DVD-R or DVD+R

vbimport

Hi. I want to purchase a dvd burner, mainly to record TV show off cable tv. I understand that there are a dvd-r and dvd+r technologies out there. Pioneer drive is dvd-r, HP dvd200i and the soon to be released sony drive are dvd+r. Any suggestion on which to buy. I think dvd's that recorded on either technology are playable on most dvd home deck players. Thanks for any input.

P.S.: Will be using ATI AIW Radeon to capture to mpeg2 format then burn to dvd disk.

> Any suggestion on which to buy.

I suggest DVD-R(W). It’s slower (2x DVD-R, 1x DVD-RW, 2,4x DVD+R(W)), but media is cheaper and the DVD-RW are more compatible than DVD+RW.

Since DVD+R was released only short time ago, nobody can really assess its compatibility. I doubt that it is even more compatible than DVD-R, but it could be as compatible as it.

Note that if you choose DVD-R(W), there’s no “combo”-drive which is be able to serve also as CD-writer and reader properly.

Have a look at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45525

I was watching TechTV, a tv station in the US, and they were discussing speeds of dvd writers, and apparently a 2x dvd burner is equal to a 18x cd burner, or 24x. Something like that. I had never known.

Well, best is to buy a compatible +/- drive :slight_smile:
Now if you want only one format, check this
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/comparison.html

Note also that as times goes by, chances increase that
DVD+R(W) will be the future standard ; DVDRAM is already
obsolete, DVD-R(W) could very well be next year.

Finally there has been a lot of discussions about DVD-RW
being more compatible with existing players than DVD+RW,
but I don’t believe it. If you’re interested in technical
details, see
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/2waycompatibility.pdf

In short, if I were to buy now I would go for + technology.

Well, best is to buy a compatible +/- drive

iirc sony announced one, but it will be released only by the end of this year :frowning:

Finally there has been a lot of discussions about DVD-RW
being more compatible with existing players than DVD+RW, but I don’t believe it

EVERY player that can handle dual layer dvd-roms can physically read dvd-rw. Only problems could be that
a) dvd-rw is inhibited artificially
b) a player is confused because the dvd looks like dual layer but hasn’t any second layer (could be solved by firmware update)
c) low quality media makes trouble. verbatim definetly are good ones, and i couldn’t find any dvd-rom till now that refused reading verbatim dvd-rw (while some refuse pioneer, princo etc).

1x DVD is 1380 kB/s.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/comparison.html

Nice dreams they have. But if dvd+rw met the dvd-rom specs, then every drive could read them (except a) - c)) .

> EVERY player that can handle dual layer dvd-roms can
> physically read dvd-rw. Only problems could be that
> blablabla

FYI I have worked on burners for the 3 rewritable formats
so I don’t need explanations on compatibility issues.
From my work, my opinion is that DVD+RW is a better
standard than DVD-RW, and is not less compatible with
existing drives. If you disagree, post technical arguments,
because your SHOUTINGS don’t impress me.

>> http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/comparison.html
>
> Nice dreams they have. But if dvd+rw met the dvd-rom
> specs, then every drive could read them (except a) - c)).

Blah, whatever. You gave your advice, I gave mine,
the original poster will decide, end of discussion.

blablabla

Good argument.

I don’t know where you’re from, but that’s considered a little bit impolite here…usually people use this phrase if they can’t think of anything that makes sense.

And of course people who got into the trap to buy something stupid and can’t believe it now (in de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner, especially AOpen-users are likely to).

So calm down. You’ve survived my “shouting”, so everything is fine.

From my work, my opinion is that DVD+RW is a better standard than DVD-RW.

So you had to rewrite lots of media and therefor used the advantage of much higher rewriting speed?

end of discussion.

Do you really believe that you decide when a discussion ends? If you could, you had already closed the thread, being afraid that someone else could post some information which do not match you faith (correct me if “faith” is nonsense at this position)

To everyone : Can we keep it friendly here please ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and since there is not a steady standard yet set in the world of dvd writing there are a lot of possibilities.

For nice healthy information check The DVD dilemma

This should really be in the DVD section :slight_smile:

Some of the info in the links listed above is a little dated. Now that the second generation HP200i and Sony are out, DVD+R media has been released and compatibility with DVD players is already listed on HP’s web site. It is compatible with most mainstream DVD players as is the DVD-R media.

Although I can see Alexnoe’s points, I have to agree with spath. I researched the situation and purchased 2 HP200i DVD recorders (DVD+R). The final big selling point was that I felt that the DVD+R technology was superior (I know that the superior technology does not always win). DVD+R media can be written to until full. DVD-R media can only be written to once, at the moment. I know that will change, I am sure, but I feel the potential upside will always favor the DVD+R.

i know that DVD+R media costs more, but that will change shortly. it always does.

That’s my opinion and where my money went. Others certainly are entitiled to disagree.

i know that DVD+R media costs more, but that will change shortly

Here, it is hard even to get DVD+R media (alternate offers them each 13 Euro, dvd-r are 4 (plasmon etc) - 7 (verbatim) Euro each at eBay). So please define “shortly”…

AFAIK both DVD+ and DVD- are going to develop 4x-writers…the war won’t end…

If Sony manages to release that super-combo-drive they announced, they’ll make really a lot of money!

ahhh, its going to be like everything else. sit back, and wait for bill gates to decide

Find more information here: http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/ikonboard/forums.cgi?forum=2

DVD+R: 2.4x $3.8 - $5?
DVD+RW: 2.4x $4 - $7?

DVD-R: 1x-rated $1.4 - $2?
DVD-R: 2x-rated $2-3 - $4-5
DVD-RW: 1x - $2

Compatibility with existing DVD-Video Players and DVD-ROM PC Drives: Not much difference between DVD+R and DVD-R. ±R much better than ±RW. Again, not much difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

Yes, DVD-R is much cheaper than DVD+R NOW and the price difference will disappear soon. For those who are going to record hundreds or even thousands of DVD discs during this summer, DVD-R will do. For other people who are new to DVD recording, DVD+R/+RW is the best way to go.