DVD-R SONY08D1 - any good?

I have been using IMATION and MAXELL DVD-R medias sucessfully on my LG 4163B A105 and no coasters so far.

Today i found this SONY DVD-R on my reseller, purchased one for tests, and i’d like to know if they are REAL sony or a fake. Also, are these ANY GOOD???

Should i purchase these instead of the imations and maxwells???

THANKS!!

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID SONY08D1
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 09
2x Speed OPC power 0C
2x Write Strategy field 1 12 A8 88 90
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 16
4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0E 09 04
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 06 0C 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 08
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 16
4x Write Strategy field 4 18 97 88 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 B7 9B B8 83 00 30
4x Write Strategy field 6 0F FF D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0E 10 .j…@…R…
00000010 87 88 80 00 03 53 4F 4E 59 30 38 00 04 44 31 00 …SONY08…D1.
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 09 0C 12 …

From what I’ve read recently on this forum, the Sony’s don’t seem to do too well in accelarated ageing tests to see how well they hold up over time. Are the 08D1’s under the Sony label?

The Maxell’s in my opinion are the best choice, but only if you are 100% certain that they are Made in Japan only. If they aren’t or you aren’t sure, then I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole as they may be Ritek’s.

In my opinion I wouldn’t use Maxell (unless its MIJ), Imation or the Sony discs - I would look for Verbatim 16x or Taiyo Yuden - is this availible where you live?

i’m getting a little tired of repeating everytime…laughs… :smiley:

I know Verbatim and TY are the best i can find, but they are just not sold here in my country!!! :disagree:

so, thats why i said Maxell and Imation were the best choices i had so far… I prefer not to go with Ritek, Princo, Multilaser, NewStar, MMX, TW Universal, etc, etc…

With LG 4163, the SONY08D1 will do just fine at 8x. You will find similar result with your Maxell DVD-R (MXLRG03).

The Maxell at my reseller are not MXLRG03 anymore, they are Ritek05 now… :doh:

I’m basically using Imations (FUJIFILM03).

Are the Sonys better or worse than these Imations???

Thanks!!!

The SONY08D1 is [B]A LOT[/B] better than RITEKG05 and FUJIFILM03 in your LG 4163, as well as in many burners.

i guess you are making me switch DVD brands from now on… :flower:

What about this aging problem that someone mentioned on a previous post???

What other brand and MID do you have there?

What about this aging problem that someone mentioned on a previous post???
I wouldn’t worry about that if I were you. :wink:

You seem to imply, with the wink, that it’s nonsense… why is that? :confused: - you may choose to dismiss C’t tests results, but then I’d be interested in knowing your reasons. :slight_smile:

Nope. Actually my wink ( :wink: ) is just a reply to his/her flower ( :flower: ). :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

There is a distinction between my statement and your question. My statement is intended for mabhz situation. Simple reason: If and if I were mabhz, who cannot even find high quality media in his/her local area in the country, why would I worry about the test?

• you may choose to dismiss C’t tests results, but then I’d be interested in knowing your reasons. :slight_smile:
    Having around 78 different MIDs/brands (13 CD-R/RW and 65 DVD±R/RW/DL), I have my own preferences. :slight_smile: But don’t get me wrong, I respect such researches and I’m not a media expert.

There is a distinction between my statement and your question.
I see it clearly now. And I concur. :iagree: - thanks for the clarification :cool:
But don’t get me wrong, I respect such researches and I’m not a media expert.
Neither am I. :bigsmile: - I’ll leave this honour to [B]Dakhaas[/B], [B]OC-Freak[/B] and some others :wink:

About these tests, I follow them closely and include them in my “overall” perspective for choosing media. My problem with them is that they give an “overall” grade for stability. I’d be interested in two different gradings, including/excluding [I]light exposure[/I], for the obvious reason that if some media are more prone to degradation from light exposure but are stable in high heat/humidity conditions, I’d have no problem to use them. Anyone who uses proper storing has nothing to fear from degradation due to light exposure. :rolleyes: - this is more a concern for CDRs laying around in the car… :bigsmile: - YMMV of course.

I even suspect this played an important part in the bad test results for TY DVD media. This is conjecture of course, based on previous experience with TY CDR media, but considering I detect absolutely no degradation of my TYG02 discs, there must be a twist somewhere… :confused:

I went through one spindle of these a few months ago. Checking back through my saved quality tests, the Liteon 1693 liked these disks, the Benq 1620 and 1655 were happy with them, but the Nec 3550 really disliked them. The LG 4167 which I had at that time would only write them at 4x, but the results were good.

i have the sony’s you mentioned 8x dvd-r MIT … they work great for me on my
sony dru 800 a

i also have sony dvd+r 8x and they are also good

you may want to check this thread for scans

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=78112&page=2#post1365336