DVD-R question!

vbimport

Hello, first post. nice site. I have always encoded dvd’d to vcd format. The quality is okay. I can handle it . I give it a 7/10.
But now that DVD burners are quite affordable I was wondering if it is worth buying one.
I understand that we still need to encode somewhat using a program such as dvd2one. I only care about getting the movie. I don’t care about the menus, extras, etc…
Do I still lose quality in doing so?
Is the quality great or is it worth it?
Is it a hassle converting and burning(more than 2 steps)?
Any help or suggestions would be Great! THANX

Originally posted by ksbradley
Hello, first post. nice site. I have always encoded dvd’d to vcd format. The quality is okay. I can handle it . I give it a 7/10.
But now that DVD burners are quite affordable I was wondering if it is worth buying one.
I understand that we still need to encode somewhat using a program such as dvd2one. I only care about getting the movie. I don’t care about the menus, extras, etc…
Do I still lose quality in doing so?
Is the quality great or is it worth it?
Is it a hassle converting and burning(more than 2 steps)?
Any help or suggestions would be Great! THANX

Hi there , welcome on the forum.

The thing is that most dvd movies come in a DVD9 format , which means it contains of two layers , each about 4.7Gigs in total. A movie could be about 9 Gigabytes big !

To get this working on a DVD-R or +R disc (burning it) , one has to modify the data from 9 to 4.7 , since there are no dual layer dvd writers.

You could do this by removing a lot of stuff (menu’s , extra’s , etc) , but if the movie data is just too big , you’d have to recompress this to get it on one dvd. There is quality loss of course , but sometimes it’s hardly noticable.

You can use dvd2one for this , but there are also some freeware tools and CloneDVD is about to get released as well. DVD2One doesn’t write.

There are tools that supply an overall solution as well as tools that just do one thing in the process.

Processes :

1 : Get rid of copy protections , macrovision, region codes , etc
2 : Recompress the data so it will fit on one DVD disc
3 : Write

I was wondering if someone could help me with some questions.

I want to buy a DVD burner, but I want to try and keep it cheap.

Does anyone know if the NEC ND-1100A is a good buy for only $160.00? I want to try and keep the price down, but if anyone else has any sugestions, please let me know. :bigsmile:

Pioneer A05 is around 160 and is by far one of the best burners! If you have the cash go for the dual sony one.