DVD-R Turns into CD-R in Windows/Can\'t Be Read After Burn ( GH22NS)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GH22NS Super Multi DVD RW. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Have a very strange things going on here. I used IMG BURN to burn on a Ritek DVD-R disc. It burned fine, said it was 100% complete, but when I went to play it, it said either no disc was inserted or that Windows doesn’t support that kind of formatting. I tried to play it in standalone DVD player and it said NO DISC.
What I noticed is normally my LG GH22NS30 shows up as DVD-RAM in Windows Explorer when a blank disk is in there or if it’s not blank and something is on there, it will show up as, say, MY SLIDESHOW or whatever it was named. What’s happening with these discs is when I put it in my drive BLANK and it loads it, it shows up in Windows Explorer as CD-ROM drive. Very strange. When I try to explore it, it tells me Windows can’t read the data. Again, I’m using img burn. When I burn it, it gets to 100% success, but again, not supported by windows when I go to play it back and Explorer just changes the ID after the drive to E:CD-ROM instead of DVD-RAM or whatever it usually says.
Is there a setting that has to be enabled to kind of close out the disc to make it readable?
I tried using one in Roxio and it finished and could be read, but it took foreverrrrrrrr to burn it. :sad: That makes me think it’s something in IMG BURN.
Any ideas?

Thanks! :slight_smile:
Gina

Put tis disc into the bin.

Burned successfully means kinda nothing, not even that its readable after…

If you burn and verify ok, windows should be able to read it.

It might just need a swift kick to actually see that the disc content has been changed. Close ImgBurn, eject + reinsert the disc and it should work fine. If AutoPlay isn’t enabled / running then the OS has even less chance of knowing the disc is now readable.

Thanks, Lightning UK! Just noticed you’ret he author of DVD Decrypter and ImgBurn. Congrats on two very successful programs!!
Quick question with these dvd-r discs. What is the difference between those and the + discs other than the plus discs are user and you can booktype them? if a player can play a dvd+r, can you assume it can play a dvd-r? And for ones that will NOT play dvd+r, is it worth a try to use a minus disc? I’ve heard that will usually work on older standalone players, which is what initially brought me to this question. benefits of either one? do you think if it wouldn’t play any plus discs that it will play a minus disk?
Thanks so much for your help! Yo is da man! LOL
Gina
Chicago IL

I believe DVD-R came out slightly before DVD+R. As such, even the oldest of players should support DVD-R when they don’t support DVD+R (unless they really do only support DVD-ROM).

As for if a player that won’t play DVD+R (when booktyped to DVD-ROM) will play DVD-R… that’s something you’d have to test and find out for yourself. It’s always worth trying both.

Right on, first came DVD-RAM, then DVD-R, then DVD-RW, then DVD+RW and after a while DVD+R …

Is it somewhat safe to assume then that most all DVD players will play DVD-R since it was kind of the beginning of the technology?:confused:

Most of all actual dvd players, yes.

Then why is DVD+R so much more popular? Also, this brings me back to part of the original question: What is the difference between the two, DVD-R and DVD+R other than, one, DVD-R was created first and now, two, DVD-R is more compatible with standalone DVD players?
So why all the hype about DVD+R? Is it more reliable maybe? What about for pure data storage?
Thanks for your insight into all of this. I appreciate it :iagree:

Another question: If you go disc to disc copy from a DVD+R disc that is booktyped to DVD-ROM to a DVD-R disc, does it copy the bitsetting onto the DVD-R like it is burned on the DVD+R or will it not even play because it’s going from plus to minus media?
I should post this in a new thread maybe cuz I “thinks it be” a logical question that others might learn from :iagree::iagree:

Bitsetting does not exist for DVD-R!

Please read the sticky posts.

I know that bitsetting does not exist for DVD-R, obviously. What I was asking is if you burn straight disc to disc copy from a DVD+R disc that is bitset to DVD-ROM and burn to DVD-R, does it copy it exactly like it is on the DVD+R disc with the bitsetting per se logically (I know you can’t bitset a DVD-R but that’s not what I’m asking). I’m asking IF you try to do that, will the disc not play because of the physical way it’s burned from DVD+/DVD-ROM to DVD-R? In other words, can I do it and have it play in a standalone or am I going to get a disc error/read error?

[QUOTE=gina4xoxoxo;2231619][B]I know that bitsetting does not exist for DVD-R, obviously.[/B] What I was asking is if you burn straight disc to disc copy from a DVD+R disc that is bitset to DVD-ROM and burn to DVD-R, does it copy it exactly like it is on the DVD+R disc with the bitsetting per se logically (I know you can’t bitset a DVD-R but that’s not what I’m asking). I’m asking IF you try to do that, will the disc not play because of the physical way it’s burned from DVD+/DVD-ROM to DVD-R? In other words, can I do it and have it play in a standalone or am I going to get a disc error/read error?[/QUOTE]

It seems that you don’t know what you are writing here…

All your suggestions are useless, really.

Your crap media and your player are the only problems, Period.

[QUOTE=chef;2232038]It seems that you don’t know what you are writing here…

All your suggestions are useless, really.

Your crap media and your player are the only problems, Period.[/QUOTE]

WOW! You’re so helpful. Isn’t this a help forum??? :doh:
I know exactly what I’m asking. You’re just not answering it. Maybe I can say it another way that makes it easier to understand.
Obviously a + disc is physically not the same as a - disc. If they were exactly the same, there wouldn’t be both. So what I’m asking is can you go disc to disc from one to the other or does the physical makeup of the actual disc and the way info is written to it not allow it to write properly REGARDLESS of whether it’s booktyped or not. That’s all I’m asking. Then I mentioned the fact that I didn’t think it would be possible since a minus disc CANNOT be booktyped; therefore, if you try to make an exact copy, almost like an ISO, is it safe to assume that you can’t moved those bitset bits exactly the same onto the opposite disc. I don’t know if I’m explaining this right.
BTW, I don’t think my burner or media are crap. I use VB and a Pioneer.

You have no idea, you even perform crossposting on a regular basis.

[B]Crossposting is forbidden by the forum rules.[/B]

I do? I mentioned one of my questions in another post that pertained to the same post and I also asked the question on a totally different forum because I wasn’t getting a reply. Regular basis? I just joined.

Wow, this is a VERY unfriendly forum. I’m sorry I joined. Don’t forget, we all started somewhere. I don’t think my question is an illogical question, obviously since you still can’t answer it directly other than saying DVD-R can’t be bitset, which is not my question.

I don’t have time for rudeness and ignorance.

chef gets a lot of bashing on CDF’s but you people have to realize that he and some of us are busy. Plus we don’t get payed to answer questions. Some people don’t want to search for answers and are just to lazy. They want us to do it for them.

Not necessarily your question but many of the same questions are posted here many times daily.

This post was just a generalization and not directed towards you.

It’s very frustrating to come here and offer help and advice and none of it is taken. Why do people come here looking for help and don’t take our advice? or say our advice is no good is beyond me.

Just for informational purposes a DVD-R has more space than a DVD+R disc (not much but some). It is possible to try to copy a -R to a +R and the file(s) on a -R need to be shrunk down to fit on +R media.

Thank you, Bob. That helps a lot.
Trust me when I say I research first. I just couldn’t find anything that dealt exactly with that, and that is why I asked.
Thanks for your help.
I understand not getting paid to help. I offer tech support on three sites/boards and it’s very frustrating.

[QUOTE=gina4xoxoxo;2232337]Thank you, Bob. That helps a lot.
Trust me when I say I research first. I just couldn’t find anything that dealt exactly with that, and that is why I asked.
Thanks for your help.
I understand not getting paid to help. I offer tech support on three sites/boards and it’s very frustrating.[/QUOTE]no problem and yes it is very frustrating. Not being there and trying to find the exact problem is very hard to do with all the different setups (hardware) and OS’s people use.

Plus there is a language barrier here. This is a world wide forum. English is not the native language here. For instance chef is German.