DVD -R to +R copying

I was wondering if you have to use nero i dislike it i got a maddogmm external dvd writer and the oem suite messed up the other nero and i see in this forum a thing about nero and incd is that 2 diffrent programs and how can i shut that off also the new dvd w says i can copy -rs to +rs you think??
ihave enjoyed dvd shrink for years now i have problems what is the best burning software other then nero and the shrink program pc is xp Any help would be apper. Pat

I AM Returning Maddog as adviced Looking at liteon shw 160p6su says dvd_

• r -rw dvd+r =rw cd - cd rw ect What i want to do with this external writer is take my family vhs that i put on dvd-r and invert them to dvd=r is this possiby the equitment when i bought it vhs to dvd i had no clue about
    +r -r my pc copies only +rs most family dvd players wont read them if any has any sugg i sure would app. the knowledge Pat

not sure about externals, but you did step 1 right, dump the Maddog…the company is horrible, products poor, and limited or zero support.(COMPLETELY contrary to what they advertise)…right up there with the current, or probably by now, defunct Go-Video company.

i posted some like this in the wrong area sorry got rid of naddog as adived what about liteon SHW160P6SU EZ DUB eays dvd - + r cd - rs etc WHAT I WANT TO DO IS TAKE THE VHS TAPES I PUT ON DVD-R THESE ARE FAMILY TAPES XMAS ETC NOTHING COPYWROTE I BOUGHT BLANK TAPES USED CAMCORDED IN 1994 THE VHS TO DVD MACHINE sony ONLY USES-R I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT + - MY NEW PC ONLY READS + R I WANT TO COPY THE-R TO + R SO THE KIDS CAN HAVE THEM MOST OF THERE DVD PLAYERS WONT READ THE -Rs ALSO SO I DONT BOTHER U AGAIN THE NEXT QUES WILL BE WHAT SOFTWARE HAVE DVD SHRINK AND NERO UNLESS I DELETED IT :confused: Thanks a lot Pat

Pat, I see you have the same question open on the DVD Fab forum.

I appreciate your difficulties from the “Say Hi…” thread, but we can’t allow another two threads open on your same question. It’s very difficult to get the replies together and is really frustrating for other members trying to help.

Since you have replies to your other questions there, I will close this thread for the time being and direct all replies there:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1559221

In the meantime I’ll ask for that thread in the DVD Fab forum to be transferred up here, because it doesn’t belong there really.

Nero 6 releases okay, and I think in general less invasive, and better product support than Roxio…have heard issues though with 7. My comment on the mad dog burner, replace it. Only talking from experience, horrible product support, and hardware not very good - mine(internal) died quickly. Have both a liteon 1213 and 1293, and have been flawless. Back in the day I was mad at software, and was the hardware all along… :wink:

As always, solid advice from larry…
one more thing to add…
Get rid of InCD! It is packet writing software and is notorious for causing all kinds of conflicts/trouble.

Thank you I uninstalled the madd and i think all my drive letters are fixed got dvdidle and fix something or other and have dvd fab dec and nero and dvd shrink but when i try to back up u 93 it anl then i hit backup then the next sreen then dvd shrink is gone and does dvdidil do anything you see or all in back ground I Hope I am Not A Pain
Again Thanks Pat

Got Rid OF IT MADDOG ! What ABout LITEON SHW160P6SU EZ DUB ?
I want to take transfered VHS family tapes Xmas etc that are on DVD -R and reput them on DVD +R as the mach I bought copies the VHS tapes only to -Rs. At that time i didnt know.

So got new pc it only reads copys +rs. What heck do i need other than all family members buying better players? VHS will be like 8-tracks to my grand kids; honestly that isnt right my kids dont recall the 8-tracks…

Any i think u get my pics thank you pat

@pat1788:
Some very old standalone players will only recognize DVD-ROM and DVD-R. Players that are about 3 years old and newer can also recognize DVD+R.
Most folks that burn DVD’s have burners (and software) to set the ‘booktype’ (also called ‘bitsetting’) of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM. Examples of, but not limited to, burners are Plextor and LiteOn. Note: you are not supposed to set the booktype of DVD-R media.
Poor quality media can also be the cause of a DVD player to not recognize media, as well as a poorly authored DVD.

If the DVD you authored from VHS tape is on DVD-R and the DVD plays fine on your standalone player, all you have to do is copy the DVD with nero and burn it to your LiteOn using DVD+R media.

Here is a link to see what your DVD player is capable of recognizing (-R, +R, RW): http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.

Poor media is also to be avoided:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Converting (called capturing) VHS to DVD is easy if you have the correct euipment and software. Unfortunately, there is a lot of cheap, bogus general consumer equipment, that does not work. I use a Canopus ADVC-50 (now replaced by ADVC-55) to capture VHS, adn BETA tapes. It works flawlessly, does not drop frames, even with a tape that has a lot of noise.

Kindest Regards.

Thank you I Went out and picked up the hp super muilti media dvd writer recordes all dvd formats incoulding dvd ram If Not good tell me i will take it back 4 the liteon is was cheaper anyway I do not have any idea about converting etc i tried last nite after reading your post i just can understand it ,the authuring ect is there a book or something more step by step Thank you Pat

Give yourself a chance and try to practice none complicated burning and copying before you get to very complex authuring that way you get to know and understand the process in more meaningful way.

[QUOTE=gary172;1559304]@pat1788:
Some very old standalone players will only recognize DVD-ROM and DVD-R. Players that are about 3 years old and newer can also recognize DVD+R.
Most folks that burn DVD’s have burners (and software) to set the ‘booktype’ (also called ‘bitsetting’) of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM. Examples of, but not limited to, burners are Plextor and LiteOn. Note: you are not supposed to set the booktype of DVD-R media.
Poor quality media can also be the cause of a DVD player to not recognize media, as well as a poorly authored DVD.

If the DVD you authored from VHS tape is on DVD-R and the DVD plays fine on your standalone player, all you have to do is copy the DVD with nero and burn it to your LiteOn using DVD+R media.

Here is a link to see what your DVD player is capable of recognizing (-R, +R, RW): http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.

Poor media is also to be avoided:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Converting (called capturing) VHS to DVD is easy if you have the correct euipment and software. Unfortunately, there is a lot of cheap, bogus general consumer equipment, that does not work. I use a Canopus ADVC-50 (now replaced by ADVC-55) to capture VHS, adn BETA tapes. It works flawlessly, does not drop frames, even with a tape that has a lot of noise.

Kindest Regards.[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Does Lite-On come with the software to Booktype the drive. Because I do not want to mess up and brick it. Right now I am looking at the Lite-On SHW-160P6SU EZ-DUB DVD Burner.

I am open to other burners also. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

You can (and probably should) use a program called ImgBurn to copy your DVD-R to DVD+R. ImgBurn will allow you to bitset any drive that is capable of it. There are, I’m sure, many guides on how to do it. ‘Search’ is your friend

In case the size of the content on the DVD-R is bigger than 4482mb, you have to transcode (video) or reduce (data) the size of the image.