DVD-R/RW takes lead as it prepares faster -R DL media

I just posted the article DVD-R/RW takes lead as it prepares faster -R DL media.

D4rk0n3 used our news submit to tell us that plans are being
put in place to start ramping up mass production of 8x -R Dual Layer media as
well as compatible recorders for the second…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11565-DVD-R_RW-takes-lead-as-it-prepares-faster--R-DL-media.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11565-DVD-R_RW-takes-lead-as-it-prepares-faster--R-DL-media.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Eh? My +R’s are ahead of -R’s by well over 2 to 1. And that’s only because when I bought my first burner over a year ago I rushed out and stocked up on both formats. I haven’t bought any -R in over 6 months, and have easily bought 400 +R’s in the same period.

The goog news should be: - Both -R & +R DL, will cost less 60%!:S Dam prices…:r

I have two DL/DVD writers and have never tried to burn a DL disc. It is just not cost effective to do so. If they can ever get production up enough to make the cost reasonable there may be less interst in HD/BlueRay as a solution for mass storage or even for some HD content. I can only hope that the ad below from OfficeMax indicates a trend in the right direction. MEMOREX 15-Pack 2.4x Double-Layer DVD+Rs Save $20 $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) thru Mar 4 +Add to Shopping List '¢ 8.5GB of data storage '¢ 240 minutes video storage '¢ 2.4x write speed compatible #2101-7267 :slight_smile:

DVD-R/RW takes lead as it prepares faster -R DL media Yes i can see how making an even faster version of your already hugely incompatible media can be seen as a winner, i think.

“DVD-R/RW takes lead as it prepares faster -R DL media Yes i can see how making an even faster version of your already hugely incompatible media can be seen as a winner, i think.” Heh heh, yeah, I agree. I don’t care how much they cost or how fast they are if they can’t burn well. A cheap and fast coaster is still a coaster. :slight_smile:

DVD-R AND DVD-RW are entirely different to DVD-RDL! … how will DVD-R AND DVD-RW take the lead because of the DL? Also - yes it’s incompatable - i’m not willing to deal with it - and from experiences with +RDL - it’s not the speed that counts at that cost!