DVD-R or DVD+R

vbimport

So far the one thing I’ve noticed majorly while burning backup DVD’s is that DVD-R seems to be ultrally picky. While most movies play acceptably in the XBox it seems like stand-alone players (My Allegro (Zenith made unit) ABV341 for instance) seems to have problems playing the DVD-R’s properly.

Now I have a Lite-On 451S@851S and was wondering, since I’m getting some Ritek DVD+R’s hopefully tomorrow) and know I can change the booktype setting with the booktype tool - what book-type setting should I use and will they be more compatible then the DVD-R’s especially with the Lite-On burner? Seems the Lite-on’s don’t like DVD-R’s as well as some burners - of course I could be wrong in that. I know a lot of you folks seem to live by and use +R’s for everything, just wondering if my success rate will be further improved by moving entirely to +R and maybe just saving -R’s for general data and such in the future? Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :slight_smile:

speaking strictly about format compatibility (and not about burn quality/pickiness, which is a whole other subject), in my experience, i’ve never had a dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom be unreadable in any device that can read pressed dvds, which includes every dvd player in my house, my xbox, and several friends’ and relatives’ players/devices. in my opinion, dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom is the most compatible recordable format, and i use dvd+r pretty much exclusively because of this, but for data backup, either format is fine.

Hi all. Being new to all the DVD burning and media types etc. I wanted to be sure of what type of media to buy to be compatable with DVD players ( I have a panasonic, nuthin special)

I thought I had this all figured out … but as I read I’m not sure now. I thought the -Rs were most compatable with home DVD players. I was just at a local computer show and bought 50 SKC DVD -Rs. Was this the wrong thing to get for home DVD players?

thanks,
joe

Originally posted by Jj4

what type of media to buy to be compatable with DVD players

…bought 50 SKC DVD -Rs. Was this the wrong thing to get for home DVD players?
Taiyo Yuden

Only you can tell. Otherwise SKC have always produced good media.

Ahh… thx, I think I finally have it!

DVD -Rs are not necessarily the right choice for home DVD, unless of course they are. And being such then DVD +Rs would do just fine, especially when they are tricked into being DVD -Rs. Of course if you trick a DVD - to be a DVD + you will get a DVD * which as everyone knows is many times better than worse.

right? :iagree:

thanks,
joe

is there a list of dvd burners that can chage book type? i thought you could only change book type on a -RW or a +RW. currently the dvd burner that i have doesnt change book type. atleast i dont think so. i’m working with an optorite dd0401.

Got my new batch of DVD+R’s. So far using the DVD-Rom booktype all the movies that I have backed up (5 or 6) have played perfectly in both the Xbox and my very picky Zenith Stand-alone (Some stuttering but that is another issue dealing with that particular player I guess with DVDR media). Very good results and I’m impressed, I’m converted over to DVD+R permanently now I guess. :smiley: