guess that thier software would be compatible with it. If your drive is a benq, someone corect me if I am wronge here, but thier firmware is usally factory set to bitsetting with +r’s (at least it has been that way with the few drives I have dealt with).

Im a bit of a DVD burning newbie for sure. Although I have read various remarks concerning the DVD+R vs DVD-R debate and its very hard to get a hard factual opinion anywhere.

I just bought a stack of 50 DVD-R’s and managed to get a refund :slight_smile: luckily :slight_smile: because they would burn then not play in the PC or stand alone.
I have been using DVD+RW’s and no probs on PC player but after re-writing discs wont play too well on standalone.

So I’m gonna go and grab some DVD+R’s and test them out cuz the DVD-R’s I had were rubbish.

I burn only DVD+R, Ricoh Burner can set to booktype DVD-ROM
(using DvdInfo) and is compatable with XBOX (Samsung), magnavox, and old Philips DVD Player.
CW

You can get the BenQ booktype tool here and confirm your settings.

http://www.benq-eu.com/serviceandsupport/downloads/downloads.cfm?product=724

I have a Benq DW1640 so I think I can bitset as described above, but I’ll check it out. Thanks.

keep in mind that “Most” newer players will play either + or -. However, if you don’t burn them properly it doesn’t matter what type you have. I have been burning dvd’s for a few years now, and have seen the - r to be more compatible. I have also read that +r bitset to - rom are more compatible, and I have seen this once. I also have seen a set-top dvd player at my sister’s that would play some of the disc’s, and then pixelate through anything after about 20 minutes. Then a year later, and I am only burning 8x disc’s (probably better quality also), and her player plays the discs just fine. I have seen this with the dvd player in the mini-van also. So as with older players the rule might best be summed up with: bitset + r’s first then -r’s after that, then +r’s last. Most older players will not touch any rw disc. With newer players they will play + and - almost equally, and some will play a +rw, and some will play a - rw. I have NEVER seen a set top player that plays a + but won’t play a -. I have seen quite a few times players that won’t touch a + but will play a -… BUT most important is the burn method, and the media. I have used a video program to burn a disc that won’t play in some players, and I took the same files, and made an image with DVD Shrink, and burned it with Decrypter and it would play just fine. Good luck and don’t forget to check out the set top player compatibility over at www.dvdhelp.com
Hope this helps.

That pixellation problem has nothing to do with compatibility per se. It has to do with the quality of the player and/or the quality of the DVD burn. An incompatible disc format will just not play. If I play unbitset DVD+R in my brother-in-law’s Toshiba player, it just fails to play at all. A DVD-R or bitset DVD+R plays normally. Problems later in the disc have to do with the player’s inability to read the disc, which is independent of the +/- thing.

Thanks. Something I have picked up here, it seems that manually choosing to burn very slowly does a better job (the slower the better). Is this a general truism in DVD burning?

Thanks. Something I have picked up here, it seems that manually choosing to burn very slowly does a better job (the slower the better). Is this a general truism in DVD burning?

To a certain extent…Some of it depends on media also. Some media does not burn well if burned too slow under recommended speed. (some Riteks for example)

wish it were that easy. My experience with several 16 X drives is that buring 8X quality media (tayio Yuden) at 8X or 12 X gives much better results than at lower speeds. Several 16X discs that I have tried burn better at 16 X thna at 8X.

You need to find the best combination of (a) disk (b) speed © burn program (d)
writer … change any one and you get different results

its the old betamax vs vhs saga :doh: without a doubt +r discs are superior in the way they record the info but they have compatibility problems with older players (and some newer ,though most new players will play them now) dvd-r is the most compatible disc at he moment imho so stick with a good -r disc and you wont go far wrong :iagree:

Why don’t you buy + media and booktype it to DVD-Rom and you will have the best of both worlds.