DVD-R or DVD+R?

I have spent literally all day trying to figure out how to burn movies. (after some suggestions from others) I downloaded WinAvi Converter to change the format of .AVI so I could burn them, so I did that. Then I downloaded Nero 7 Ultra Edition to get them to burn on the CDs. Im about to lose my mind. I have DVD+R discs (suggested by the worker at Walmart) and when I use Nero Express to add the files (VOB, IFO, BUP) to burn it doesn’t do anything… the status bar doesn’t respond. I am so confused I had no idea that burning movies to a disk was so damn difficult. Geez… I am not a computer geek, so I need help in lame man terms, please!!!:sad: Am I doing it wrong, did the dumb guy at Walmart tell me the wrong disks to get? What is the difference between the two (-R and +R)? Thank you in advance

Media quality is a key factor if you want to produce good quality “videoDVD”.

I asked the store here about what’s the difference between +R and -R. According to the store clerk, there’s not much of a difference other than some burners doesn’t read +R or -R vice-versa. So far, I haven’t encounter any problems with the DVD R’s that I bought.

You could try asking the guy who sold you the discs if you could return them and have a refund. Or try the -R and see if that will do the trick. Hopefuly, this helps.

If someone could shed us light and provide a better explanation then I would appreciate it as well.

First name the exact brand and type of media you have bought, then i can give you a good suggestion.

There is also a sticky thread about DVD-R & DVD+R.

[QUOTE=spammer xinrerge;2281618]I am a spammer[/QUOTE]… und Tschüss. :cop:

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=melyssa72;2281570 Then I downloaded Nero 7 Ultra Edition to get them to burn (…) and when I use Nero Express to add the files (VOB, IFO, BUP) to burn it doesn’t do anything… the status bar doesn’t respond. [/QUOTE]Where did you get that version from?

Michael

[QUOTE=xinrerge;2281618]I asked the store here about what’s the difference between +R and -R. [/QUOTE]

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/

I doubt the banned spammer will read your reply, Mr. Belvedere! :wink:

Like I said I am really new to this… I got Sony DVD+R disc… but now I am wondering if I even have a burner… here is my drive information:

Sony DVD-Rom DDu1615
TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B

Don’t have a clue as how to find out… I feel so dumb…:eek:

It looks like you have a DVD Rom drive, which can read dvds and cds. And you have a cd burner, which can read and write to cds. But you don’t have a drive that can burn dvds.

[QUOTE=melyssa72;2281846]Like I said I am really new to this… I got Sony DVD+R disc… but now I am wondering if I even have a burner… here is my drive information:

Sony DVD-Rom DDu1615
TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B

Don’t have a clue as how to find out… I feel so dumb…:eek:[/QUOTE] Unfortunately, none of those drives will burn any DVD media.

The Sony DVD-ROM DDu1615 will read CDs and DVDs but won’t write anything.

The Toshiba/Samsung TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B will read CD media and burn CD-R and CD-RW media. It will neither read nor write any DVD media.

EDIT: Kerry56 replied while I was writing this up.
You would need to get a new DVD burner in order to burn any DVD media. You can either buy an internal drive to replace either of your two current drives, or buy an external drive that can be attached with a USB cable. An internal drive is the cheaper option and the external drive is the easier option.

For most purposes, it doesn’t matter if you use DVD-R or DVD+R as long as it’s good quality media (e.g. Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden as first choices and e.g. Sony or HP as secondary choices).

EDIT: Kerry56 replied while I was writing this up.

So burning .avi movies that I converted wont work at all in either of my drives… So my only choice is to buy a burner for movies right? It won’t work like a CD for music? I can’t use the same disc I use for music for movies? I have burned music with no problem. Sorry to sound clueless but I am …lol:doh:

If you have converted avi to dvd-video format, then no, you don’t want to burn them to cds. There is a format called VCD (video cd ) and another called SVCD which can be used with most dvd players, but very few people still use these formats anymore. DVD drives and media have gotten so inexpensive that these older cd formats have fallen by the wayside.

Nero can make either of those formats for you to burn to cds if you want to try them. VCD in particular is much lower quality though.

Replacing a drive isn’t hard, and not all that costly anymore. If you are in the US, you can get a new drive from Newegg for approximately $30 shipped. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011

Can you get an exteranal dvd burner? Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.:flower:

OMG I am about to throw my computer out the window!! I gave up on the movies cause I now know I need a burner. So I tried to burn some songs. This I have done but with other type disks. I bought memorex Music CD-R 40X 700MB 80min Disks and now it won’t burn my music to these… geez louise!! Talk about some luck… any help guys? What disks do I need to get this done? thank you again.

Are you using Nero to burn an audio cd? There are a lot of things you can be doing wrong, is the program ur using set to the right drive (ur burner, not the dvd-rom). If ur using Nero, is it set to CD and not DVD? You should google some tutorials for whatever program ur using to burn with, there’s a lot of 'em out there.

You can get an external burner for your computer and hook it up via a USB cable. They are more expensive.

I don’t often burn audio cds, so I can’t help much. I do know that a lot of our members use a little program called Burrrn to make their cds. http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Audio-CD-DVD-Burning/Burrrn.shtml

For the movies, you could either burn them on standard cd if your player can make use of mpeg4/divx format, or convert them to VCD/SVCD format and burn onto CD-R.
Otherwise you would need a dvd burner to crete/burn VideoDVD or if you have a player with usb port you could copy the flicks onto usb and play them back from there…