DVD+/-R? Some questions

Hello, I know this has probably been asked before but I’m a newbie so here goes, other than price, what is the difference between a DVD+R and a DVD-R?

Also, I’m getting a DVD writer for christmas (it burns + and - discs) and was wondering if there was a way of making 1:1 copies of existing DVD’s as most are more than 4.7GB? What software would allow this?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Originally posted by marcyjones

what is the difference between a DVD+R and a DVD-R?

Also, I’m getting a DVD writer for christmas (it burns + and - discs)

and was wondering if there was a way of making 1:1 copies of existing DVD’s
as most are more than 4.7GB? What software would allow this?

Should you go plus or minus? - Picking the right format

Are you getting a DVD writer for X-mas ? Has this been negotable with Santa Klaus ? :wink:

A similar Q & A > Compress & Copy all in one program?

Yes I’m getting this DVD writer
http://www.tadara.com/items-id=11806.htm
Thanks for your help

Yes I’m getting this DVD writer http://www.tadara.com/items-id=11806.htm
Thanks for your help
You’re welcome & congrats w your X-mas present ! :smiley:

One other question regarding MadBob’s CloneDVD/AnyDVD guide, when using AnyDVD to make a complete clone of a DVD onto one DVD-R/+R will it do it no matter what the size of the DVD you’re copying? And if so it obviously uses some sort of compression so will the copy work on a normal DVD player (media compatability issues asside)?

One other question regarding MadBob’s CloneDVD/AnyDVD guide, when using AnyDVD to make a complete clone of a DVD onto one DVD-R/+R will it do it no matter what the size of the DVD you’re copying? And if so it obviously uses some sort of compression so will the copy work on a normal DVD player (media compatability issues asside)?

It doesn’t matter… but it does… :wink:

CloneDVD can (like any transcoding program) clone a fully filled DVD9 tot DVD5 without troubles. There’s just one thing you have to keep in mind, that is the stronger the compression is, the worse the image quality gets.
CloneDVD has a nice indicator for this. I wouldn’t recommend more than 40% compression, as these transcoding programs can’t get the best out of compressing video (re-encoding would be better, but it costs a lot of time).

the stronger the compression is, the worse the image quality gets

I have to differ with this just a bit. With Shrink, there does not seem to be any difference in picture quality with higher compressions levels, assuming one uses the deep analysis option. It’s looks great right up to the point where you start getting picture breakup in high density scenes. Sort of like Satellite TV does when it rains. To me that’s different from “low quality” picture. It’s more of a all-or-nothing thing. Even though you may get the break-up in some scenes, the rest of the flik looks great.