DVD+R/RW wins format war?

vbimport

“The plus and dual-drive (offering +RW/-RW burning capability) formats are the clear winner at this point on the PC side of the market. According to NPD data for April, +R/RW drives controlled 56.4 percent of the market and dual drives 38.5 percent. In comparison -R/RW drives had 3.8 percent with RAM at less than 1 percent for that month.”

ARTICLE

I wonder why people still buy single format burners :eek:

Originally posted by alexnoe

I can imagine ppl buying DVD+R drives. I went into town yesterday to get me some DVD-R media (for my dad, as his DVD player doesn’t do DVD+R). It’s quite hard to get DVD-R media when shopping in computer stores like Vobis (out of 8 shops, only 2 shops had DVD-R media, and at one shop a DVD-R costed ?8 a piece!!!), and that just may be a reason for many people to choose the cheap solution, a DVD+R drive…

Because not everybody has cash to blow, and DVD+R seems to be the most compatible format. And DVD+R media are available at Best Buy… wait, that’s just on my account.:bigsmile:

Here, all stores have dvd+ and dvd- media…at ridiculous prices! There is no way except for ordering online…for example, MakroMarkt only has Princo and Vivastar crap, at prices at which I get Maxell discs at www.snogard.de, if they happen not to be off stock.

and DVD+R seems to be the most compatible format.
Funny that people continue to quote that from others who had bad luck with Princo :Z DVD-R media :frowning:

If DVD+ wins, then Princo (and all the ones which sell Princo, such as bulqcrap) is the one to blaim! (no, that is no joke)

i always buy no-name (princo without label) dvd-r…
and they work perfectly

dvd-r seems to be the most supported format in stand-alone dvd players til now

for Dutch people who need dvd +/- r(w) media;
http://shop.cdfreaks.com

Edit:

diam, I should advertise our shop !!! :bigsmile:

I have one princo which degraded within 8 weaks so much that no drive can read it any longer :Z

Did you know that the Nec 1300 has been delayed and delayed because they had problems with cheap noname dvd-r media?

strange…they play very well in my players…
even afther weeks…and i am not carefull with them

but i keep an eye on them…the first ones i burned for 4 months or so…still playing fine

Cos in the UK NEC ND-1000a burners are 86 quid :wink:

http://secure.addonsonline.co.uk/addon/code/products.asp?partno=CD4210

With DVD+R’s inabilty to play in a number of drives,and it’s normally higher price,i doubt if it could be looked at as a winner

@Ruffrob: The winner is who is selling more…whether or not this is good :wink:

Originally posted by Ruffrob
With DVD+R’s inabilty to play in a number of drives,and it’s normally higher price,i doubt if it could be looked at as a winner

So then one would ascertain from your statement that -R is 100% compatible is it? Oh and in the UK i have yet to see + only drive with a retail (not offer) price more expensive than a - only retail (not offer) price.

Like alexnoe said “goodness” has not got a right lot to do with it.

So then one would ascertain from your statement that -R is 100% compatible is it?
really good (and usually rather expensive) dvd-r are close to that, princo and bulqcrap is far away …

> With DVD+R’s inabilty to play in a number of drives

Right, and you prefer VW to audi cars because audi cars
sometimes have mechanical problems. Beyong the logical
flaw, you might want to read a bit about practical studies
and technical papers on compatibility.

> and it’s normally higher price

What do you mean “normally higher” ? If - is cheaper in
your country, don’t assume it is the same in the entire
world (it’s not). “Normally” - media should be more
expensive than + media, as they are more complicated
to make.

Independent company:
> According to NPD data for April, +R/RW drives
> controlled 56.4 percent of the market and dual drives
> 38.5 percent. In comparison -R/RW drives had 3.8
> percent with RAM at less than 1 percent for that
> month.

Pioneer:
> The DVR-A06 will be released in the summer this year
> and builds on the success of the DVD-R/RW format that
> accounted for 70 per cent of the DVD writers shipped
> worldwide in 2002.

Wow, that’s a very unstable market :slight_smile:

really good (and usually rather expensive) dvd-r are close to that, princo and bulqcrap is far away …

Hi Alex, I honestly believe mate that a lot of the time when people say a +R disc wont work in a standalone it is because they have burnt it wrong or it is crap media. Of course they won’t work in some but there are some that won’t play -R media also. I only use Infinity DVD+R which seems to be of a very high quality, maybe that’s why I have a good success rate with +R.

After all it isn’t that long since CD-R didn’t work in some hi-fi’s and portables but people seem to have forgot that, as the market evolves both formats will become 100% compatible and it wont make a blind bit of difference which format you prefer.

Hi Alex, I honestly believe mate that a lot of the time when people say a +R disc wont work in a standalone it is because they have burnt it wrong or it is crap media.
This is the most common problem in so-called “tests”.
Either they use princo and ricoh media only, or they burn with Nero using DVD-Video template, or something similar.
An indication that such errors have been made in a tests is if several players did not play any written dvd.

“Normally” - media should be more
expensive than + media, as they are more complicated
to make.
Then I wonder why DVD+ does not lower media prices. This would be the easiest way to knock out DVD- …

Wow, that’s a very unstable market
Indeed. But don’t forget that the first cheap DVD+ burner became available this year (the nec 1100). It’s natural that DVD+ increases sales by offering cheap burners.

When i said that,it’s only based on my own experiences,just today I was in Best Buy,as an example of how -R is more entrenched in the US home,the salesman told me,by and large,they (Best Buy) can’t seem to keep the -R’s in stock,while the +R’s occupy the shelves,I speak for my view only,and while it’s not definitive,a large chain like Best Buy can be seen as a gauge of DVD recordable buying habits…

Why this nonsense keeps happening - my media of choice is better than yours, xxx stocks this or that, my player plays this or that.

Get whatever you want for yours needs - both will be around for ages.

+r has advantages over -r for some things, ram over both -r/+r for data and video. Endless bullshit arguments.

> the salesman told me,by and large,they (Best
> Buy) can’t seem to keep the -R’s in stock,while
> the +R’s occupy the shelves,I speak for my
> view only,and while it’s not definitive,a large
> chain like Best Buy can be seen as a gauge of
> DVD recordable buying habits…

If you think you can accurately guess the US
market situation from what any single salesman
tells you, good for you. I prefer to trust detailed
market studies from specialized companies.