DVD+-R/RW 8x Int IDE Retail Advice please!

Hi,

I’m looking at buying this DVD Recorder - LDW - 851S.

I just have a couple of questions and would be incredibly grateful if anybody could answer them for me …

1. How good is it?

2. I’ve noticed on one review that it will only read and record up to 99 mins of media, is this DVD or CD media and does this mean that I’ll have to split some films across 2 DVDs and is this done automatically by software??

3. Will it record on to ‘cheap’ DVDs?

Many thanks,

Mark

PS: any other tips or advice generally or where in the UK to buy it?

Originally posted by sukeysukey
Hi,
I’m looking at buying this DVD Recorder.

Welcome

Been reading your post three times, but there must be something wrong with me eyes…

Edit; poster just edited his post to “851”. I will leave this post unchanged, because 851 in not a - R @ 8X burner.

The only (Lite-On) DVDRW with +/- 8X speed burner I can think of right now is the SOHW 812S
Quite new, but you will find some info/experiences in this forum.
Have not seen any review of this drive yet.

:smiley:

Just typed what it said at dabs.com

Found the full title (sorry for being stupid Lol!) it’s the LDW - 851S.

Cheers!

Just typed what it said at dabs.com
Found the full title (sorry for being stupid Lol!) it’s the LDW - 851S.
Cheers!

Hmm, I just got confused… :confused:

To put it technical, Lite-On 851S is similar to 811S, except for the PUH (pickup head)

First, read this review.
Have a look around in this forum as well and you will get answers on most of yours Q.

BTW, I would still go for 812S…

:cool:

[B]Hi,

I’m looking at buying this DVD Recorder - LDW - 851S.

I just have a couple of questions and would be incredibly grateful if anybody could answer them for me …

1. How good is it?
    [/b]

You get what you pay for. It is good enough for most people, and it depends on your uses. LiteOn does not have the same level of quality control & assurance and more bad drives circulate on the market. But if you’re lucky and get a good drive it should be a good drive overall. Not THE best, but adequate.

[b]

1. I’ve noticed on one review that it will only read and record up to 99 mins of media, is this DVD or CD media and does this mean that I’ll have to split some films across 2 DVDs and is this done automatically by software??
    [/b]

I haven’t heard of 99min DVDs yet :slight_smile: Yes they are referring to the fact it can support writing up to 99min on certified media. The 99min media will still be detected as 80min, but you will need to use overburning feature in your software.

As far as splitting films, this has nothing to do with your DVD Writer, your writer is just that… a WRITER, it’s up to you to use the appropriate software to rip and organise your films.

You can fit 4.7GB (4.38 windows GB :slight_smile: ) on a blank DVD. The drive supports single layer writing. Most new films are stored on dual layers, and may require re-encoding, all this is independant of your writer, as your burner will do what the software tells it to :slight_smile:

[b]

1. Will it record on to ‘cheap’ DVDs?
    [/b]

The LiteON DVD Burner is a good burner, but will have trouble on some media that other burners treat with no problems. In other words, the drive is picky about media. In other words if you are going to be a cheapskate and buy CRAP media you may run into problems. IF you use quality brands and visit this forum regularly to see what people use, you will do just fine. :slight_smile:

Of course if you can afford to pay more and buy a Pioneer A07 or a Plextor, you will get better quality burns on the same media that is problematic on the LiteON. This is not to say, there are pros and cons to every drive.

The LiteON’s DVD-R write quality could use some improvements. A good advantage of a LiteON is the 40x CD-READ and CD-WRITE and excellent quality CD burns combined with bitsetting and ability to use KPROBE to analyse errors on your DVD.

Despite the LiteON’s few shortcomings it’s better to spend less on a DVD Burner, as in 2 months maybe 3 it will be obsolete anyways and you’ll have to worry about 16x burners and dual layers, followed shortly by dual blueray writers :Y

Edit: Changed a very small part that mentioned an illegal innuendo, other wise a very good and thorough post.