DVD+R TDK PI-Failure media 130! what's wrong?

Hi, I’ve some trouble with TDK DVD+R “extra fine matt photo inkjet printable” :rolleyes: on my Asus DRW 2014L1T (v1.02)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:TDK-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TDK]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

SpeedDisk gives me the worst result I’ve never seen!!! :eek:

What can be wrong? Help me, please! :bow:

Try a transfer rate test and post the result :wink:

Is the Asus drive a meaningful scanner? If not, then the scan is not meaningful.

Try performing a Transfer Rate Test as Womi suggested. If the Transfer Rate Test is good, then I suggest ignoring quality scanning on this drive.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Great forum, indeed! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried twice to test but… discspeed can’t complete the scan for some obscure reason :doh:
Here is the result…

I’ve tried with a different dvd (e.g verbatim) and the graph is “normal” :confused:
your help will be appreciated :bow::bow::bow:
Thanks in advance! :smiley:

other test… same result! :eek:

important information:
I’ve TWO asus 2014l1T installed on my system and I test TDK disk in either drives…

Yeah that’s what I’d call an extremely bad burn. It seems to be almost unreadable.

I agree! :wink:
Burning a piece of wood should to get better results!!! :bigsmile:

Maybe it’s a fake? Not TDK? :eek:

Is this just a singular case or do you get results like this every time you burn discs from this pack of TDK 16x DVD+R ?

Are these actually branded as TDK media, or did you buy them under another brand?

Have you tried burning one of these discs in another burner and scanning the burned disc?

Have you tried burning any other DVD media in your Asus burner after you got this terrible result, and how was the result?

My questions are intended to figure out if the drive or the media is to blame.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141469]Is this just a singular case or do you get results like this every time you burn discs from this pack of TDK 16x DVD+R ?[/QUOTE]

I’ve tested 8 of these disks from the same spindle:
TDK DVD+R 16x (@ 4x, 8x, 16x using either the asus burners) and result is still PI-failure media = 130…140

Yesterday I’ve deleted the system partition and installed Windows; this is the test of TDK DVD+R 16x @ 16x on asus burner

PI-failure media = 130…140 again!!! :frowning:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141469]Are these actually branded as TDK media, or did you buy them under another brand?[/QUOTE]

The spindle is branded TDK

Dvd is printable, here the detail:

…and the rear detail (DVD+R 5610C2)

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141469] Have you tried burning one of these discs in another burner and scanning the burned disc? [/QUOTE]

I’ve burned n°1 TDK DVD+R @16x using a Samsung SH-S182D (fw SB07) installed on another pc:

Here is the quality test on Asus (Samsung don’t perform the test)

Reading test on Asus

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2141469]Have you tried burning any other DVD media in your Asus burner after you got this terrible result, and how was the result?[/QUOTE]

yes, I’ve tested these:

n°2 TDK DVD-R 16x (MID: TTH02) @ 8x : PI-Failure media > 52 it’s bad :frowning: but… it’s better! :rolleyes:

n°2 Verbatim DVD-R 16x (MID: MCC 03RG20) @8x : PI-Failure media = 0.07 :clap: :slight_smile:

n°1 Ricoh DL MID:RICOHJPN D01 067 (43h) @ 8x : PI-Failure media = 0.04 great performance! :bigsmile: :iagree:

My questions are intended to figure out if the drive or the media is to blame.

Please note that TDK DVD-R gets very poor performance…

I’ve bought 3 TDK spindle e NO ONE of other brands, of course!!! :bigsmile:

I’m sorry to say it, but.
Crap burner + crap media = crap results.

My first instinct is to say the Asus drive is useless, for example on the Verbatim’s PIF graph, there is no reason you should be getting rates that high. In short, your drive(s) don’t seem to be much good at burning Single Layer media and you should try using something else for that purpose.

You say you have a Samsung drive - you actually can use it for scanning but you’ve got to tweak the registry a bit:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/mini-faq-samsung-dvd-writers-220607/#post1803665

Do that, and burn another TDK disc with the Sammy and scan it back in the same drive and post the results. Samsungs are known to be very lenient on media being very good readers, so if an all-Samsung job shows problems (assuming that drive is not also having mechanical problems) then it’s safe to assume that the discs themselves are useless.

I have similar problem with this particular TDK DVD+R PI discs. I actually had no problem with them when I first burned these bunch of discs around a year ago (with Nero and verification after burn); and I have used these discs on computers other than mine. After several months, when I tried to retrieve data (and movies obviously) from the DVD+R discs, I couldn’t read anything from them at all!!! I tried several PCs, from old ones to newer ones, none of them work. The best that I can get is to open the disc directory on my own laptop (in which I burned these DVDs). I checked every single burned DVDs from this pack, none of them work.

I am suspecting that there must be something else other than the disc quality, since I have a pack of TDK PI DVD-R, all of them are still working fine even after a year.

Interesetingly, I placed one of the DVD+R discs which has my holiday photos burned on it in my TV-DVD player, it works fine! Unfortunately it cannot read the avi and divx files, otherwise I can always test it out. I am sure the data are still on the disc, but I am looking ways to retrieve them.