DVD+R/+RW compared to DVD-R/-RW Video Recorders

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a DVD writer, and I found this article quite helpful in considering options between DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW. It has some great information in case you are serious about making DVD videos and not just backing up stuff.

DVD+R/+RW compared to DVD-R/-RW

btw Has anyone used the DVD+R for backing up PS2 games?:confused:

This site is not helpful at all, since it contains some FUD / crap information. It is only helpful to show that dvd+rw manufacturers have to make up such nonsense because there are no real advantages over dvd-rw for pc drives to mention.

Thanks for the reply.

No wonder I am confused as to which one is good. However there is one thing I cant figure out, If DVD+R/RW is not better than DVD-R/RW, then why waste time/money and bring out something that is more expensive to the consumer.:confused: So with that reasoning I set out to research the differences. But seems I am not on the right track.

Could you please tell me of a site or article that would show the differences without any prejudice. So I can get a better picture. Much appreciated and thanks for your input, I almost went out to buy a DVD+R and then your reply came and I stopped.:eek:

However there is one thing I cant figure out, If DVD+R/RW is not better than DVD-R/RW, then why waste time/money and bring out something that is more expensive to the consumers

Because there are enough who buy it…and of course, 2.4x speed rewriting is faster than what dvd-rw offers.
But the lower compatibility of dvd+rw is the problem which makes it bad for pc drives.

Could you please tell me of a site or article that would show the differences without any prejudice.

I really wonder if there is any :frowning:

I recommend you to wait for Sony to launch their combo drive for DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W. Then you can find out on your own…

Thanks for the great assistance.

I just read about the Sony dru500 combo writer. It will be out soon, so I will take your advice and wait for it. Its coming around november.:wink:

The whole “-” and “+” war is really all about royalties/patents and whoever wins… gets to charge for royalties for the production of disks etc.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/comparison.html which ahmed linked to is a comparison between standalone recorders. http://www.dvdplusrw.org/pc/pccomparison.html is a comparison between PC drives.

*Accurate lossless linking
*Rewriting part of a disc
*Defect management and accurate addressing during recording

are the main advantages with DVD+RW. That makes the format more suitable for backup and drag & drop writing. Besides that the formats are nearly identical and with more or less the same compability.
Verbatim has pretty good FAQ

The Sony drive is indeed very interesting: You can use cheap (and/or fast 4x) DVD-R media for write once and DVD+RW for rewritable purposes.

jsl, even this is FUD!

quote from your link: DVD-RW does not support any form of defect management within the basic system, which could lead to reading errors in a DVD-ROM drive or even hangups of a DVD-Video player when your disc contains a minor error.

This is complete nonsense. “Defect management” means that bad sectors can be mapped to a different location. But if you record something and the discs gets bad then (e.g. bad scratched), it will cause trouble regardless whether it has defect management or not. Error correction data is the same for both formats.

accurate lossless linking is not necessary in any way in PC drives (unless you want to move your PC while recording…), and rewriting parts of the disc is no problem with dvd-rw either! You need packet writing software for both dvd+rw and dvd-rw if you want to rewrite parts of the disc.

This is FUD, FUD and again FUD.

You can be sure that good 4x DVD-R media won’t be too cheap :frowning:

I think everybody should wait for the Sony dru500, it supports both + and - and it’s cheaper than the other dvd-writers. In pre-order it is being sold at $350.

As usual : this was just the opinion of alexnoe,
who is a -rw fanatic, not the Truth. And the
quote about defect management makes perfect
sense, of course.

this was just the opinion of alexnoe,

Most parts if most posts are opinions.

who is a -rw fanatic,

I’m one who realizes that dvd+rw has much fewer advantages than what they state on their FUD page

Could you explain to me how defect management can help reading data which has been destroyed e.g. because of a bad scratch after recording (i.e. a scratch which has not been there before recording).
The error correction data must be the same, otherwise dvd+rw could not be read in any dvd-rom without special support.
You’re welcome to give an in-depth techincal explanation which does not contain FUD such as on this terrible page.

So let’s look at more of the statements on this page.

DVD+RW supports replacing parts of a disc’s contents

For normal data discs, this is possible for DVD-RW with packet writing as well as for DVD+RW. This is not an opinion, but a simple matter of fact.
Who uses rw media to store videos?

DVD+RW system supports both CAV and CLV writing

I don’t know of the new 4x DVD-R media supports CAV writing, so I’ll have to find out.

DVD+RW uses the same discs for data and video applications

What “non-the-same” types of discs does dvd-rw use for vide/data? Their “explanation” does not make any connection to this matter.

DVD+RW system offers Mount Rainier drag-'n-drop support

Not of any use as long as crap software such as InCD :Z must be used in order to use Mt Rainier.

…you can optionally write discs in CAV mode, enabling for much higher performance in data applications
This can only be meant when using packet writing crap…for which no properly working software is available (in normal DAO mode the statement would be crap anyway)

DVD+R/+RW recordings offer a longer recording time than DVD-RW

As they admit later on the page on their own, this is not a DVD-R problem, but a Pioneer fault for one specific model of settop dvd recorders.
Using a PC drive, you use the same encoded mpeg2 data, so the recording time is exactly the same.

The DVD+RW format was a nice idea, but it’s rather useless for a lack of readability in older devices, and stating so much FUD instead of real advantages makes them look rediculously. They would not state FUD instead of real advantages if they knew some.

Again: Unlike these FUD writers from dvdplusrw.org, i don’t want to say that one format is better: I only say that dvd+rw is not better than dvd-rw, nothing more, nothing less.
I wouldn’t recommend the combo drive otherwise

> Could you explain to me how defect management can help
> reading data which has been destroyed e.g. because of
> a bad scratch after recording

It does not help, neither did dvdplusrw.org ever claim it
would, so don’t bitch at them for your own misunderstanding
of what they write. For the rest, I’m pretty sure that
trying to convince you would be wasting my time, so I
won’t try.

I now went through the Verbatim FAQ page. It definitely gives much more sense, is much less prejudiced and doesn’t try to use phrases which are easily misunderstood (scnr). Neither do the authors draw rediculous conclusions or write any FUD to make one format look better than it really is.

Could you please tell me of a site or article that would show the differences without any prejudice.

I never thought that, but the Verbatim FAQ seems to meet that requirement pretty well.