DVD+-R/RW suddenly not recognising DVD+RW Discs

Hello Peeps and boffins of the forum,

As Leia once said, you are my only hope!!

I’m going bald trying to figure this out :doh: (“yes”, I’m a newbie and “yes”, I am no technical wizz!)… a few weeks back, I was happily able to burn my home videos to DVD RW discs (Philips… not cheap!), using my Philips DVDR1628 internal drive. I went away for 2 weeks, so no new software (as far as I’m aware) has been installed, and suddenly the computer doesn’t want to acknowledge that I have a DVD RW drive… whenever I insert a blank DVD RW disc, the icon in explorer changes to CD R and the info is that there is no free space on the disc.

It reads proper DVD’s, also reads and burns CD’s. IT doesn’t have an issue with previous DVD RW’s I’ve burnt, but it won’t let me erase them!

Nero ackowledges that it’s a DVD RW drive, but won’t actually burn anything!

I’ve installed the latest Firmware… makes no difference, I’ve uninstalled the drive and re-installed… nothing… How can it be working 1 minute then not the next? Also, when I review the driver info or try to choose a driver in windows XP, they all seem to be CD ROM only… surely there should be a choice for DVD RW?

You guys are the font of knowledge, so any help or advice would be appreciated… oh, and I’ve already restored to the last known date when everything was working fine… nada! :confused:

Thanks,

Mark

Are you positive that in Nero, you selected DVD, and not CD… Also try another program such as IMGBurn and see if it makes any difference.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/philips-dvdr1628-dvdr1648/1248

Are yopu confused by the RW logo on the discs?
What exact media you try to reformat??

Hi, Thanks for the input… no… not confused about what RW means! I’m a newbie to this forum, not completely devoid of computer knowledge! :disagree:

I went and bought some new discs, turns out that the 5 I’d tried were all simply no good… chances of picking 5 useless discs at random out of 15 remaining… probably very high odds! Anyway, the problem is resolved and the drive is working well.

Anywho, thanks for looking at the problem. Sometimes the solution is simpler than the user!! :smiley:

Cheers,

Mark

[quote=mcfcouch1977;2022330]Hi, Thanks for the input… no… not confused about what RW means! I’m a newbie to this forum, not completely devoid of computer knowledge! :disagree:[/quote]I think [B]chef[/B] was meaning that even write-once (i.e. +R) discs have an RW logo on the front. Quite a few people get caught out by this and expect them to be re-writeable ;)…

Glad you got it sorted anyway :slight_smile:

Yup. :wink: