DVD-R Quality Review

I would like to know what make of dvd-r is the best to buy. I have used Memorex with no problem but now I am looking for availability and smaller price. Is Princo’s Legacy a good bet? Or Butterfly Media? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by bpk017
I would like to know what make of dvd-r is the best to buy. I have used Memorex with no problem but now I am looking for availability and smaller price. Is Princo’s Legacy a good bet? Or Butterfly Media? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

I am confused about what exactly you want. Quality? Price? Brand? Availability?

There are many manufacturers that make CD and DVD media for Memorex. If Memorex is not cheap enough for you and you still want “quality”, then I can’t think of one. Why not try several differently-branded media from your source at once to see which is best for you?

Memorex DVD-R can be Ritek ( :frowning: ), CMC ( :Z ) and Taiyo Yuden ( :slight_smile: )

Princo DVD-R are :Z .

If you want to gamble, try to get Ritek G03. They are cheap, and only a few batches are bad.
If you don’t want to gamble, then get non-rebadged 2x certified discs (you find the list in the DVD Hardware Forum).

At least a few major media importers/distributors/resellers in Seoul imports Princo/CMC media and sell them for $4 per disk when Verbatim 2x-certified DVD-R media can be found for $2.8 per disk. (US$0.5 is the OEM price for Princo 1-2x DVD-R.)